SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm officially envious - Grandson's new toy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm officially envious - Grandson's new toy Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I'm confused, why is the Deere dressed like a Cat?

They are both black and yellow, but that's definitely a Deere.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15232 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks PHPaul, I appreciate it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
It’s refreshing to see/hear someone working hard and using good business sense to succeed. I pray he continues to work hard and stay safe with continued success. I noticed you mentioned he may add a mulcher head in the future. I’ve looked at those in the past and they’re pretty pricy. The particular model always depends on the machine it’s going to be used with and the type of work you’ll be doing. Please keep us updated on his progress!

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1894 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing it’s a worker safety thing. .

I got my nephew aradio controlled excavator and dump truck for his sand box.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Okay, condensed version:

He has a 26G with cab. 6100-ish pounds, LOVES it.

Has dug up 4K pound stumps, installed a building pad, cleared trails, lifted a 1000+ pound snowplow into a truck, pushed over small trees.

His only minor complaint is that it could use a bigger counterweight. The hydraulics will lift stuff at full extension of the boom that tips the whole machine. Altho, IMHO, that's probably a Good Thing to keep one from overtaxing the machine.

He did say that a hydraulic thumb is a must. Adds immeasurably to the usefulness of the machine.

If you have specific questions, let me know, I'll pass them on.

Posts: 15232 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks PHPaul, As I said. Looking at a used 27D which is a comparable machine. Slightly larger. But not by much.
It is a bit smaller than I would really like. A 7000lb+ machine would be my preference. But finding one in my budget is proving to be difficult. On the plus side a 6000lb machine I could move myself. Anything heavier I would need to upgrade my trailer. And would be maxing my pull rig.

You could ask him what he thinks of the 27D model compared to his 26G.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

You could ask him what he thinks of the 27D model compared to his 26G.

Sorry, I did. He said he wasn't familiar with it but didn't think there was a lot of difference.

posted Hide Post
I agree with his assessment Paul, we have 22 excavators in our fleet, smallest is a Yanmar 50 on up to a 450 Link Belt, they all have thumbs except for 3 or 4 of the largest machines, they are strictly dirt moving production machines. All of our thumbs are easily removable. We don’t have them on 100% of the time but when you need them they are invaluable. Most of our barge rock work used to be done with cable crane/clam bucket, there are still some jobs that you can’t get away with not going that route but many are much more efficient now using excavators with buckets/thumbs. And our mini excavators? I can’t tell you the value we’ve placed on them in the past 10 years or so. The production we get from these small machines is amazing. I’m glad your grandson is doing well Paul, sounds like a great young man and has a very bright future.

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post