SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bands in bars - volume control?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bands in bars - volume control? Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Found an old video of Konata helping with the school talent show:

Konata88 is Huey Lewis?

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Yea, that was me back in '55.

I'm older, balder and chubbier now. Smile

But I guess my ears are still good. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Takes a special very talented drummer to know how to control how loud they are playing

Most feel the need to be heard instead of knowing how to accompany the other musicians and waiting their turn to show off the skills

Not many of them realize this

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Don't go somewhere with live music, then complain it is too loud.

Either don't go, or wear earplugs.

Reusable silicone earplugs are in order. Like these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d..._cr_id=5966644900501

My hearing is trash from work. I don't like loud restaurants because I can't hear people talk. But going somewhere with live music and complaining you can't have a conversation is silly.

well said.

Posts: 2213 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Guitar amps, especially tube amps, sound and react (feel?) better at a certain volume. Speaker cabinets are also very directional and for the player to hear themselves it needs to be louder unless it's directly facing the player, which is unusual.

As stated, there may be an ego issue but there's more to it than that.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I run a lexan shield in front of my 4x12 at gigs. I just do what the sound guy says from there. Usually he's fine with it being cranked, since the shield will dull the beaming, which is worse than volume. But tube amps do need to be run hard to sound their best. I have a good attenuator and also a master volume box for my heads with loops in them. Between all those I can get my Marshalls to sound good at a tolerable volume. Still, you should always wear earplugs for live music.

Posts: 3540 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I'm of the opinion that all sound board operators are deaf.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Here is some of my experience that I can share.

I have been a roadie for several bands.
I was also the laser technician for Pink Floyd for Momentary Lapse of Reason tour.

No matter the venue, most professional sound engineers, (professional bands have engineers- i.e. degreed as such, like myself) have a DB meter and when sound checks occur, after levelling the sound of each instrument and vocals, then sets Volumes at 110 to 120 db's.

That sounds like it is loud, but when you are filling a volume of space and dealing with different acoustics, should be just fine.
Caveat- the sound should be clean.

Do bar bands do this? NO
Does Eric Clapton and Judas Priest do this? YES

So when seeing some local watering hole band, Arc is correct. If it is annoying, leave. Wear ear protection. Either be prepared for what you are walking into, or leave.

Just my .02

An Example, in my home theater, I run it 120 db's and no one has ever complained that it was too loud or hurt their ears.

Confirmed by all that have attended my Sig shoots, or regular guests, like Swain or JHE888.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly the reason why I won't go to a bar if they have live music. Hell I won't even go to a concert period anymore. I'm sure I sound like a 'Get off my lawn' old man - but you don't need to turn the amps up until peoples ears fucking bleed.

We used to frequent an Irish pub in Minneapolis - they'd commonly have a 2 or 3 piece ACOUSTIC band (strings or pipes) and then crank the volume to 11. There is no reason to be blown out of a place by a 2 piece on acoustic instruments.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A trio, consisting of piano, bass, and drums, had a bar mitzvah gig. The bass player got caught in traffic, so the piano player and the drummer started without him.

After a couple of tunes, the piano player said, "Something doesn't sound right." The drummer agreed, so the piano player said, "You keep playing, I'll go out on the floor for a minute and listen."

The piano player did that, returned, sat down at the piano and resumed, and leaned over and said to the drummer, "I know what's wrong -- too much drum."

The drummer replied, "You keep playing, I'm going to go out front and listen for myself." He did so, came back, started playing again, leaned over to the piano player and said, "You're right!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30677 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post