SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Finally got my Real ID.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally got my Real ID. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I am planning an international trip in a few months. Do I need this to travel? What does a real ID actually do?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I am planning an international trip in a few months. Do I need this to travel? What does a real ID actually do?

If you have a passport you don’t need a Real ID drivers license.

Eventually Real ID will be required for domestic flights (unless you have a passport). They keep pushing the date for that further into the future.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Real ID is a 'Security Theater' construct of the .gov that is supposed to prevent future 9/11 style high-jacking of commercial aircraft. In reality it does nothing but get you a 'Gold Star' on your Drivers License. 'IF' it is ever actually implemented as a mandate for air travel (they've been postponing it for MANY years!), you'll need one to board any domestic flights in the US. That said, your Passport (required for International Travel anyway) will suffice to get you on the plane for your upcoming trip.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8945 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, if passport and state issued DL is all I need that makes me happy. I don't know what the post COVID protocols are for going to the DMV nowadays. At one point they didn't allow walk-ins.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20838 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

You need a passport for international travel. "Real ID" Driver License is not required, and actually is meaningless for international travel.

I don't remember for sure, but I believe that a passport card is not valid for international air travel, I think you need the booklet form of passport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
One of my motivations was for when I buy guns out here in CA.

Had to bring my birth certificate and another document with my address on it because my passport is expired and I didn't have a Real ID.

I had to do the same to buy ammo too. Thank god that just got struck down in the courts as unconstitutional

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3492 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PR64:
I had to do the same to buy ammo too. Thank god that just got struck down in the courts as unconstitutional

That was a pleasing start to my weekend. Cool

Posts: 14687 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've noticed more and more airports are using facial ID and that is compared to your realID license (or Passport). Smaller airports still use manual verification, which is the delay in the mandate from what I understand.

When I went for my license last year, I opted for the RealID as I was doing more travel for work and don't like carrying my passport around (chance of loos, theft, or damage). The DMV clerk was trying to talk me out of it, as if he didn't want to do it. I told him that I was sorry if it was more work for him, but I wanted it done, a supervisor overheard my complaint and took over.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33860 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

…I'm 67 and was born in Louisiana. I have my original birth cert., bit it's fragile and raggedy. It is extremely cumbersome to get a copy from LA. …

I just noticed this post as this thread was bumped. Being in Louisiana I looked to see if I could help you. It seems that I cannot get a copy for you as I am not a close relative, but it appears you can get one with little hassle from an authorized online vendor for $15.

Here’s a link to the Louisiana website:

https://ldh.la.gov/page/how-to-order-birth-records

Scroll down to “INTERNET, FAX AND TELEPHONE”, and look at the link for “VitalChek Network”. Here’s the link if you trust me:

https://www.vitalchek.com/v/vi...29930273374210&ppc=0

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add this gem to the story

Months after obtaining my real Id in ca I get a letter saying I had not documented myself well enough and they were mailing me a letter to my home address to verify that address and all I needed to do was sign and return the letter and that would be proof of residency to them. Such a cluster.

A few years back in order to clean some stuff up I went ahead and ordered a fresh birth certificate from the state and a new soc sec Card from the feds. My original were old and tattered

Just makes me wonder how are all these thousands of newly arriving folks all going to prove their identity? Wait Nevermind…

Posts: 4782 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So we actual Americans will need Soviet-style internal passports to travel inside our own country but all these illegals flooding in are being allowed to fly all over the country with no ID, no documents?

How is this not being challenged in the courts?

Posts: 33860 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We got the stepped up Enhanced DL some states have. Luckily it was a super easy process. It works as a land passport to Canada.

I’ve never had an actual passport but plan to. Not looking forward to that hassle

Posts: 17902 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
My name on my state license, my CCW license, my birth certificate, social security card, and passport do not match. The names are close, but not exact.

You should see the vein popping out of their head when I hand over these documents and they have no idea what to do. I usually just tell them to pick one.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
The oddest thing when I was denied mine because of my laminated SS card is that I remember telling the examiner that this is the same set of ID I used for my license to carry. I said, "So you guys will let me carry a concealed weapon, but you won't put a star on my DL." Pretty silly.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post