SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For vodka (or gin &) tonic fans...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For vodka (or gin &) tonic fans... Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My go to is Beefeaters. For years it had been Tanqueray.

Friends like Ford's, Death's Door, Emperess, and other boutique gins for a change of pace martini

our go to is Bombay Sapphire,
we tried a few others but always went back to Bombay,

not sure if either tonic is available here, will have to look around

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
My go to is Beefeaters. For years it had been Tanqueray.

Friends like Ford's, Death's Door, Emperess, and other boutique gins for a change of pace martini

our go to is Bombay Sapphire,
we tried a few others but always went back to Bombay,

not sure if either tonic is available here, will have to look around

My dad's favorite drink was gin and tonic. I've had most of the standards: Beefeaters, Tanqueray, Seagrams, Bombay Sapphire, etc. My dad mostly drank Seagrams in the earlier years then switched to the Bombay. Basically, all I knew was gins of the London Dry variety and they could be very bitey with the heavy juniper flavor.

I recently had two others recommended to me: Roots of Ruin (from Kentucky), and The Botanist Islay Dry Gin (from Scotland). They have become my go-to gins; very smooth and I can actually drink them neat, if I want to. I can't even taste the juniper in Roots of Ruin and there is just a bit of juniper flavor in The Botanist. If someone is looking for something different, I highly recommend them.

On the tonic side, while I haven't tried it yet, the Q brand gets really good reviews so it is on my to-buy list.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Tried an Elderflower vodka tonic last night and it was very, very good! "Q" brand tonic is hard to find in my town though, but I did manage to find some.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
Tried an Elderflower vodka tonic last night and it was very, very good! "Q" brand tonic is hard to find in my town though, but I did manage to find some.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Curious... no Safeway or Walmart, let alone liquor store that carries Q Mixers or Fevertree in your neck of the woods? The stuff is commonly available in West River although not by the case which I buy online. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gin & tonic is my cocktail of choice, I use Jack Rudy's Tonic Syrup and club soda in place of actual tonic water, it's really really tasty

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My late wife and I discovered tonic while on our boat in the Bahamas. Coke was obscenely expensive while tonic was much more reasonable ( grocery store variety ). We switched and never went back to anything else. Even 25 years later I drink xx U tonic vs. coke.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Curious... no Safeway or Walmart, let alone liquor store that carries Q Mixers or Fevertree in your neck of the woods? The stuff is commonly available in West River although not by the case which I buy online. Smile

When I was growing up we had several liquor stores and two large grocery stores, but not any more! We're now down to two large liquor stores and one large grocery store. I managed to find Q in the second liquor store after some searching, tucked off to the side of the Canada Dry and Schwepps Tonic water and club soda. Smile

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ah! You live out in rural "God's country."

There are numerous beautiful small towns scattered throughout South Dakota, most with very rich history and traditions. There is something to be said for avoiding the urban sprawl even if it is that of relatively small cities like Sioux Falls and Rapid City. Lack of quick ready access to some things is a small price to pay.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I don’t drink a lot of gin or vodka, but I keep both on hand, especially with summer approaching. Ironically, we had friends over last night and he wanted a vodka drink so I joined him. All I had for tonic water is Schweppes, to mix with the Tito’s Vodka I keep on hand. I’ll look for the elderflower variety. FWIW, I like Hendricks for gin.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
I'm going to get some - Our one month of summer is on it's way in Minnesota.

Elderflower Tonic - Total Wine - Bloomington 4200 W. 78th St. Bloomington, MN 55435
What is elderflower tonic?
Fentimans Elderflower Tonic Water is a clear liquid with a fragrant floral aroma with hints of pear-like sweet-smelling notes. This is a beautifully vibrant, mouth-filling drink with a sweet yet natural hit of elderflower, followed by the slightly bitter afternotes of quinine for a clean finish.

Q Elderflower Tonic Water $4.99 - 4x 7.5oz cans Aisle 15, Right , Bay 14
Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic Water 16.9oz btl $2.99
Fever-Tree Elderflower Tonic Water Bottles - 4pk/6.8 fl oz $5.99 Target
Fever-Tree Elderflower Tonic Water Cans (5.07 oz x 8 ct) $8.49

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
Bombay Sapphire here, fevertree also. HUGE gin guy so I will check this out !

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
RGRacing, interesting. Never heard of Fentimans Elderflower Tonic Water. I checked and they too like Fevertree and Q Mixer do not use artificial sweeteners. Fentimans uses sugar.

FWIW Fevertree and Q Mixer tonic water is much cheaper by the case shipped from Amazon or Walmart among others. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have my wife pick up some Fever Tree at the local Target. She's a G&T fan, it'll be a good test.

She and her friend are also fans of Empress Gin and a cocktail they make from it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
For those like me that live out in the country you can order the Elderflower tonic water on Amazon…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Bob, I picked up the fever tree elderflower tonic water. Makes a great gin and tonic. I recently came across some Magrut Lime Leaves. Adding one to the glass definitely enhances the drink. While I don’t have a huge stash, I have enough to send you some to add to your glass.

Also, Hendricks Gin is quite nice.

Also, I noticed a Fever Tree Lime and Yuzu. I picked up a four pack. Some vodka and ice and the lime yuzu makes a quite tasty beverage.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Noah,

This is one of the things I love about this place. Share some information or experiences and others will chime in adding theirs expanding the knowledge base. Big Grin

Two more things I was unaware of to try: Magrut lime leaves and FeverTree Lime & Yuzu.

I've never had Yuzu but the description of that tonic sounds great. Will have to see about acquiring some.

I do add a wedge of fresh lime to my elderflower tonic drinks but those lime leaves sound potent and delicious.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I went to Wally world and saw some Fevertree tonic and bought some. It is very tasty and better the the Schweppes tonic.

I got some of my Silk City gin and gave it a whirl. Gin and tonics are so refreshing and a perfect summer drink.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Instead of duplicating a picture here, I simply am providing a link to it. Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...900026005#5900026005

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Bald, I just picked some up this past weekend after reading this thread, I’m very happy with it! Bombay Saphire and it make a wonderful refreshing drink. I’m that guy that will drink tonic plain but this stuff is wonderful. Thank you for the recommendation

Posts: 454 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
My golly, the Q brand elderflower tonic water is FAR SUPERIOR to the Fever Tree in my opinion. It seems far more floral and the scent surely adds to the taste. I also am not upset by it being a lot more affordable than the Fever Tree.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post