SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For vodka (or gin &) tonic fans...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For vodka (or gin &) tonic fans... Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
While I am a huge fan of gin & tonic (preferably using Fevertree's Indian Tonic), vodka tonic is also great. But to take it to the next level try an elderflower tonic such as that from Q Mixers or Fevertree. Can't recommend this combo highly enough. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
My wife is ... thank you sir.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No need for the added expense of acquiring elderflower liquor. Just use elderflower tonic. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'll take one of each please. Wink

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Never heard of elderflower tonic but I will have to check it out.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Never heard of elderflower tonic but I will have to check it out.

One uses organic agave and the other cane sugar. Neither have any artificial anything. Smile

...and yes, this stuff is pretty darned good in a gin&tonic as well. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Is there a certain flavor it imparts? I’ve not heard of this tonic, but I do like tonic.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Is there a certain flavor it imparts? I’ve not heard of this tonic, but I do like tonic.

In a word yes and it is well worth auditioning.

It has been described as having a "delicate floral sweetness" which contrasts / compliments quinine's slight bitterness. But for me at least that description really doesn't do it justice.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Apparently elderflower has medicinal purposes so that is a great excuse for using it with medicinal vodka!!! Big Grin

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Dayum! Didn't know you folks down there needed excuses to imbibe a wee bit. hehehehehehehehehehe

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Dayum! Didn't know you folks down there needed excuses to imbibe a wee bit. hehehehehehehehehehe
Big Grin

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. Now what is your favorite gin?

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Not a huge tonic drinker, I'm a martini man myself, but occassionally will drnk one and this sounds good, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
Now what is your favorite gin?

My personal ones: Hendricks and Martin Miller for the higher end bottles, and Bombay Sapphire for "everyday" gin.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16677 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks - that looks worth the try. If I can find it anywhere in this state....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12404 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My go to is Beefeaters. For years it had been Tanqueray.

Friends like Ford's, Death's Door, Emperess, and other boutique gins for a change of pace martini

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Found the fever tree elderflower tonic! Very tasty by itself..I’m going to try a touch with my whiskey tonight.. we shall see if that’s a mistake. A little steep price wise, but a nice treat. Thanks.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5306 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Found the fever tree elderflower tonic! Very tasty by itself. A little steep price wise, but a nice treat. Thanks.

Glad you located some and found it to your liking! Big Grin

Yeah depending on where you buy these tonics they can run from under 12 to over 20 cents per ounce. Not many tonic waters are without HFCS and those that are, like these, command premium prices. Fevertree and Q Mixers have superior taste.
I won't buy tonics with Aspartame, Sucralose, Saccharin, or other such sweeteners.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

And say my glory was
I had such friends.
Picture of Hunthelp
posted Hide Post
My wife is a G&T drinker and has been on the Q wagon for several years. She’s moved to their light version of Q. I have tried it, but stick to my olives and vermouth. My only complaint is that she has upgraded her choice of gin and tells me sh’s worth the cost increase.
I recon she is.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hunthelp:
She’s moved to their light version of Q.

It uses erythritol as a sweetener. Frown

USN (RET), COTEP #192