SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon DocuSeries - The Killdozer
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon DocuSeries - The Killdozer Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
The Killdozer's rampage through Granby Colorado.

Marvin Heemeyer was a man who owned a muffler shop in Granby Colorado. The city council ordained to approve the construction of a concrete factory in the lot across from Marvin's shop. In the process this blocked the only access road to the muffler shop. Marvin petitioned to stop the construction to no avail. Petitioned to construct a new access road, and even bought the heavy machinery to do so himself.

Denied.

The concrete factory went up in disregard to the ramifications on Marvin's business. To add insult to injury, the factory construction disconnected the muffler shop from the city sewage lines. An indifferent city government then chose to fine Marvin for this.

His business and livelihood were in ruin. Rather than lie down and die, Marvin chose to fight back. Over the course of a year and a half Marvin secretly outfitted the bulldozer he bought to save his business with three inch thick steel and concrete armor, camera systems guarded with bulletproof glass.

On June 4th 2004 Marvin Heemeyer lowered the armored shell over top of himself, entombing himself inside the Killdozer to make his last stand.

He burst forth from the walls of his muffler shop and straight into the concrete factory that ruined his business. Over the course of the next several hours Marvin drove his Killdozer through 13 buildings owned by those officials that had wronged him, including the city council building itself.

Swat teams swarmed the dozer, but it proved immune to small arms fire and even explosives. Another piece of heavy machinery was even brought out to fight the Killdozer, but it too fell to the dozers righteous fury.

In the end, Marvin's Killdozer became trapped in one of the buildings it was built to destroy. Marvin chose to take his life, the only life he took that day.

Today we celebrate Killdozer day and Marvin Heemeyer, the last great American folk hero. A man driven to the brink who chose to fight back against an indifferent system.

From notes left behind after his passing:

"I was always willing to be reasonable until I had to be unreasonable. Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."
When injustice becomes the law, resistance becomes duty

See the trailer for a new docu series available on amazon 28th feb and Netflix

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Remember this story well. Pushed until he had no more room to take another step back.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Well, I think I might just have to watch that. Marvin sounds like a decent dude who really got the shaft. Unfortunately, it would appear as though he misinterpreted his Bible when it comes to "God's will".

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Will watch for sure.

Is it a DocuSeries meaning a couple of episodes, or a movie?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
You have to pay to rent or stream it on Amazon Prime - it's on Netflix now if you have a membership.

I remember the incident when it happened, will definitely watch the documentary!
https://www.netflix.com/title/81206411

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Looks like a must watch

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Watched it on netflix last year (a service I no longer have). Glad to see it coming to Amazon Prime.

It is worth watching. The corruption involved is far more flagrant than the brief synopsis above (because you knew it would be in a situation like this). Honestly, I think the series downplays the corruption and persecution this man suffered far too much. Probably something they agreed to in order to get some of the interviews they did.

I view these things a little differently I guess. I key in on the fact that this man asked for help. People, his friends, family, and neighbors knew what was happening...and he was still left to suffer the consequences. Even when he did what he did, too many were quick to call for HIS demise. We don't like it when someone upsets our normalcy, even if they are right. I remember that. I regularly encounter people and government employees (usually state, often city) who make similar choices in collusion with their friends and family business owners to oppress and outright steal from land owners perceived to be less important or powerful. A favorite sentiment in Alaska, and one I picked up in the series..."they're not from here, they don't know how we do things here". Makes my blood boil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I will have to watch that, I recall this when it happened. From memory, his failure was not upgrading the cooling system on that dozer.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
HRK - where are you seeing that this is coming to Amazon Prime? Do you have a link?

I've searched high and low and yes, you can pay to buy or rent it on Amazon, but it's not streaming on Amazon Prime for subscribers that I can find, nor can I find any articles saying that it's coming to Amazon Prime.

It is still streaming on Netflix, though.

Killdozer is a 1974 Sci-fi movie - the documentary about this incident is called 'Tread'.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually: A favorite sentiment in Alaska, and one I picked up in the series..."they're not from here, they don't know how we do things here". Makes my blood boil.

Classic small town mentality or, tribalism depending on who's its being addressed to.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
HRK - where are you seeing that this is coming to Amazon Prime? Do you have a link?

I'm postulating that the source saying it's Prime was incorrect, it appears to be a buy movie on Amazon. My Bad for not fact checking the source.

However it is on Netflix.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Tread (Full Documentary) is on YouTube for free

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackTalonJHP:
Tread (Full Documentary) is on YouTube for free

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:

I'm postulating that the source saying it's Prime was incorrect, it appears to be a buy movie on Amazon. My Bad for not fact checking the source.

However it is on Netflix.

No sweat! Just making sure I hadn't missed an announcement somewhere - even better that it's on Youtube!

- John Adams

posted Hide Post
its a good show

i disagree with any sympathy for the nutjob IF - and that's a big if -- the documentary is true.

iirc according to the show the victims TWICE offered to buy the man's land at his own asking price. and he refused both times including one well above market value.

so he succumbed to the sin of PRIDE.

but I do have to give him credit. he did a damn fine job of wrecking that place.

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's only one killdozer, and that ain't it.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just watched it.

His .50 cal had to be deafening inside that armored cab

One of the things that jumped out at me was how he was his own worst enemy.
  • Business is open erratic hours, but others are preventing him from being a success
  • Isn't involved in a diner conversation, but knows what they're talking about (i.e. plotting against him). That's some stinkin' thinkin' right there.
  • Think your beef with someone's Dad moves to the wife and kids when the Dad dies.
  • Neighbor offers easement if you drop your zoning lawsuit, but can't bother to answer the phone.
  • Nobody bids $450,000 for land, a ratty building, and bulldozer so it's their fault he was still there to bulldoze the town.
  • Guy who ultimately buys the property from him ($400k) had water/sewer the same week, but Marv wouldn't/couldn't get it done in years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^^ Assuming the documentary is telling the whole story.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
    ^^^^ Assuming the documentary is telling the whole story.
    True, but 4 of my 6 bullet points were from listening to his own words on tape.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oh stewardess,
    I speak jive.
    Picture of 46and2
    posted Hide Post
    A terrible situation.

He chose poorly, regrettably.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post