SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I've created the paint color for my '78 corvette! - Progress photos, original post!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I've created the paint color for my '78 corvette! - Progress photos, original post! Login/Join 
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
^^^ That was the model, and paint color of the only Corvette I have ever driven, when I was 15. Owned by my uncle and aunt, and they let me take it for a supervised spin around the neighborhood.

Their neighbor, saw us, and offered me a ride in his 1966 SC Cobra. Scary fast! Faster than the Vette, for sure.

Can't wait for the after pics SC!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I think I'm just gonna make it all one color.
It's factory 2 tone but came either way.
All of the cars with silver got one paint code. Even the black and silver car.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
And oh yeah, there'll be photos of the progress!
Great! I was going to say, “That’s beautiful and we are definitely going to need to see pictures of at least the finished product.” Seeing in progress pix will be even better!

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
That's Awesome SC! Can't wait for photos.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8855 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great color, I LOVE silver!

In addition to my 67 GTO I restored, I have a 69 GTO that isn't road ready yet. It was originally limelight green, with a dark green interior and a dark green vinyl hardtop. It's an ugly color. It's primed now, but I am changing it to a different factory color for a 69 GTO, "Palladium Silver", with a black interior and a black vinyl top. Hopefully I can get back to working on it as my kids are now a little older.

Can't wait to see it painted!

What color interior? I remember you posted pictures when you bought it, but can't remember the color.

Posts: 5763 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I have a 69 GTO that isn't road ready yet. It was originally limelight green, with a dark green interior and a dark green vinyl hardtop. It's an ugly color.

Sacre' Bleu!

No No no! Harvest Gold and Green are staples of the late 60's to 70's! That is just a gorgeous Green combo! Big Grin

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
DAMN that Pontiac is gorgeous!

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Are you going to do the paint SC? Got a booth and all that, or are you just formulating the paint to bring to a shop?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12782 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna shoot it myself. I'll mix and prepare the paint myself.
I have a biggest inflatable booth Vevor makes.

I'll start surface prep this weekend.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Would you mind posting pictures of the process?

Are you using a lacquer thinner paint or a waterborne paint?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

Would you mind posting pictures of the process?

Are you using a lacquer thinner paint or a waterborne paint?

Of course I'll document the progress!

I'm using a 2 part epoxy sealer over the original old paint.
The new paint is a 2 part acrylic urethane with a 2 part intercoat clear to carry the sparkles.
And an activated high solids clear over everything. About 6 coats of clear total with sanding in between each coat.
Finished off with 1000 grit cut then buffed out. About a $7000-8000 job if you hired it out.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of course I'll document the progress!

Posts: 23466 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did I miss how much the materials are?

And the booth and equipment too !!!

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it'll look great, looks similar to the medium spiral gray metallic on my '04 c5!!

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:

My Galaxy Silver is around $100/gallon. It's reducer is $35/gallon.
the primer is $80/gallon

The intercoat clear is $1.55 an ounce, I'll use 32 ounces.(making 64 with reducer)

The last clear is $90 with it's activator/gallon.

Sparkles, $22.

About $350 or so in materials.

A less complex job I can do with $200 in materials. And I keep the leftovers.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
it'll look great, looks similar to the medium spiral gray metallic on my '04 c5!!

I was going to mix coarse flake in with the silver to get something like that but then I found the SPARKLES!

The Honda CRV is next! Back metallic green but with GREEN SPARKLES!!

posted Hide Post
Is there a perfect color that looks equally great in noon day sunlight
And
Overcast light and street light at midnight ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Is there a perfect color that looks equally great in noon day sunlight
And
Overcast light and street light at midnight ?

Flat black?

Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:

Oh my booth was $985 delivered. It was on sale!

posted Hide Post
That color is gonna look really nice on it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Mine was painted a similar color and I really liked it.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post