SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many motorcycle guys can relate to this?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many motorcycle guys can relate to this? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

Had to run to WalMart for a couple of things. Decided to take the bike. Took the direct route via US-1 on the way up, around 20 miles.

SUCH a nice day, I got a little lost coming home...about 50 miles...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15487 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
You took the best route. I don't see the issue.....
In fact, if there wasn't a motel or at least an all night diner involved, I'd say you took the FASTEST route as well...

Posts: 6345 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I can relate Big Grin

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Recently fired up my ride for a 20 minute-only excursion (as it has been sitting due to winter etc). Next thing I know it has been an hour and 15 minutes......

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can relate. One year my brother and myself rode our bikes to Clearwater, Fla. On the way home we had to split up at the south eastern corner of Ohio where I-77 crosses into WV. My brother was heading back to the Akron area and I was heading to Mansfield. Since it was an absolutely gorgeous April Sunday I decided to take as direct route to Mansfield as possible, all using either County or State routes without a map or compass. While it took a while and I did have to reverse course at one point due to a dispute with a Hereford Bull who felt he owned that particular patch of the road I did make it home after 4 hours or a bit more. Sometimes the best rides are the ones where you go out and try and get lost.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
That's not just a motorcycle thing. I do that all the time in my car.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I can relate but have to think back to my days living in Central Texas. Heading eastward (into the pines) was the most often extended trip.

Posts: 7388 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 5341 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Today was the first day we've had the ragtop Mustang out. I'm just back from putting it in the back garage. Missed a turn and went 10 miles down River Road before I could turn around. Top won't go back up until about November.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

...about 50 miles...

As a former member of GWRRA, I'd say you have a few miles to go. Nice start, though! Wink

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9365 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Missed a turn and went 10 miles down River Road before I could turn around. Top won't go back up until about November.

I have literally made snap decisions to continue on after missing an exit for a restaurant, choosing instead to go to the next one which can be dozens of miles away.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18090 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, that was the norm for me. If you're going to gear up for a 5 mile trip, why not make it a 100 mile trip. Happened a lot in the spring after being cooped up all winter.

As I mentioned in BigSwedes thread, I'm hanging up my helmet and I'll miss those spontaneous rides.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Yup, went to the ice cream stand the other day (11 miles).

Funny the trip meter said 60. :-)

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4600 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Years back I woke up at 4am and just couldn't sleep anymore. I knew I had to be at work by 10am but it was a beautiful summer morning so I took my bike down the street to the 7-11 for a cup of coffee. Ended up taking back roads to a 7-11 60 miles away. I got back just in time for work. I still remember that ride like it was yesterday and smile any time I pass that 7-11 (you can see it from the highway).

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, looks like fun.

I don't ride a motorcycle anymore but I've done that.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
That's not just a motorcycle thing. I do that all the time in my car.
I have done both, too.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I've done it. Another thing that happens is I'll be coming home from a ride and it's just been one of those good days. Ride right past the home street and keep on going for another hour or so.

Posts: 1966 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife came to understand a trip to the Quick Shop would find me on the Blueridge Prwky and home an hour or 2 later. I'd call her on the cell so she'd not fret too much.

[FdLASH_VIDEO]

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/hRavC8CjRL0 [/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 5775 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got off my S 1000 XR. 180 mile loop that started as a lunch ride.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16375 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Needed gas in the Tri-Glide last week as I left work. 4 mile ride to the house. So I went to Versailles and bought gas. Then I went to an 18th century church of Pigsah Pike cause it was sunny and the church is really pretty. Then I went back to the freeway and drove to Waddy-Petonia cause they have great freakin' coffee at the Love's truck stop. Then I went home so I would get home before dark. Wife asked how was my day, had to tell her it was a long day. She offered bourbon. She's a good wife. Didn't even ask about the bugs on my jacket.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post