SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dolby Atmos + headphones, what can you tell me?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dolby Atmos + headphones, what can you tell me? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My Xbox keeps whispering to me that Dolby Atmos on headphones is the dog’s bollocks. No way i can for nd out this far south without buying a $400 Astro A50 or taking my chances purchasing an online license and hope for the best.

Any experienced users in the house?

I would use it for a little gaming and movies.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12137 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Can't comment on any personal experience but my son has a Playstation 5 and enjoys the THX 7.1 surround sound his special headphones give him with the PS5. So I would assume the XBox folks have a similar capability.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Do not remember anything regarding THX on my consoles.
Both Xbox generations i use have DTS and Atmos but for Foñby Atmos for headphones you must buy a license. Free to use on regular HT speakers systems.

0-0

Posts: 12137 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
PS5 now has Dolby Atmos. You’d want to stick to their proprietary headphones for this functionality, as far as I know. Recommend the H9’s.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I may have been mistaken about what surround sound my son's relatively new PS5 has. Could very well be Atmos. Smile

EDITED TO ADD:
Yup Atmos. Big Grin
My son says the headphones he uses with his PS5 for Atmos are the Astro A40 TR with mixing amp. His is 5 years old and humming along. He did need to buy an adapter for it to work with the PS5 when he upgraded from a PS4 but no biggie. Says when playing games he can hear people walking up behind him. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Also said the A50 is wireless with shitty battery life. Stay wired with the A40 model for your XBox.
FWIW Astro cans are the only brand approved for major league gaming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob.

The A50 reviews i found were mostly negative. Not a quality product.

Still, my question remains if the Dolby Atmos one time fee licence is worth buying?

0-0

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Still, my question remains if the Dolby Atmos one time fee license is worth buying?

My son really enjoys the immersiveness he gets from the surround sound when gaming (which is his way of unwinding from stressful work).
Only you can answer whether having surround sound via headphones is worth the unspecified cost they demand of you down there.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my son again. He said if you get the A50 with mixer, it'll give you Dolby surround on the Xbox. If that really floats your boat, then consider the extra cost for Atmos.

He said he hopes this helps.

USN (RET), COTEP #192