SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A couple of questions about apple cider
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A couple of questions about apple cider Login/Join 
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted
First, does anybody have a good hot apple cider recipe?

Secondly, is there a particular type of booze that it mixes will well?

thank you.

Matt

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Get ya some hard cider and have the best of both worlds. Smile

Wicked Grove sold at Aldi, and Angry Orchard, which is pretty much sold everywhere, are both quite tasty.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vodka would not affect the taste. Rum might be interesting. Irish Whisky might work, because it works in everything.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Cinnamon is always good with cider.Jim Beam makes a great one . Crown royal also makes an apple whiskey that mixes well with cider.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9075 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
First, to make a distinction, in the U.S., apple cider is the juice of pressed apples and is unfiltered, unlike apple juice which is filtered and stored warm w/ preservatives on the store shelf.
Heated cider can be "mulled" w/ spices like clove, cinnamon, etc.
I would say, whatever floats your boat. You could go w/ something neutral let the cider and spice shine but right now, I'm thinking a good dash of Fireball might do it w/ fresh cold cider or the heated mulled cider.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Irish Whisky might work, because it works in everything.

Yep. Hot apple cider with Irish Whisky is a good combo. (I'm currently working on a bottle of Writer's Tears.)

No spices needed, but cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves are the traditional cider mulling spices, if you're so inclined.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Irish Whisky might work, because it works in everything.

I like the way you think.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5295 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My preference. Good enough for George Washington, good enough for me.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put captain Morgan's in mine with a splash of butter shots (DeKuyper brand liqueur).

My wife likes her's a little sweeter and goes straight butter shots.

Butter shots tastes like caramel so it tastes like a caramel apple.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have access to any good old moonshine? Wink

1ga of cider
1ga of Apple juice
6 cinnamon sticks

Toss in a pot, bring to a low boil for about 40 - 60 min, let simmer for about another 20 minutes. Let chill. (You're reducing the apple cider/juice mixture by give or take 1/3rd)

You can drink this warm, and it's phenomenal.

Add whipped cream flavored vodka if you don't have moonshine. Wink
Enjoy!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8368 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fireball goes nice with warm apple cider.

Posts: 5426 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Brandy, Apple Brandy, or Calvados with a little bit of butter and cinnamon.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mulling spices are good, simmered for 15 - 30 minutes. We find those in the grocery store especially in the fall. Add some apple brandy after heating.

A friend made hot buttered rum drinks and substituted hot cider for the hot water in the recipe. That was good on a cold night!

If all else fails, heat cider and add some spiced rum.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post