SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    An incident on a waking trail yesterday
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An incident on a waking trail yesterday Login/Join 
posted
I was walking along a well traveled walking trail late yesterday afternoon. It was still daylight.

This is in an upscale suburb.

There were a group of young teenager playing on the path and off to the side.

Two teenagers come running up to the group and draw two small pistols. They yell keep your hands where I can see them.

I am walking towards the group.
I stop and change my angle, to keep out of the line of fire, when I do I can see an orange ring around the barrels.

No one seems very alarmed so I keep walking passed the group.

I had my P365 in my pocket.

As I was walking by I was thinking of saying something to the teenagers but thought better of it.

The police station is close by but I decided to leave well enough alone.

I am just interested in how other people might have reacted.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
As you describe, my first (maybe not best) reaction would be to also draw, and firmly state “drop your weapon, NOW!”.

Hard to say without being in that situation.

The Orange ring means nothing to me. Could be painted on, could be whatever.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Not having been there, not having experienced it first hand, I cannot say. I would like to think I'd have started back-pedaling, looking for cover, and preparing to draw my own pistol.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@beencocker that did go through my head.

I thought I am not a LEO, I did not feel in danger and nothing bad seemed happening.

Not sure if someone panicked or shooting started, what I would have done.

If it looked like it was hitting the fan, I would have taken out my pistol from my pocket.
Called the police.

Then what's next I am not sure.

Gun fight with two teenagers with houses and people on both sides?

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't know how I'd react. We used to have BB gun fights when I was a teenager and cap gun fights when I was younger.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20844 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Waaay back (1963) I played drums in the HS marching band and we did a Spike Jones piece at halftime. I used a .38 to shoot the Majorettes with blanks; part of the show. After the show, my buddy & I thought it would be cute if I shot HIM near the concession stand. We did and NOBODY gave more than a glance at the two idiots making noise. Different Times.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Kids are one thing, teenagers entirely different.

Perhaps someday those kids will pull that on the wrong person and it will go terribly wrong for them.

I'd hate to be the person who had to tell the parents their kid was in the hospital or the morgue.

For that reason, I'd make them identify themselves and notify or take me to the parents, or possibly the cops, so this behavior can be talked about and nipped in the bud before this terribly risky behavior turns into future consequences too dire to bear.

Posts: 11864 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I would turn and burn. I'm not a Leo and if I don't have a dog in the fight then I would do my best to avoid getting involved.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
In the words of the great philosopher Snagglepuss, "Exit stage left."

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5488 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
The reaction of the group being drawn on would tell you pretty damn quickly what was happening. Change angle and assess, then react accordingly as you did. If the teenagers being drawn on showed no sign of being threatened then it’s likely just more kids joining their peer group and horsing around in the process. I doubt if they were pulling this on strangers it would have gone as smooth as you describe.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
In the words of the great philosopher Snagglepuss, "Exit stage left."

Or this...

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extremely bad situation.

Even if the little bastards started mowing down the walkers, the community in general would most likely lynch a dude for plugging a couple young kids.

Not in a million years would I want to be there. I think you did good.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would have gone a distance away and called the police. These kids are a danger to themselves, and somebody, not you, needs to get that across to them ASAP for their own good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Seems like every year, there's news stories of some young Pookie who tries that with a cop and wins the ultimate prize. If memory serves, I think our own Chongosuerte almost ventilated some little shit who did that to him on duty. I wasn't there, but if that had been me, I might been really tempted to tell them "That's fantastic way to get shot by someone who isn't carrying an airsoft gun."

Who knows? Maybe they got a wallet or purse or two already that way? I would've called it in. Fun is one thing. Stupid that could end up with someone getting killed is another thing.

Posts: 17215 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, given how things are now, just beating feet in the opposite direction is your best option.
Call the cops? They show up, plink (or thump) the "children" and who instigated this horrific incident? You.
Confront / approach the kiddies? They turn on you, you shoot and you are now the bad guy. And you will damn sure be a very bad guy if the kids are differently colored than you. And if you were being assaulted by the group, would someone else come to your aid? Maybe. But mostly they would video it in hopes it goes viral. The only duty you have here is to keep yourself as safe as you can.
Is this the way it should be? Nope. But such are the times.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Toy guns evidenced by the orange thingy. Sounded like kids having fun with one another. Call the cops? Make them identify themselves and go talk to their parents? Nope, none of that, please. As said above, real shit could have hit the fan.

Q

Posts: 26492 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
8 year olds fine

Teenagers - not so fine.

I would have called 911 and had them busted. Playing amongst themselves is one thing but on a public trail and holding up strangers is a sign of bad things to come for these kids.

Posts: 53234 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Exit speedily. Not my circus, not my monkeys, I'm out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post