SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home networking question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home networking question Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
We moved into a new home about a month ago. The previous owner had the house all wired for ethernet and cable, but I don't know much about this stuff. Can someone take a look at what I have, and maybe explain what it is and how I would get a network signal to all of the ethernet ports in my house? I'm a software engineer, so I'm not a complete idiot about this stuff, but it's never really been my thing.

We have wifi, but it's a big house, and the signal isn't that great. If we could get all our ethernet ports wired up, that would solve a lot of problems.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
You may not need to hard wire all your components. Our modem has built in wify and I have no problem picking it up 50 feet away through three walls. You won't know until you try.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Connect from your router or switch ethernet ports to the ports you see on the board. They should be numbered to match the ports in each room.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I am missing a switch and a modem/router in this pic.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12148 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The wiring up top is telephony. (blue and grey wires)

It could be re-terminated using similar 12 port patch panels as are on the bottom if needed.

If the two patch panels (yellow and grey wires) on the bottom are home run from this demarq to each jack in the room's wall plate, then as stated above, get a switch with enough ports to attach patch cable from each port on the switch to each port on the patch panel, then connect a/the lan port on the cable modem (if it is a router type, most are nowadays) to the switch.

If it is just a cable modem with "ethernet handoff", then you can connect your router WAN port to the cable modem, and then the router LAN port to the switch.

That will make all of them available.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd tear out those two patch panels, install CAT(5 or 6) plugs on the wires and plug all of them into a 24 port Netgear switch. Then follow the monkey's instructions on attaching the switch to a router and router to a modem and you'll be good to go.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
That looks like what i call a patch panel.

You need to run a router off your cable or other broadbank modem. You run that into a switch. The switch can have 5 to 32 (or higher number of) ports.

Once you have those, you run a cable from the other ports on the switch to each of those inputs.

That will make all the ports in your walls of each room live to connect things to the internet.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Personally, I'd tear out those two patch panels, install CAT(5 or 6) plugs on the wires and plug all of them into a 24 port Netgear switch. Then follow the monkey's instructions on attaching the switch to a router and router to a modem and you'll be good to go.

This is also good advice IMO.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:

This is also good advice IMO.

If the OP can't ID a patch panel, I'm not sure he'd want to take up the task of crimping ETH plugs. There is no need, no benefit & a whole lot of possible headaches. I've crimped 100s & I'll still take a punch-down or tool-less keystone over crimping a plug.
That setup looks like it was done with care- just grab some short ethernet cables, and a switch with enough ports to plug it what you need. 24 would cover your entire panel, but if you want to save some cash, 8 or 12 would probably be enough.

Posts: 3299 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with comment on leaving the patch panel. A better recommendation could be made if pictures were posted showing router/modem and wiring around it.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bottom two rows are your network cables to rooms - the top section is telephone.

You can simply mount a switch on that panel and connect the rooms you want to have connectivity. That means a bunch of short cable from those bottom two rows to the switch. There are several ways to set it up based on where your router/cable modem is located.

service line –> modem –> router –> switch –> patch panel –> client devices

Peter

Posts: 95 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input. It's beginning to make sense.

So, would this worK:

I split the incoming internet signal (coax) in two:

Downstairs in utility room : cable > cable modem > switch > patch panel > client devices.

Upstairs (where I want to move my wireless router) : 2nd split cable > cable modem > wireless router

If I connect a printer to a wired ethernet port in the office, would devices connected to wifi be able to 'see' that printer?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Not sure you can split you internet coax and use two cable modems.

If I were you I would run my internet to that closet and put your cable modem and router there. Connect the ethernet ports from your patch panel to your switch and connect your switch to the cable modem. Upstairs I would plug an wifi access point into your ethernet port upstairs.

Regarding your printer, yes. If your printer is on the hardwired ethernet your wifi devices will be able to see it.

Posts: 1774 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Thanks everyone for the input. It's beginning to make sense.

So, would this worK:

I split the incoming internet signal (coax) in two:

Downstairs in utility room : cable > cable modem > switch > patch panel > client devices.

Upstairs (where I want to move my wireless router) : 2nd split cable > cable modem > wireless router

If I connect a printer to a wired ethernet port in the office, would devices connected to wifi be able to 'see' that printer?

Yes. You can split and run more than one cable modem, but you will have to pay for the service for each modem.

Better the run a line from one switch, to another switch, that ties the two together and extends the network.

(Is there a patch panel/closet both up and downstairs?)

If the wired and wireless networks are on the same subnet, or bridged networks, you will be able to see the printer.

If you want to, email me and I can give you my number.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
If the issue is poor WiFi - look into the newer mesh network routers like Orbi. They give you excellent speed/thru put and great range. My house is two story all concrete and rebar (SoFla Hurricane Codes). I have wired ethernet but don't really use it because the mesh network I put in works so well.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
^^^ this(Sigmonkey) ^^^

Also if your home is large and this wiring closet is not near the wireless "listening" area you may want to turn off the WiFi at this and add an AP at the end of one of those RJ45 connections in a room more appropriate.
You do not have to turn it off but if you add an AP you would want to configure it with the same protocols of the main one.

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
If you're dead-set on having the wireless router upstairs away from the utility closet, put the cable modem and wireless router upstairs where you want it. Then plug an Ethernet cable between the router and the wall plug that's coming from the patch panel. Then in the utility room plug another Ethernet cable in the patch panel coming from the room where your router is at and plug it into a switch. Then connect the switch to all the other patch panel ports.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
If the OP can't ID a patch panel, I'm not sure he'd want to take up the task of crimping ETH plugs.
You're probably right given the circumstances.
quote:
There is no need, no benefit & a whole lot of possible headaches.
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's 'no' benefit. Doing it as I suggested results in a simpler, cleaner, install, with half the number of ethernet cables (and I hate all those little short cables).
quote:
I've crimped 100s & I'll still take a punch-down or tool-less keystone over crimping a plug.
I too have crimped my share of cables, but I still don't mind doing it. I think I truly am an exception to rule though. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
The bottom row of Ethernet receptacles at the very bottom are already numbered, 1-7, with 7 yellow wires leading to 7 marked Ethernet outlets in the rooms. The row just above that looks like telephone jacks with gray wires leading out to (room) telephone jacks. Just get some hardware stuff (modem, router, 7+ short cables) and screw them to the plywood. But I dunno shit about this stuff.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I said earlier. What does he currently have for WiFi? Where is it located? Is it close to a patch panel? I asked it he could post a picture.

I think it would be best to assess what is in place and then plan the best solution.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post