SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Is there a song that takes you back or brings up a memory, either good or bad?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a song that takes you back or brings up a memory, either good or bad? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
The Tom T Hall thread made me think about music. I love music- mostly country (yes even a few songs from today).

It's a random one but Rodney Atkins "Cleaning this Gun" takes me back to when my wife and I were first married. I was working a hard job for what seemed like good money at the time but really wasn't. I drove an old truck and we lived in a one bedroom apartment. No kids, no mortgage, just the 2 of us who had no idea what we were doing. When that song comes on I feel like I'm back in that little Toyota truck driving to work on a warm summer morning with the windows open. I love my life now but man I didn't realize how great things were when life was a little simpler.

Tom T Hall takes me back to sitting in a barn with my dad and a couple of his friends cutting up some deer we shot. I brought a little speaker for my phone and played some music while we worked and talked. Tom T Hall was definitely in that playlist since we were all old country fans. I can feel the aching in my hands from being so cold but smile when I think about that time with my dad.

"Go Rest High on That Mountain." My uncle died when I was young and this song was played at his funeral. That was the first time I saw my dad cry.

Anyone else have a song that takes you back to an old car or an old girlfriend or event in your life that puts a smile on your face, or maybe something sad that you look back on now as a growing experience?

Posts: 1517 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Probably not what you had in mind, but I cannot get through singing either of my parents' favorite Hymns: "In the Garden" for my dad and "It Is Well With My Soul" for my mom. I am brought to tears during them. I have similar difficulties with "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" but don't know why.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Ghost Riders In The Sky"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43916 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
“Tiny Dancer”. The song I danced to with my daughter at her wedding.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brothers in Arms by Dire Straights.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16116 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Crazy for You by Madonna. I can't stand her nowadays (Madonna, not my wife Big Grin ), but that song takes me right back to prom and dancing with my high school sweetheart who I'm still married to today.

https://youtu.be/DHutZXREZ0E

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If you could read my Mind" - Gordon Lightfoot.
1971, when my marriage was falling apart.

Not a good memory.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
Stairway to Hevan.

My first dance in 7th grade.

It was a slow song so I figured I could do that. I got the nerve up to finally ask a girl to dance. I had no idea that halfway through the song it was going to speed up...I had to let go and fast dance and I was nervous as could be...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3491 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, there's a lot of them. Here's one. 1988

Hit it, beautiful

From time to time, I'll sing the chorus of this to my wife, just because it's so goofy when I do so.

Posts: 107697 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
These Dreams by Heart

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

posted Hide Post
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang?

Uncle Ted is a scion of literature.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para - if you listen you can hear that is Steve Lukathur of Toto on lead guitar there. He played on damn near everything in the 80's.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
One more and then I'll leave it alone for tonight.

I may have mentioned here a very long time ago- and I know people these days find it difficult to believe- but my first job was- while still a minor- as a disc jockey on a 5,000 watt AM radio station playing a rock and roll format. I don't mention this a lot these days, because, while people are polite, they think I'm lying or exaggerating. Well, I'm not lying or exaggerating, and I have the proof, in the form of photographs, and witnessed by some people back then, who are still kicking now. I had a license from the FCC (something which I hear is no longer required for broadcasting OTA these days), the whole nine yards, and I was on the air- in high school- and if you don't think that made me cooler than all get-out to my classmates...

The station used to host dances - called "Boogie Bashes". This is the 1970s, at the height of the Disco craze and we opened more than one dance with this tune:

One day at a time
Picture of RANGER20
posted Hide Post
I"m 62 class of 77.... I believe ya...

I remember that song on the dance floor.. With my shameless... Green disco shirt...
Thanks for the memories you made me laugh para!!! With all the crap going on these days I'm grateful for the moment... Always liked the piano beginning of this song. Thanks again!!!

Posts: 5499 | Registered: August 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Thank you, and in case anyone is curious how a 16 year old kid gets on the air, I started out as a roadie for Dave "The Mouse" Petrik, who is still alive (at least he was when I spoke to him last year) and still broadcasting. Only now, he does it over the internet.

KAOK Radio

Maybe I'll post about this before too long and show you guys some photos. The specifics of how I got the DJ job are a hoot.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Posted without the reasons why for me....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
“Afternoon Delight” takes me back to a trout fishing trip with a couple buddies. It was the first time I heard it and instantly loved it…..and still do.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4237 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post

Girl friend back in '65. Met in handball court in NYC Projects.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

Breakup with my ex-fiance. Together for almost five years at the end of our teens and early 20's. One of those relationships that was all fire all the time, good or bad. Threw her cheating ass out and listened to this song way too much.

It used to be bad memories, now it makes me think of freedom after a long time of being miserable.

Posts: 17193 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post