SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My truck emergency knife- Gerber LMF II
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My truck emergency knife- Gerber LMF II Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Speaking of custom sheaths: Cleveland Kydex.
Lots of sheaths for Becker and other knives.
Also: 7Rattles Bushcraft.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16003 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice setup, Para. I have the cheaper version of that knife (Gerber calls it the "Prodigy"), which lacks the holes for paracord lashing and the large tailcap (although it does have a point for glass-breaking). It's just been taking up space in a tub in my bedroom...I ought to set it up in my truck like you did. Always handy to have a fixed-blade around, and it could absolutely save your life if you ever need to break a window to get out.

Posts: 8411 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
The LMF II is a fine knife. I've used the hell out of mine for ten years and then some.

Posts: 1603 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Nice knife. You can't be over equipped when an emergency occurs.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I bought a used one not too long ago, hoping to find one with the 12C27 blade. It's got a nice used but not abused patina and could be a surplus knife since its in the desert colors. Seems to have a lot more carry wear than usage wear.
Without any markings except for the Gerber logo and Portland, Oregon USA on the other side, I don't know how to ID the blade.
Anyone got any ideas to help me figure this out?

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Without any markings except for the Gerber logo and Portland, Oregon USA on the other side, I don't know how to ID the blade. Anyone got any ideas to help me figure this out?
Not to a certainty, but I can tell you that chances are, your knife is in 420HC.

This thread discusses the subject.

Per Gerber directly, 12C27 was used for the LMF II for only the first two years of production- January, 2006 to December 2007. After that, a brief change to 440A, and the rest of production has been 420HC.

In that thread, you'll find Gerber's detailed response

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
This thread has me feeling inept...

I bought a Glock knife, and sharpened it a good bit (dull as could be). It lives behind the passenger seat so I can reach around and grab it. But compared to the OP's, it's got several shortcomings. Especially that now I think about it not being insulated like that one.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
After watching weird gas mask guy trying to destroy one, I ordered a Becker Tac. Tool.

Here's the video mentioned:
https://youtu.be/rwSlUMei__A

Guy is crazy! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's the same way he broke the ESEE-5, by repeatedly striking the spine of the knife/tool against a radiused surface, which concentrates the force in one spot. The part of the blade ahead of the strike wants to keep moving, and the stretching of the edge- which now constitutes the top of the knife- causes a failure which starts at the edge. Some guys on the knife boards want to condemn the guy for what he does, but I have to say, as much of a mess as they are, his videos provide some useful data.

In this instance, the message is clear- don't do this, or you will manage to break even the toughest of knives.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Without any markings except for the Gerber logo and Portland, Oregon USA on the other side, I don't know how to ID the blade. Anyone got any ideas to help me figure this out?
Not to a certainty, but I can tell you that chances are, your knife is in 420HC.

This thread discusses the subject.

Per Gerber directly, 12C27 was used for the LMF II for only the first two years of production- January, 2006 to December 2007. After that, a brief change to 440A, and the rest of production has been 420HC.

In that thread, you'll find Gerber's detailed response

Thanks. I guess I’ll just have to see how it holds up in use and go from there since that’s what really matters anyway.
Mine had no box or paperwork and appears to be older so I’m still hoping to get lucky and have the 12C27 model.
In any case I really like the basic design, handle and sheath.

Posts: 9454 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're not going to have any problems. 420HC will get the job done.

Y'know, I barely consider the LMF II a knife; it's more of an emergency tool and if it helps me get out of my truck or into someone else's vehicle and gets beat to shit in the process, then it will have done its job and I'll hang it on the wall and buy another.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
I probably had one of those originals back in the day, I impulse bought it the first time I ever saw one. My bro took it and no clue where it ended up. Have had a couple more, and my current one hangs out in my closet.

I had not considered these uses as I'm kind of a dummy. I'm amazed by the mousetrap/ Macgyver situation you have going on. Making me re-examine my life.

I have seat belt cutters, knife, tourniquet, etc in my vehicle. If that sucker rolled over or something I might find myself wishing I would have thought that through.

ETA, I also didn't realize this knife was a submission for an aircrew knife. Putting 2 and 2 together I commandeered my current LMF-II from my brother as payback for him taking my old one. He got this one from a 160th crew guy. I'll be damned. It's a salty bastard.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Freshen up that edge and put 'er to work, Pete!

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Here's my truck knife. It's an Ontario SP-5 I found out hunting in an old grove. The pic is from the day I found it. It's significantly cleaner and sharper now, but still has that essential, um, ...er..., ah, character...

Thing about this knife is, at 1/4 thick, if you can't cut it, you can beat it to death.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, that's quite a wilderness find. That cordura sheath betrays the age of your knife.

What did you do to clean it up? If it were mine, I might be inclined to tape the choil and strip all the paint forward of that, then give the blade a mustard patina.

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I gave the blade an oil bath and the rust disappeared. Then gave the edge 15 minutes of work with a Ken Onion Worksharp. The rubber handle is pretty beat up, and this thing is never going to be pretty.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Nice knife.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31373 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I gave the blade an oil bath and the rust disappeared. Then gave the edge 15 minutes of work with a Ken Onion Worksharp. The rubber handle is pretty beat up, and this thing is never going to be pretty.

You might check around to see if you could make one of the Kabar or other replacement knife handles fit.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Artie's knife has a molded grip.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the share Para. Around here, they can (but it rare) ticket a driver who has a knife within "easy arms reach". Even having a concealed permit for a pistol will not insulate a person from the charge. (rarely occurs though).

Given how many government legal jurisdictions a person will drive through in a year ( I have 6 different ones simply to travel to the range 20 min from my house: my city and 2 other cities, 2 counties and the state laws as well). It's worth paying attention too. (opps, 7 government legal layers if I also count federal laws).

Not telling anyone how to live their life, I keep a blade in the passenger side door myself although I like what you did more, just noting that there are too many laws out there that cover parts of this here or there. Worst yet, even if a person is legal today, if they later pass a new law 3 counties over and one doesn't hear about it, ya might have legal trouble if you get pulled over there.

Something to keep in mind. Best to all.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post