SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    tablets, ipads, streaming amazon prime movies and wifi or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tablets, ipads, streaming amazon prime movies and wifi or not? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
Wading into the unknown and have a question. Are there tablets where you can stream let's say amazon prime movies / shows and not need a wifi connection?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Gotta have a way to “grab” the stream out of the air... WiFi or cellular. You need one or the other (some devices have both).

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6999 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
You can also temporarily connect through one of the sources mentioned above and download many many hours worth of viewing, depending on your storage size. Then watch them without connection whenever you want. Delete and repeat.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Sure there is. You'd need a lightning to Ethernet adaptor for Apple devices or a USB type C to Ethernet adapter for Android devices. I don't know anyone that does this though.

The device needs a connection to the internet to stream. There's three ways to connect to the internet:

1. With a wire to a network that's connect to the internet.
2. With WiFi to a network that's connected to the internet.
3. With Cellular to a network that'a connected to the internet.

Posts: 10972 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I do it ALL of the time on my Ipad 12.9 pro. You can on any Ipad. Both Prime and Netflix allow you to download content on your ipad (with wifi or cell connection and of course a membership to prime or netflix), and you can then watch it at a later date and don't need wifi or cellular internet.....the stuff only lasts for a month maybe and then you need wifi to renew the download. I watch movies/shows while in the Bahamas or flying with no internet. On my ipad I can download 30-40 hours of shows/movies.....but have the smaller storage size ipad pro 12.9, more memory would allow me to download more. Can also stream it live with wifi.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Sure there is. You'd need a lightning to Ethernet adaptor for Apple devices or a USB type C to Ethernet adapter for Android devices. I don't know anyone that does this though.

The device needs a connection to the internet to stream. There's three ways to connect to the internet:

1. With a wire to a network that's connect to the internet.
2. With WiFi to a network that's connected to the internet.
3. With Cellular to a network that'a connected to the internet.

This ^^^^^, with one correction: Apple is starting to transition to USB C on their mobile devices. My wife's new iPad Pro has a USB C connector, rather than Lightning.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Given the jist of your question, my bet is you don't need the latest and greatest hardware and would be better off grabbing an Amazon Fire tablet on Black Friday. Log it onto your WiFi network and you should be able to download movies to watch offline as others have already mentioned.
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
This ^^^^^, with one correction: Apple is starting to transition to USB C on their mobile devices.
But not the iPhone 12 which is absurd. Macs and iPads, yep, iPhones nope.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post