SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Almost Got the Beat Down, Down by the River
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Almost Got the Beat Down, Down by the River Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My favorite part was where the homeless dude apparently had posted his height, weight, and bench press max on Facebook.

Oh, and when, after finally getting away and finding that his phone was dead (again), the protagonist drove a block back to the crazy belligerent guy just to tell him that he was going to call the cops on him and he should leave. Solid tactics.

I give the story a 3/10. The writer showed some potential, doing an okay job of setting the scene and displaying decent prose at times, but the action scene was disjointed and less than believable, the main character's inner monologue seemed forced, the ending dragged, and it was lacking anything to keep the female readers engaged.

The next draft might benefit from a darker and stormier setting, tighter action choreography, a punchier climax, and the addition of a female sidekick or love interest.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Damn Gecko. I didn't know you got that old. Did you blade at a 45° angle?

No, no, no...

When you have rifle plates duct-taped to your chest and back, you don't want to blade away. You want to square up to the threat, in order to present the full face of the armor towards them.

(Clearly you weren't born to live by the gun mudderfuggin ersatz kubaton.)

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
OP should have put this story on the Lair. Or submitted it to Dear Abby.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogB:
OP should have put this story on the Lair. Or submitted it to Dear Abby.

With a few tweaks, Penthouse Forum.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Something oddly familiar here…

Yep.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm impressed with the members here with great spidey senses.

Reading the OP on my own, I would have just let it be being close to indifferent.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19690 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
It's always safer to communicate with miscreants via signal mirror. That way if you're bum-rushed you can blind them with it and signal for help from a Delta Force unit...

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Catnip?

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"I pulled it out discretely and got a death grip on it..."

"Despite my efforts at stealth, the bum noticed right away ..."

"My hand's on my knife, clipped to my pocket,..."

Uhh?

BENCHMADE 940 OSBORNE:

"Highly regarded as one of the most quintessential EDCs of all time, the 940 Osborne is slim, stylish, and can perform in just about any situation imaginable. The 940 features a satin plain reverse tanto blade with a green anodized aluminum handle. The manual opening blade contains strong CPM-S30V blade steel. Made in USA."

Slices and dices 6'6" 325 pound vagrants with a single swing!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
And smoking is bad for your health

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107657 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Balls of furry …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking charging rhino-man could have easily been blinded with a signal mirror if you had time to work out the angles.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15607 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Something oddly familiar here…
Or at least oddly something...

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Who is going to play the OP in the straight to VHS movie of this story? Maybe Christian Bale is available. I heard he really gets into roles and transforms into character.

Posts: 13132 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Christian Bale is too big… See me at least a Mark Wahlberg type or smaller. But HUGE balls. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stories like this is why I don't go to the Farmer's Market without my own Bayraktar drone circling overhead.

https://youtu.be/CXVu_DeB4wo

Ok. I made that up but it's as likely true as the OP's story.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm always carrying so my version of that story might not have ended well. I'm about the OPs age and not as physically capable as I was 40 years ago.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Here's what the cops heard when they got there and talked to the other guy...

"I don't yell at people, I mind my own business and I work out. I'm 6'6 325 and bench 300. One of the joys in my drab life is stopping at the Farmer's Market, after working out and brushing my teeth and admire the interesting plants growing on the nearby raised train tracks. I sometimes do jumping jacks after working out, you know, to cool down from the workout.

Then some guy about 63 stops his 2006 truck right near me and lights up and blows SMOKE right at my face. I yell "CUT IT OUT." No, officer, sir, (laughing) I didn't say I'd cut him, I don't even have a knife. I said "Cut it out" referring to the smoke. Then I saw him flick his cigarette which is littering, is it not...... and then he left"

"If I see him again, I might ask why he called the cops, honestly I have no idea, since I did nothing wrong other then telling him to cut it out with the smoke....."

and so it goes... life in the city...

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ BRILLIANT!

You win the Internet for the day!

~Robert A. Heinlein

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’m thinking charging rhino-man could have easily been blinded with a signal mirror if you had time to work out the angles.

At a minimum the F-16s would have smoked him.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1959 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post