SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Repair cost is out of control $5,600 bill on 2018 F150 for some tail lamps.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Repair cost is out of control $5,600 bill on 2018 F150 for some tail lamps. Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Repair cost is out of control $5,600 bill on 2018 F150 for some tail lamps.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't believe that

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Uhhhhhhhh...24 Carat??? Eek

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
While this $5,600 stated total wasn't just for the tail light assembly parts, also involving several burnt out radar modules and shorted wiring harnesses plus diagnostic and install labor at shop rates, the really surprising part here was the fact that just the tail light assemblies alone (without any of the radar modules, wiring, or labor) are $1200-$1400 apiece!

$2400+ for the pair of tail light assemblies. That's wild. Eek

I've replaced tail light assemblies on two different trucks within the past decade or so, an early 2010s Toyota Tundra and an early 2010s Dodge Ram. Either truck involved something like $50 for each light assembly. ~$100 total, per truck.

I'd expect tail light assemblies that included the provisions for mounting radar sensors would be a bit more expensive, but not 24x as expensive at $2400!

Posts: 32536 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
The housings are just over $1k each Eek
$1,428 msrp, each
https://parts.autonationfordwh...dCZlPTMtNWwtdjYtZ2Fz

LED housings, not sure if that includes the BLIS [blind spot] modules

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15359 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
For comparison, replacement tail light assemblies for my current 2022 model year SUV are ~$140 each. So it's not something that's true for all new cars. Ford is jacking up the price here.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
not sure if that includes the BLIS [blind spot] modules

The guy in the video claims it does not, and states that those are an additional ~$1k more, with the modules running $450 each and their mounting plates/heatsinks running $50 each.

Something like $500 for a radar module and $140 for the tail light would seem about right...

But $500 for a radar module and $1200 for the tail light is downright ridiculous. The tail light assembly is just some plastic and LEDs.

Posts: 32536 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1 headlight assy on my 2015 sierra was $900 wholesale cost in 2017. dumbass deer hit me while I was slowing down on the highway. Fucker didn't even lay there long enough for me to shoot him.

OEMs have been squeezing suppliers for years on service parts, now the supply has dried up and you get stupidity like this.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Circa 2017 I had a 2004 Mercury Montego (like a Ford Five Hundred, which is in turn basically a Taurus) that had a tail light fill with water, short out and blow the brake light fuse. This wouldn't have been so bad, but that fuse also powered a "bus" (i.e., a communication line) to the engine computer, which disabled the starter circuit and left the owner walking. Not only was the light one giant LED, but because that car was only made for two years and few were sold, it was hard to get, and some $400 when we did. I reiterate, this was a 2004 model. With all the "nanny" shit built into cars these days that makes them even more stupidly complicated, I can believe the OP.

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Astounding, just for the housing. Found a dealer selling the passenger lens housing "on sale" for a under a grand.

https://www.fairwayfordparts.n...passenger-kl3z13404b

Worse part? It'll probably have the SAME slow leak and in another five years will need all of the affected parts replaced again.

-MG

Posts: 2002 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:

Repair cost is out of control $5,600 bill on 2018 F150 for some tail lamps.
I bought a new 1963 356B Porsche for $3,450.

Few years later, my wife and I returned to the continental U.S. after working in Puerto Rico for a few years. We bought two new cars, a 1968 Mustang and a 1968 BMW 1600. Combined cost for these two new cars was less than the $5,600 for the F150 tail lamps.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30706 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I can believe it.

Father-in-law’s Acura SUV got tapped in a parking lot, rear bumper cover need a replacement for around $700 to $800, body shop told him he’s very lucky that none of the sensors got destroyed in a harder hit. Otherwise it would be around a $3000 job.

Posts: 33837 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I can believe it.

Father-in-law’s Acura SUV got tapped in a parking lot, rear bumper cover need a replacement for around $700 to $800, body shop told him he’s very lucky that none of the sensors got destroyed in a harder hit. Otherwise it would be around a $3000 job.

I’m dealing with the exact same situation. It happened 2 years ago at my dermatologist. Just went it for a multi year check (they want me in there every year but I have no skin issues) and some Hispanic dudes in an old shitbox F150 tapped the rear of my Ridgeline. Broke the bumper cover and did some minor paint damage. I’ve been after my shop that I use here for 2 years to get it booked in. He’s been down employees since Covid and since it’s an out of pocket job that is $1500 total, well he’s more interested in doing the big bank insurance jobs. My truck is a 2019. It has no ADAS whatsoever, no parking sensors, none of that bullshit. I was pissed off, royally, when this happened as I always park remote/secure, and it’s the last thing you want to happen to a vehicle with 5k miles on it at the time. It was still “new” to me in 2021. But I quickly got over it and told myself “Well if it had the sensors, etc, probably 3k” at which point I would have just filed an insurance claim. Anything under 2k is not worth a claim. The bastards will just raise your rates and you’ll more in the long run.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ford is jacking up the price here.
Ford is jacked up. Mad

Posts: 9057 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Last time I knew (2017) LED headlight assemblies for the Cadillac CTS ran around a thousand dollars per side.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
OEM headlights for my 12 year old Lexus RX350 retail for over $1800 each.

Granted, these are some fancy HID, auto-leveling, turn with the steering wheel units, but still... Eek

and believe me when I say, it doesn't take much of a bump to the front bumper to crack the lens, break a couple of mounting tabs, and render them 'useless' as far as the repair shop is concerned.

You'd think that an empty housing could be had, so all those fancy components that still work just fine could be transferred. If they're out there, I couldn't find them. Frown

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3142 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just went through that with a 2008 Lexus. My mechanic commented Lexus is forcing them to purchase entire assemblies to replace parts on them, greatly increasing costs.

Those headlights with the plastic lenses now turn yellow, get scratched, and created an entire industry to keep them clear. With all that, we can't just buy a simple replacement lense.

Posts: 2369 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ha!

Fuck that

Posts: 107664 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Welp, he was told to get the 2017.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2844 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
While this $5,600 stated total wasn't just for the tail light assembly parts, also involving several burnt out radar modules and shorted wiring harnesses plus diagnostic and install labor at shop rates, the really surprising part here was the fact that just the tail light assemblies alone (without any of the radar modules, wiring, or labor) are $1200-$1400 apiece!

$2400+ for the pair of tail light assemblies. That's wild. Eek

I've replaced tail light assemblies on two different trucks within the past decade or so, an early 2010s Toyota Tundra and an early 2010s Dodge Ram. Either truck involved something like $50 for each light assembly. ~$100 total, per truck.

I'd expect tail light assemblies that included the provisions for mounting radar sensors would be a bit more expensive, but not 24x as expensive at $2400!

For comparison.....I drive a 2020 F150 S-CREW, XLT trim. 3.5 ecoboost, middle trim package (301a). So it has SOME of the lickies & chewies, but not all of them. Mirrors have heat & turn signal indicators, parking sensors, rear view camera in the tailgate, etc. Recently replaced my rear passenger side taillight assembly after an unfortunate....ahem.....backing incident involving a brush hog mower. Anyway, point is, I went to my local Ford dealer & bought the assembly for $141. It took about 15 minutes total to remove the broken one and reinstall the new one. Took longer to unbox the new assembly than it did to install it. I don't understand WTAF costs $1200-1400 in the Limited trim assembly, or how that's even possible. LED lamps are cheaper than incandescent these days. I mean, dude basically had a cascading system failure because of TAILLIGHTS? Crazy.

Posts: 1734 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
dude basically had a cascading system failure because of TAILLIGHTS? Crazy.

That is something else. A little blinker fluid and BAM! The f150 goes down for the count.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post