SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you dance?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you dance? Login/Join 
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Nope. I'm not gifted in the ability to recognize the beat.

My ex loved to ball room dance. She was very good at it and looked really good. This was 30 years ago and the women would dress up in beautiful clothing and the man would wear black, because his role is to allow the woman to be the attraction. My ex had a big pile of money and a great monthly income, was young and didn't have to work. I worked so she spent her time taking ball room dance lessons, in excess of $50,000 worth. Good thing she had the money as I did not.

I just can't dance. She would keep her head near mine and count the beat ONE 2 3, ONE 2 3, or slow slow quick quick (Waltz vs foxtrot IIRC). I was terrible and stepped on many toes but only with her help I could fake it somewhat. When she would dance with a professional it was quite a sight.

Fortunately the places we went to dance had an open bar, so at least I had that.

30 years ago there were a lot of ballroom dance clubs around and they were very active, several dances every weekend, and people would go to compete in regionals etc. Now I think there's only 1 or 2 left around here, as far as I know, and not too many local pro's giving lessons.

BTW do you know what the difference is between a tight pair of jeans and cheap motel? No ballroom!

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to learn basic dancing in school gym class - square, waltz, polka (hey it was Chicago). I didn't go to any school dances, and didn't like the music they played.

In college you dance a bit while drinking, and slow dances are always nice, but only if I really had to.

My college girlfriend and now ex-wife was a very very good dancer who had taken classes and done performances all her life, and literally could do every dance in Wilson Picket's Land of 1000 Dances on cue on time. We could do some partner dances but she was too good, doing it perfectly, and not really following a lead, not that I could lead well, but still. And she was half Latina so she could do all that stuff too.

I have a good enough ear for pitch and rhythm from playing guitar that I know when I sing off pitch and dance off beat. For many, ignorance is bliss and they honestly don't know they have bad pitch or rhythm. When you know you suck, you can't fool yourself.

So I choose not to dance, except on a rare occasion, in a partner setting, usually with drinks. I absolutely despise people that don't respect my choice and try to coerce me into dancing or drag me out to the dance floor. I don't stick a guitar in their hands, turn the amp up to feedback level and see if they can keep the thing under control and not blow their ear drums out while eeking out a note that doesn't sound like "thwupp". That's what I do and it takes skill.

Actually that's one of the things I like about some parts of Asia - lots of clubs are not really for dancing - they are clubs playing dance music but the floor is filled with tables and people just kind of stand there and move around a bit. But not the big open dance floors we have here - but if they do have that, say in South Korea, people mostly stand around and drink. Dancing the way people do here is not common, and not expected or coerced. Now, singing at Karaoke is another story. Nothing like a tone deaf Chinese girl trying to sing Lady Antebellum's "Need You Now" and wanting you to do the other half.

My dad liked to dance a lot. He was pretty good. My stepmom did competitive ballroom dancing in Chicago. Little 70-ish Filipina that could easily be mistaken for 20+ years younger, with partners decades younger. But culturally, she can't date a younger man, and men her age (79 I think) she complains want a nurse maid and not a girlfriend to dance with. Good for her, it's her life.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Now no but hell no. Back in the day it might happen only if the joints were properly lubricated with alcohol. ................................... drill sgt.

I would pay to watch that

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I cannot dance, yet I still remember how to do the Hustle.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Sure. Ladies love it. It's been enormously handy in life.

Thirty years ago, when Dad was still alive, I asked him for fatherly advice. His response was, "Learn to dance." I was like, THAT'S your answer—learn to dance? He said, "It gets you active, it gets you out into the world, and it's a great way to meet women. I always wanted to know how to dance when I was younger."

To this day, I still haven't followed Dad's advice, but I haven't given up. Maybe if I could find a partner to take a dance class with. A few years later after he gave me that advice, my cousin got married, and she made all the relatives, including Dad and Mom, take ballroom dancing lessons for her wedding. I had to work and couldn't partake, but Dad said he actually had a lot of fun finally learning dancing.

Posts: 5587 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I never really understood the purpose of dancing. You may count that in the NO column.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Dance? Next to me Gene Kelly looks like Stephen Hawking.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
Ladies love it. It's been enormously handy in life. One of the better comments -

Wife and I took Swing lessons - Over and Over - I can still One and Two, Rock Back.

I even had a strange chick ask me to dance while with my wife - She was so proud of me (I think)

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Mrs.BurtonRW and I took some ballroom lessons before our wedding so we wouldn't have to do the "prom sway" for our first dance. No cheesy choreographed routine - just learning the basic steps so we could actually dance to our music.

We were both competent, but I picked it up a little quicker likely due to many years of music study (performance & theory) as well as just having a brain tuned for math.

So yeah... sort of. I can dance.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Couldn't dance a lick. Decided to take up line dancing with the Mrs - had great fun. did it for four years. All the classes were at night, we work full time and got tired of eating dinner at 9:30pm. Definitely had fun.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5688 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Well, since you asked...

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes. I used to love dancing. Sadly, my husband does not.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe....depends on when I started drinking prior. Razz

Posts: 586 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Ah we can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're are no friends of mine

Word. This stanza right here is why I love classic music. Kids oughta get a copy downloaded when they get in the 9th grade and then have a test. Cool

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Anybody can dance
Trust me

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
At my wife's suggestion we took swing, ballroom, and other dance lessons.

Even though I was reluctant I agreed and I found that I really, really enjoyed dancing.

It didn't hurt that our dance instructor was very attractive and dancing with her was an absolute dream. It is amazing to dance with a partner who is a VERY good dancer.

After learning (some) dance moves I found that I enjoyed dancing. Ladies do enjoy it and my wife seems to enjoy loaning me out at events where dancing is de rigeur.

Dancing with a woman other than my wife is almost like having a (four minute) date without any risks or complications.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can dance. I started at an early age(mom sent me to dance lessons) and never really stopped. I grew up in a small town, and the kids had a dance every Saturday night. We also had a "sock hop" after every football game. It was what we did, and had a great time.....the girls all liked to dance!! I grew up during the rock and roll era, and that was fun music to dance to.

Posts: 6624 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Anybody can dance
Trust me

Thank you for posting that. I am amazed how far robotics have come. Cool

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When I was younger, yes, I could undulate in public without embarrassing myself. These days, I just don't give a shit, so while I may no longer be able to dance non-convulsively, if I want to shake a leg, I'll damn well do it and screw anyone who wants to critique my free-spirited ways.

I can't believe this thread made it to page 3 without this showing up:

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can't believe this thread made it to page 3 without this showing up:

Krazeehorse posted it on page 3.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post