SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you vacation in the same state you live?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you vacation in the same state you live? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Before you pack up and move, you need to decide that you
1. Can handle 7 or 8 feet of snow.
2. Don't mind the wind off Lake Superior when the air temp is below zero.
3. You have enough blood to survive the springtime mosquito and black fly season.
4. You'll meet people who just don't like trolls (anyone who lives below the bridge) screwing up the housing market.

I live in a lower peninsula tourist town. As soon as Labor Day comes we head for the UP but we spend a few weeks between tourist season and the first snow. That's the best time of the whole year. Then, we go back home. I'm sure the Yoopers like it that way. I know we don't appreciate the Illinois crowd moving to our town and pricing the locals out of the housing market.

Yes sir to all of the above, have been going up north for approximately 45 multiple times a year so am well versed in all of the above. Living on the shore of Lake Erie, I’m well versed in cold and snowy weather, although we don’t get quite the extent of snow as up there.

Posts: 457 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
First of all, you Texans are cheating. It truly is like a whole other country.

To the question: Yes. I live in Oklahoma. Several years ago, we stopped motorhoming to the coasts and started exploring our own state. The dinosaur tracks at Black Mesa. Robber's Cave. The Wichita Mountains. Grand Lake. Broken Bow.

We made a good decision. Thanks to the OP for the post.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not typically. I prefer to travel though we do make short trips to the far points occaisionally.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
Of course! I live in Paradise (others call it Florida) and we have warm weather almost all year round, perhaps a little warmer than some folks like it but it is perfect for me, we have nice beaches, nice quiet places the Yankees ain't discovered or messed up yet and, well, it truly is Paradise to me.

Yep!

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Last few vacations we went on were:
2020-Port Aransass (Covid restrictions ruined our trip to Aruba). Gray sand and dark water
2021-Madeira Beach Fla (just next to St. Pete). White beach, brown water
2022-Orange Beach Alabama, Florida/Al line. White beaches water was very bright green (only bad thing was the jellyfish)

Before moving to Tx we rarely went on vacation. Now due to Mrs. Mikes job and income we can afford it. But we have been to the beach mostly cause that’s whT she likes. I don’t count visiting mom n dad in the mountains as a vacation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
When my wife and I were younger, had no kids and even less money, yes, we staying in FL. Long weekends or sometimes a week (honeymoon) in Palm Beach, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, The Keys.

But with kids I have tried to travel, and now that they are a little older (10&14) I am really trying to show them new stuff.

Just in the last 5 years;

Road trip through through GA, TN, KY to Cincinnati (Reds games, Kings Island, family time) and time in Cleveland (Indians game, Cedar Point)

Various cruises with stops in Mexico (multiple ports), St Martin, St Thomas, Jamaica, Roatan, Aruba, Curacao and many private islands.

Multiple trips to the mountains of N GA (Blue Ridge, Elijay) and western NC (Tsali, Brevard, Lake Toxaway) and TN (Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg). We took many MTN trips during COVID. We have hiked and seen more waterfalls than I count.

A trip to NH and MA. Kancamagus Hwy area in NH and Ft. Williams Park / Portland in MA.

A trip to Las Vegas / Sedona / Grand Canyon.

A trip to Washington DC.

Planning on a Utah trip for next spring break. Maob, Zion, etc.

And next summer and I am torn between the CO Rockies and exploring the whole area from Boulder, to Breck to Colorado Springs. Or flying into SFO and exploring the city, wine country and traveling well up into N CA and spending some time among the redwood trees. I am leaning towards the redwoods.

Posts: 2307 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Why would I want to visit a lesser state? Big Grin

I enjoy spending long weekends in San Antonio, Austin, Hill Country, and Dallas.

Like others have said, Texas is enormous with a wide variety of terrain and climates. To put the size in perspective, my driving times to various places:
  • 8.3 hours to Amarillo, TX
  • 9 hours to Destin, FL
  • 12 hours to El Paso, TX
  • 12 hours to Atlanta, GA

In all seriousness, I'd rather visit Destin over Amarillo and Atlanta over El Paso.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Peripheral Visionary
    Picture of tigereye313
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    ...Atlanta over El Paso.

Barely, only barely.

Posts: 11362 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    In the last 16 years. . No
    But
    I purchase 75% of my groceries in another state

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54655 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Membership has its privileges
    Picture of P-220
    posted Hide Post
    I have been going to Kelleys Island since the 1960's. Going in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

Yes, it is in Ohio.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    TANSTAAFL
    posted Hide Post
    Closest thing to a vacation I’ve taken since I got out of the navy has been weekends with my son. He lives about 4 hours away with his mom. Those are a lot less often now that he’s 15 and prefers to be with his friends.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Down the Rabbit Hole
    Picture of Jupiter
    posted Hide Post
    Yes I do. Once or twice a year I go mountain climbing or head down to the miles of beautiful white sand beaches Mississippi is known for.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

Posts: 4833 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Fourth line skater
    Picture of goose5
    posted Hide Post
    Just spent 5 days in the Grand Lake/Granby area.

Posts: 7531 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Yes I do.

It is very nice here.

----------------------------------------------------
    Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post