SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Advise on a sprained wrist?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advise on a sprained wrist? Login/Join 
posted
Well I can't remember the last time I had a sprain, it's that long ago. Did it Thursday and had to work the last 2 days suffering as it gets worse.

Got home today and wrapped it with an Ace wrap. Any other suggestion to help?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Did you feel a "pop"?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No pop felt. I snapped a bicep tendon, this is nothing like that.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Rest / do not overextend youself/ do not forget that a sprain can take a lot longer to properly heal than broken bones/joints. Plus the re-injury of said sprain can happen again and take even longer to re-heal if it ever really does heal. 1972 Personally had bad sprained ankle that a young Army Lt. doctor wraped up and sent me home. Exactly 1 month to the day was back in the doctors office but this time the doctor was a Army Full Bird Colonel and walked out in a full boot cast. 24hrs later picture a Drill Sgt. marching Army trainees down the street to the classroom. And still today the ankle still gives me trouble. Best wish for a good recovery. .................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2008 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found a wrist brace tended to work better for me versus wrapping it, because it kept me from extended it too much and causing more pain.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CFR...12d3b1533760ddac880c

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How to Tell the Difference When Your Wrist Is Injured

Range of motion.Gently attempt to rotate your wrist. In a wrist sprain, you may be able to experience the entire range of motion (although it will be painful to move the joint).
Characterize the pain.The severity and intensity of pain depends on the injury. Generally, however, a broken wrist is described as an intense, sharp, stabbing pain. In contrast, a moderate to severe wrist sprain may be more of a throbbing pain. This is due to torn or stretched ligaments.
Assess crookedness.When the bones of the wrist are broken, they cause the joint to look crooked or misaligned. In contrast, a wrist sprain results in swelling but does not typically cause crookedness. In very severe cases, a broken wrist may have bone protruding through the skin.
X-ray.An X-ray remains the best way to differentiate between wrist fractures and sprains.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Use your left hand.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've jammed (sprained) each of my wrists at one time or another--the right one twice.

ACE bandages are not optimal because the can restrict blood flow to the joint, and blood flow aids recovery.

Each time I jammed a wrist I started out with a brace that extended all the way up into the palm, had in integral splint, and fastened around both the wrist and the palm of the hand. (Ended-up with a thumb hole when secured.) I'd wear that 24x7, except when showering or my hand would otherwise get wet.

As the wrist recovered I'd wear that brace only at night or when I otherwise wouldn't need to use that hand for anything, and would wear a simple wrap-around brace around the wrist the rest of the time.

Neither brace is made especially tight. They don't need to eliminate all motion, but limit it. In fact: Eliminating all motion, like wrapping tightly, is not optimal for healing.

I'd apply something like Prosage Message Oil at night, and take Advil or other NSAID at first, to reduce irritation and swelling, for a while after the injury first occurred.

It takes a long time for sprains to heal.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I have a brace squirreled away at work. Its like what the bowlers wear. It has a molded plastic support with three velcro straps. It can be worn on either wrist by taking out the plastic support and turning it 180 degrees. It helps a lot.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Each time I jammed a wrist I started out with a brace that extended all the way up into the palm, had in integral splint, and fastened around both the wrist and the palm of the hand. (Ended-up with a thumb hole when secured.) I'd wear that 24x7, except when showering or my hand would otherwise get wet.

I am wearing one of those braces right now, after falling (4ft) off a stepladder to a concrete floor on Thanksgiving Day. Went to the ER to confirm no fracture, just a severe sprain. The outpatient instructions said to expect 3-6 weeks for a bad sprain to heal. Surgery on my other wrist a few years ago (which was fractured) required much less time to heal.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

on Thanksgiving Day. Went to the ER to confirm no fracture, just a severe sprain. The outpatient instructions said to expect 3-6 weeks for a bad sprain to heal.

Bullshit. On December 21 last year I sprained my left ankle doing the strenuious activity of getting out of bed. Used the good one to get back in. Laid there for a while and decided it wasn't that bad. Hobbled to the shower and fell out. My wife found me when she got home, still passed out from the pain. She got me up, dressed and off to the ER. Because I was passed out from the pain, they took xrays. "Just" a bad sprain... We're coming up on a full year now and it still hurts. They decided to torture me with physical therepy. Did no good but the girl that did it was cute. I liked her. Not a whole lot because my wife was watching. I'm wondering if it'll hurt less at the 2 year point.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school I got hurt playing basketball. Went up for a ball and came down, another guy came down and landed (and stayed) on my foot. I twisted and fell backwards, unable to stop myself with him standing on my foot. Falling backwards I put my hands out behind me to brace for the fall.

I ended up with a sprained ankle, two sprained wrists and a badly bruised tail bone. Roll Eyes I looked like super dork in school limping around with a wrapped ankle and two wrapped wrists. That lasted about two days and I couldn't deal with it anymore, left the better of the two wrist unwrapped and dealt with the pain rather than the social horrors of high school. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Full time, for a while.

https://www.academy.com/shop/p...#repChildCatid=33996

Ice. And if you can a cheap TENS machine off Amazon.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12639 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post