SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I swore I wouldn't buy any at these crazy prices, and for the most part I haven't. I was pretty well stocked before this all began a year ago. Then, a month ago, I was able to pick up what amounts to a grail gun, a Winchester 1886 in .45-70. However, not having any other .45-70 guns, I had zero ammo for it. It took a while and some patience for some to become available, but it did and I bought two boxes of it at $2.50 a round plus shipping. Finally got a chance to go out and shoot it today. Worth the price of admission, but this will definitely be a rifle I'll be reloading for. I'm good on powder and primers and found some brass last week, it's supposed to arrive here tomorrow. Bullets are the problem, I have some hard cast ones on order from a couple of places but no idea when they'll ship. Anybody have a source for some .458 300 or 400gr JSP's? Wink

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought much ammo recently, as my inventory is pretty good. I now can survive a fairly extended run of high prices without issues.

Last week I sold some of my excess shotgun clays ammo to people at the office. Sold the boxes at my cost from a few years ago, so they were pleased. The cost was well below market prices.

Last week I found a couple of bricks of .22lr Wolf Match Extra at a reasonable price on the web. The supplier had 3 bricks. I could have been a pig and purchased all 3. By the time I printed my receipt, the other brick sold and inventory was 0.

I'm still shooting my rifles, as competition season is just getting rolling. Thus between practice and matches, my general inventory levels will likely fall for awhile. At least until prices decrease a bit.

IMO the good news is that retail inventory is showing up more and more. Weekends aren't the best time for options to buy. But ammoseek.com has some options. Moments ago, 211 offerings for 5.56 and 262 offerings for .223 ammo. That's a start. This reminds me of the off-and-on panics of 5-13 years ago, however this time I've seen a lot more offerings for quality varmint and match ammo from the internet retailers. IIRC, roughly 11-12 years ago I purchased 223 ammo of a bunch of types, one or two boxes at a time, whenever I could find some. Now I can sit back and say "yes" or "no", and generally purchase in quantities of 10 boxes at a time.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

IMO the good news is that retail inventory is showing up more and more. Weekends aren't the best time for options to buy. But ammoseek.com has some options. Moments ago, 211 offerings for 5.56 and 262 offerings for .223 ammo. That's a start. This reminds me of the off-and-on panics of 5-13 years ago, however this time I've seen a lot more offerings for quality varmint and match ammo from the internet retailers. IIRC, roughly 11-12 years ago I purchased 223 ammo of a bunch of types, one or two boxes at a time, whenever I could find some. Now I can sit back and say "yes" or "no", and generally purchase in quantities of 10 boxes at a time.

I'm seeing more and more ammo in gun stores all the time. Prices are still high, but it's available if you want it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Long term gun owners not replenishing at higher prices, many of us heeded the advise of buy low stack high when it made sense.

One thing we have to remember for ammo companies, they are not going to invest millions in new equipment to meet demand during these times, it would be foolhardy to put $10 million into a new plant for demand that most likely will ease in the future.

Conspiracy aside, it's most likely the millions of new gun owners, who, see current prices as normal prices, hoarders, and opportunists who buy up retail ammo to sell at markup...

Nothing new...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Long term gun owners not replenishing at higher prices, many of us heeded the advise of buy low stack high when it made sense.

One thing we have to remember for ammo companies, they are not going to invest millions in new equipment to meet demand during these times, it would be foolhardy to put $10 million into a new plant for demand that most likely will ease in the future.

Conspiracy aside, it's most likely the millions of new gun owners, who, see current prices as normal prices, hoarders, and opportunists who buy up retail ammo to sell at markup...

Nothing new...

If the numbers of new shooters/gun owners from last year are correct at 7 million, the math is staggering. If each shooter bought just 2 boxes of ammo, the increase in consumption would amount to 700 million more rounds. Up until a few weeks ago my local indoor range was busting at the seams with shooters that appeared to have no issues buying and shooting 9mm at $40 per box.

I can find ammo online and locally for approximately $700 per case. While it is available, it is also still selling at that price. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday our local Academy stores have 100+ people lined up starting about 7am to buy ammo. This is going to be a long haul endeavor I am afraid given the current state of our country.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a bunch of Russian steel case online, that’s a good sign. People are comfortable enough to pass on that now. And it looks like it’s slowly working it’s way down in price. I’ve managed to get some brass case at $25 for 50 9mm. That’s higher than I want it, but it’s my trigger to buy so I can shoot a little. Definitely not buying 1000s at that price

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prices are coming down, and availability going up, a little.

I'm not purchasing any.

Especially not from those profiteering off the present market. Fuck them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Prices are coming down, and availability going up, a little.

I'm not purchasing any.

Especially not from those profiteering off the present market. Fuck them.

I agree 100%. I'll shoot what 22LR I have on a limited basis but I'm not buying anything at current market prices.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm paying the current prices to practice, attend matches and train. I probably have enough stacked for the next 4 months doing the above three things but will replenish when needed. Having said that, if factory new ammo went above $1/round I'd start to curtail. It's already at .80 delivered. I don't reload.

Some of the folks I shoot with and reload are feeling the hurt unable to replenish primers.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Speculative value only, but I posted this link in the ammunition subforum, which may be appropro here... https://ammopricesnow.com/

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
I swore I wouldn’t, but found a blue label G20 this weekend and couldn’t pass it up. This being my first foray into 10mm and no large pistol primers to be found I didn’t have much choice so I bought three boxes. It’s not that much higher than 9mm at the moment, considering.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Speculative value only, but I posted this link in the ammunition subforum, which may be appropriate here... https://ammopricesnow.com/

The daily average price chart is somewhat useful... the hourly prices, not so much.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I ordered a thousand rounds of 9mm this morning for a wealthy friend. He doesn't care about the price, he just wanted it. I paid $550 plus shipping. The last thousand I ordered a little over a year ago was $250 plus.

I am not ordering anything for myself. I did recently reload 1k rds of 9mm with components I have had for a long time.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
So the night before last I was in the one and only big-box retailer in my town, who's name we shall not speak, and as luck would have it strolled through the sporting goods aisle. Much to my surprise, I look over to see they had a shelf full (looked like about 15-20 boxes) of Remington .22 500 rd. packs for $9 each, limit two per customer/day. That's 1000 rds. for ~$19.

Wound up back yesterday around lunch time...all gone. Clerk said he sold like 30 boxes. All in the span of about 18 hours with a 2 per customer limit. Wonder how much will wind up on-line for $60+ each. Roll Eyes

The local general store *occasionally* has a case or two show up of common calibers show up. Maybe once ~6 weeks or so. 1 box/customer per day. It seems to sit slowly for a day or two, then apparently the word gets out, and the entire shelf is going in a day. They're not gouging (much). I've been able to snag a few boxes over the past ~ year.

Hopefully things will recover sooner than later...three LGS's/sporting good shops have shuttered in the past year...probably tough to stay open if you have no ammo to sell. If you couldn't buy gas, would you go buy a new car or any accessories?

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy ammo on the internet. I had not placed an order in over a year. Had a lot on hand, so I have kept shooting, my neighbors give me some grief.

Placed two orders in the past week with these guys.

https://www.ammoshoponline.com/

Loverly blond Swedish ammo! Over twice what I used to pay, but ......

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post