SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A poll: Are you buying ammunition at the current prices? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I almost always forget to think of some possible response when designing polls, and in this case it could have been, “No, not now, but possibly later.” I was most interested in what people are doing now, though, and the “never” response was added as an option somewhat as an afterthought based on the many similar comments in other threads.

As always, though, if a poll doesn’t offer a response that applies to one’s own situation, the appropriate response is no response. Smile

Thanks for all the comments.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Had to go to Walmart the other day and stopped by to look at the empty ammo shelves...except there were a several CCI .22 mag 50 round packs. So yes, bought 2 at today’s price of $11 per 50.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I voted nope/never. I bought cheap and stacked deep when the getting was good. Problem is that I'm kind of wary of going out and expending any ammo at the range because of not being able to replenish as easily and cheaply.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Not at these prices.

I haven’t purchased anything since early February 2020. Found some .38 special ammo at a good price.

Haven’t been in a LGS in probably 2 years. Haven’t been to a gun show in at least 5 years.

Haven’t purchased a gun in probably 2.5 years.

Then, COVID-19 permanently took my job so I could not buy now even if I wanted to.

Crappy times indeed!

Posts: 794 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
I voted nope/never. I bought cheap and stacked deep when the getting was good. Problem is that I'm kind of wary of going out and expending any ammo at the range because of not being able to replenish as easily and cheaply.

Same. I have to renew my gun range membership this weekend and this is the first time in my life (past year) where I’m not shooting every single month. I just don’t want to eat into my stockpile.

This situation is forcing me to make some decisions. I am set to remodel most of the house this year and I was going to do a home gym in one of the bedrooms as I get frustrated at the lack of gym courtesy today. The younger crowd chased me out of the movie theaters and had me wanting to leave my gym for good. But this ammo bullshit. I may turn that extra bedroom into a gun room. Put my safe in there, buy some Dillons, a hand roller, and a very nice bench to field and/or detail strip. Put up some posters of bikini clad women and just enjoy the hell out of the room. All I’ve done thus far is buy a book on reloading. I’m going to have to make time to learn how to do this as I really miss shooting. And I really want to learn how to make 762X39 brass for myself. I know components are hard to find, it’s just a goal. I’ve long seen the brass catchers at my outdoor range and telling myself “too much work” well not anymore. Them dudes were doing it right and I was doing it wrong, depending on commercial ammo. While I was real pleased that I bought cheap and stocked deep. I should have been doing that with components instead of commercial ammo. My fault, have to own it and change.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
No.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
With all the new gun owners in the past year I wonder if ammo prices will eventually return to normal as supply eventually catches up with demand. Once that happens maybe ammo prices will begin to go down? Wishful thinking?

The panic buying and ammo feeding frenzy is so lame. I am not taking part in any of it. People line up outside of my local Academy REALLY early in the morning on days they are expected to get ammo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
After going through the Obama years, I learned my lesson and I've stockpiled as much as my income would allow over the years. I've bought ammo twice, both times were 300 Blackout for $0.80 or less which is comparable with non panic pricing. I have a 3-5 month wait, but got 500 rds of subs for $0.63 a round which I am very pleased with.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Yes, I’m shooting a lot more sporting clays and have been fortunate enough to not be spending higher than normal prices. I’m still getting flats of 250 rounds for about $65 taxes included. I also get lucky and get a few boxes of handgun and rifle ammo at reasonable prices to use to keep me shooting without dipping into what I have stockpiled. I will not pay the crazy prices and I’m about to roll 500 rounds on 45acp this weekend for some more training ammo. It’ll be the first time on the press in 15 years. I’m also down to my last box of reloads which are labeled 2004. I have components to keep me loading for a good while if needed.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
With all the new gun owners in the past year I wonder if ammo prices will eventually return to normal as supply eventually catches up with demand. Once that happens maybe ammo prices will begin to go down? Wishful thinking?

I think that's exactly what's going to happen, same as it has 4 previous times in the past.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. That’s what’s gonna happen. Also keep in mind only a small percentage of those new gun owners will become what we would consider new shooters. So although they put a massive initial strain on the supply most will not continue to put a strain on that supply as they bought their gun, bought their box or two of ammo and that’s that.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I think that's exactly what's going to happen, same as it has 4 previous times in the past.

Honestly, don’t see this in the coming years. There is not a lot of capacity being added from all I read and hear. They are not building new facilities, buying new equipment. Instead, they are maximizing what they have and running full production. Makes sense because they do not have crystal ball and if they had to idle that capacity 2 years from now, not good for the business. Add in, there are apparently constraints in primers, brass, lead, powder and they face some of the same issues...I think we remain constrained.

Prices will come down from this crazy, but not sure we will see it get to the levels of a year ago. I hope I am wrong, but too many are buying and shooting at these prices (new) and not seeing any signs of new manufacturing capacity being stood up. I thought I had enough - 1,000s of rounds of .32, 5.7, 5.56/.223, 7.62x39, 9mm. I have 10s of thousands of 22 and 22 WMR, and probably 1500 of .38/.357. But - every “bang” of all by the .22 has gotten stupid expensive and like many of you I have tabled shooting much other than .22 LR and .22WMR. Too expensive and too much uncertainty, so like the manufacturers we are taking a wait and see. Add in, if ammo legislation gets passed in some form, that too will keep the price elevated. I truly hope my read is long, but for the next 3-4 years...think this is the reality and I’m planning accordingly. Buying some small amounts of “reasonable” .22 so I don’t break the bank, and tabling buying any other caliber for now.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course the price will come down. There is zero reason other than pure panic that would indicate otherwise. So what about new shooters? The vast majority of them will buy a certain amount of ammo, shoot very little of it and that’s it. There won’t be millions and millions of new shooters at matches and competitions.

If you need any further evidence go back and reread this thread. No big firm is breaking ground on new capacity. The experts see this fir what it is. A blip that at this point is becoming kind of predictable. A blip that is also not worthy of building more capacity that would be shuttered in short order.

This is panic pure and simple that will pass.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Heck no, now is the perfect time to put your ammo budget towards something like night vision, body armor, or a security/camera system. Or just blow it all on fishing gear, that works too.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I got back into shooting, big time, right after Obama got elected the first time. Was just raped paying the prices and no availability at all. I learned a lesson. I've spent the last decade+ buying ammo, a lot of ammo, so much I really don't think I can shoot it all in my lifetime.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I have been well-stocked for a while, so I haven't had to purchase recently, but I may buy soon anyway. There's nothing to stop the fascists in Washington from limiting the Second Amendment by taxing the heck out of ammunition. These current prices may look like a bargain soon.

Posts: 8615 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only ammo I'll purchase currently are 410 and 28 gauge shotshells and I ONLY buy them when they come in stock at Cabela's or Sportman's Den, who still sell target shotshells at normal retail prices. BTW, just started shooting these calibers and need hulls badly for reloading. Hopefully BP will get an adequate supply of hulls from Fiochi at some point in time because paying 12 bucks a box for hulls is getting expensive.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No. Awaiting the arrival of a P365 BB pistol, 200 CO2 cartridges, and 6000 BBs. Now thinking how I want to construct indoor BB traps.

Posts: 847 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is me every time I see these astonishing, insane prices:

Thankfully I’ve got a decent stash and don’t shoot hardly much anymore with being busy with young kids, this will last me for years past this craziness.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:

Yep. That’s what’s gonna happen. Also keep in mind only a small percentage of those new gun owners will become what we would consider new shooters. So although they put a massive initial strain on the supply most will not continue to put a strain on that supply as they bought their gun, bought their box or two of ammo and that’s that.

I think that when the prices return to normal I’m going to buy a bunch of extra and then when they go up again sell it for a nice profit. It’s all about diversifying my portfolio.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post