SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Plumbing question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plumbing question Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
What should the water pressure be on your home main water valve? I have mine set to 70psi right now, and most of my water is OK but I still have one bathroom that is performing weak. I don't want to crank it up much more.

The house is mostly PEX tube

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10731 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The city water here is 50 PSI.
Well water is 40-60 PSI.

So your 70 PSI is more than adequate!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are we talking a well? or something else?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our well tank is set at 40

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Many fixtures have flow controls built into them. Like 2 g.p.m. shower heads and faucet aerators. 50 p.s.i. should be plenty. Too much more and you'll be blowing residential ballcocks apart.

The one bathroom with weak performance, is the issue with all the fixtures? Just the hot on one or two of them?

Typical issues: Clogged flow restrictor, riser valve not fully open or impaired with lodged debris (fully close then fully open; if it is quarter-turn operation, leave all the way open; if brass body with rising washer, fully open then close half a turn).

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Has the fixture in question always had a flow problem? It could just be a bad fawcet.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My pressure is 125 psi when it enters the house. I step it down to 55 psi. You have some other problem...It's not a pressure problem.

Posts: 5769 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
The city water here is 50 PSI.
Well water is 40-60 PSI.

So your 70 PSI is more than adequate!

This for the win.
I would be hesitant to crank it up beyond what you have now...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6335 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Check to see if that faucet has a screen and if so it might be clogged and need cleaning.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
70 static is plenty. Wish I had that! Is it the entire bathroom or just one fixture that is low flow?

Small town ~500 people... Our city water here is week, Im at almost the elevation of the base of the water tower. It usually runs around 35lb, and I have seen it as low as 22 or 23. I monitor it via a gauge at the washer. The local water utility engineer said the government regulations require them had to supply a minimum of 20 lbs. Below that and they have to "fix" it via providing a booster pump etc.

My water also goes off several times a week after midnight while they refill the 135 year old ground level wooden storage tank Eek I Know better now but have been caught in the shower three times by it!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post