SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    South Carolina man goes out with a bang on July 4th
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Carolina man goes out with a bang on July 4th Login/Join 
posted
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...ireworks-July-4.html

Posts: 13010 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
he shouldn't have done that

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Hold my beer....."

Posts: 72 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Shocker that alcohol was involved

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Well he won't be doing much celebrating now, will he?

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Sad, a stupid act cost a family man his life, take no joy whatsoever from this.

Posts: 2829 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
It's unfortunate. Had a guy with a cannon a few years ago that ended up blasting his own limbs (body parts) into a neighboring yard.

Posts: 2034 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Everyone thinks they know how explosives work strictly, strictly based on the movies they watch. It is the same thing with binary explosives - you’ve seen all the stupid stuff done with that and all the close calls.

Alcohol mixed in did not help things out. It may have been stupid, but I still feel for the family and those around him. I am pretty sure he had no idea he could be killed.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
I am pretty sure he had no idea he could be killed.
Well, it probably wasn't the last thing that went through his head.

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
This happened to another person a few years ago.

Posts: 3247 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
He never knew what happened...Gone in a Flash-Bang! Sad situation for those he left behind though...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Sad really. This was my first idea of what happened. A metal plate may have been a good idea. They do malfunction at times but probably worked as intended.

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
When my boys were about 8 and 10, maybe 9 and 11, we were at my brothers and I was launching some fireworks from his back patio. I showed the boys how to do it, make sure the tube is cool, no lingering sparks or flames, never stand over it when you put the next load in, slide it down into the tube, light the fuse and move away from the launcher.

So I went inside to get something to eat and told them they could keep launching. There were some other adults outside watching. This was about a 3” diameter launch tube, about 16” high. Wall thickness about 3/8”- pretty typical home launch kit.

I’m inside and I hear several normal sounding launches, then one extremely loud boom that definitely sounded off. I go outside to find the launch tube split open like the cartoon exploded barrel. Best I could figure is that they dropped a charge into the tube upside down, and when the launch charge ignited it immediately ignited the 2 other charges that are meant to be aerial.

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw this story. I don’t know if a normal launch is strong enough to cause massive brain damage, but if loaded improperly definitely. Certainly could have been a normal launch, as I really have no idea of the recoil forces in a launch tube, as they’re not normally hand held- or head held.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I was reading a story about a guy in Redmond, Washington who did the exact same thing and died the other night in front of his six kids. Put a mortar on top of his head, DRT. In that conversation, a guy who used to be a live action Disney performer who played Gaston was mentioned who had died doing the same thing, now this guy. Astounding.

quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Certainly could have been a normal launch, as I really have no idea of the recoil forces in a launch tube, as they’re not normally hand held- or head held.

Well, it's enough of a powder charge to send a half pound or a pound of explosives a couple hundred feet in the air in just a few seconds. It's got to be significant. It's clearly enough to provide lethal force to the skull on a consistent basis, if the news stories are anything to go on.

Posts: 17573 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
From what I read and saw online, this was not just some safe & sane consumer fireworks item, but a mortar shell type of fireworks device. Poor bastard blew his head off, literally.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
You're doing it wrong.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36894 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://cwbchicago.com/2024/07...-chicago-police.html

Looked down the tube at the wrong time.
Half of his melon is missing. I’ve seen some good ones, this one is near the top.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8506 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
This happened to another person a few years ago.

Devon Staples Who Played Gaston at Disney World Dies After Shooting Firework Off Head (2015)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's another one. Local guy with the 'mortar style' firework in Redmond WA.

quote:
45-year-old man dead after being hit in head by 'mortar style' firework in Redmond

"The sale and discharge of fireworks are prohibited in Redmond."

https://komonews.com/news/loca...ficers-investigation

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13482 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post