SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    South Carolina man goes out with a bang on July 4th
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South Carolina man goes out with a bang on July 4th Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Simulation of mortar fired off someone's head, normal configuration:

Simulation of mortar fired off someone's head, mortar round inadvertantly inverted:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I read in the local paper this morning that a man in Northern Illinois died of burns he received on the 4th.

Posts: 5677 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Well, I like his style. I wish he'd not have done that. Seems a good dude, having (a little too much) fun. RIP Uncle Sam Man.

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Head Banger's Ball?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
From what I read and saw online, this was not just some safe & sane consumer fireworks item, but a mortar shell type of fireworks device. Poor bastard blew his head off, literally.
Like firearms, automobiles, chainsaws, etc., fireworks can neither be safe nor sane. Safe and sane are up to the person and the guy failed at least one.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Well, I like his style. I wish he'd not have done that. Seems a good dude, having (a little too much) fun. RIP Uncle Sam Man.

Same. Tough loss for his wife and son.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

My feelings as well. I know quite a few good people who have been seriously injured playing with fireworks. Mixing it with drinks doesn't help.

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simulation of mortar fired off someone's head, mortar round inadvertantly inverted:

It wouldn't even take an inadvertant inversion.
  • Some mortars fail to launch but detonate anyway (aka ground detonation). For many years, I used to light 2 dozen mortars NYE and 2 dozen mortars every July 4th and in that time had one ground detonation. I remember a neighbor having a ground detonation once too. A ground detonation would be a bad thing off the top of your head.
  • They're all made in China, don't appear to have much QA/QC, and the bottoms could blow out on a surface softer than concrete, asphalt, or wood. Some of the mortar tubes the entire thing (tube & base) is plastic, but others are cardboard tubes with really cheap particle board bases. Due to safety concerns, I always screwed the mortar tubes to a 2x8 so the tubes wouldn't tip over. About 75% of the cul-d-sac's 10 or 12 dozen mortars were shot through the tubes I mounted to the 2x8, and the cheap particle board base ones were in worse shape afterward while the plastic ones looked like they could be re-used (I used new mortar tubes every holiday anyway). I wouldn't want to shoot either off my head.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Lost
    Picture of kkina
    posted Hide Post
    ^Yes, indeed. I thought it was obvious that it could have been simply caused by immediate detonation of the main charge, but maybe it's not.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
    "First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I swear I had
    something for this
    posted Hide Post
    And then you have Ballistic High Speed doing some tests in Slo Mo...

Posts: 4421 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    thin skin can't win
    Picture of Georgeair
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    ...and was drunk at the time
    You don't say.

quote:
    He was living his best life last night
    Is that like "killed doing what he loved" sort of BS?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12641 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Been in upstate SC for a little over a year.

Not surprising at all.

Some crazy, weird Dukes of Hazard stuff going on here all the time.

Posts: 1688 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post