SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could ChatGPT replace Google?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could ChatGPT replace Google? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I hope that someone that has ChatGPT will give it this request:

“Compose a limerick about a man named Parabellum.”

Yeah, I know – I’m skating on thin ice.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^

There once was a man named Parabellum,
His aim was both quick and temerarious,
With a gun in his hand,
He'd make his stand,
And fire off rounds that were vigorous!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Thank you! A great limerick. Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of our college librarians stopped by a week or so ago because she wanted to tell our Dean about a ChatGPT demo she had just attended and how inaccurate and inconsistent responses had been. Also to discuss that we know students are already using it, and how eventually any use of it will need be disclosed in scholarly research publication disclosures. She was absolutely unimpressed at this stage.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^
You have no idea how unimpressed I am with the current state of scholarly research, which is both inaccurate and inconsistent. Librarian jobs are endangered by ChatGPT and similar platforms.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried any of it myself yet, honestly I'm paranoid it might get my data pregnant or something when I'm not looking. Could be tomorrow, could be in a decade. Who knows?

That said, these are obviously the early days of what is being called "prompt engineering", and I have a feeling that the tinkerers of today will be glad they didn't get left behind at this point.

Guess I need to figure out how to boil my laptop in a hurry if need be.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
How about this…

Query: C# function to mask the non-public digits of a social security number

public string MaskSSN(string ssn)
{
    if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(ssn) || ssn.Length < 9)
    {
        return ssn;
    }

return ssn.Substring(0, 3) + "***-**-" + ssn.Substring(ssn.Length - 4);
}

But I know a helluva lot more about SPITBOL, my ancient, but wonderful, everyday programming language, than ChatGPT does.

Serious about crackers

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Nope, similar issue to the first example Bytes posted, has the first three digits plus a hyphen before the masked SSN.

E.g. 123-45-6789 -> 123-***-**-6789

That kind of thing is really outside the primary design goal of ChatGPT, it’s sort of astonishing it even gets that close.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Back when writers about what a future would be like were focusing on flying cars or even more extreme science fiction-type views, did any of them anticipate anything like the Internet, search engines, or even a glimmer of what AI holds for us?

I’m trying to remember the name of the sci-fi series set on a planet with different semi-warring factions, one of which was an organized military. One specific I recall was that they relied on a computer system to guide their operations until conditions and situations changed so much that it was no longer reliable. Then of course there was Hal in 2001 and the sentient robots in the Asimov stories, but I don’t recall anything exactly like what we have today and how AI could affect our actual future.

Comments? Refresh my memory. Smile

I remember reading a sci fi short story on viruses on the internet except it wasn't called the internet. The viruses were called worms.

Years later, I saw that story referenced as the first story about malware.

Then there's 2001: a space odyssey in 1968 with HAL the computer who was named HAL to be one letter ahead of IBM. "I can't do that, Dave." It was sentient.

There's the Jetsons with a cleaning robot.

There's a movie where a computer was playing a game with a boy, at least, the boy thought it was a game. The computer was actually using actual military assets like ICBMs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
There's a movie where a computer was playing a game with a boy, at least, the boy thought it was a game. The computer was actually using actual military assets like ICBMs.
War Games.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Today ChapGPT. Tomorrow we’ll all be worshiping Mr. Skippy Hasurmoney.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Microsoft is introducing AI to Bing searches.

Check out the below video. They start talking about it at about 33 minutes and start using it at about 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/live/A...np5yms?feature=share

I was impressed by it.

Don't be too impressed yet https://dkb.blog/p/bing-ai-cant-be-trusted

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tim Pool seems to be having fun with a jail broke version of chatgpt.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I guess Bing Chat has started threatening people.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
There once was a man named Parabellum,
His aim was both quick and temerarious,
With a gun in his hand,
He'd make his stand,
And fire off rounds that were vigorous!

^^^^

This was pretty good and accurate.

However, there is a liberal bias in the matrix that is fairly well documented.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I went with a haiku.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That haiku is not a haiku, you stupid computer. Five-seven-six is not correct. Computer needs more practice, bleep blorp.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Let’s try this again.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post