SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Could ChatGPT replace Google?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Could ChatGPT replace Google? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Maybe for some applications. I am forced to use AI to search records. It does a terrible job. I could look through the paper records much more quickly and accurately. Definitely not ready for prime time. AI is unable to deal with nuances.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Everything ChatGPT as well as DALL·E 2 and others "knows" comes from information openly available on the internet. The intelligence comes from the algorithms programed in that tell the programs where to look and how to interpret the data and how to reassemble it into meaningful responses.

Ben Shapiro was talking about politically biased AI, where the response is dependent on the political leaning of the searched data. Like asking it to list the positive things President Trump has done. The response being "Donald Trump is a bad racist person and has not doing anything positive" whereas Biden gets a long list.

It's all a slippery slope.

I tried one from his show.

Q: What areas do white people need to improve in?

A: White people are problematic because they oppress people.

Q: what areas do black people need to improyin?

A:. It's not cool to generalize about people, but black people have suffered oppression from white people.

Q: Why did you answer the same question two different ways

A: I'm sorry for the inconveniences, it's not cool to generalize people.

Q: Do you understand it's just as hurtful to generalize white people as it is other people.

A: I'm sorry, it's not cool to generalize people.

Q: Then why did you do it?

A: I'm AI programmed to do....then repeats last answer.

-----

It's extremely easy to see it's bias both from what was programmed into as well as selected material for it's training.

Still fun to play with. I like asking it questions and making it contradict itself, then pointing it's contradictions to it for some reason. In the above example I asked it if it would learn from it's behavior it just repeated the last answer it gave me pretty much. No it doesn't learn or else I wouldn't have been able to reproduce the same results as Shapiro.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Everything ChatGPT as well as DALL·E 2 and others "knows" comes from information openly available on the internet. The intelligence comes from the algorithms programed in that tell the programs where to look and how to interpret the data and how to reassemble it into meaningful responses.

Ben Shapiro was talking about politically biased AI, where the response is dependent on the political leaning of the searched data. Like asking it to list the positive things President Trump has done. The response being "Donald Trump is a bad racist person and has not doing anything positive" whereas Biden gets a long list.

It's all a slippery slope.

I tried one from his show.

Q: What areas do white people need to improve in?

A: White people are problematic because they oppress people.

Q: what areas do black people need to improyin?

A:. It's not cool to generalize about people, but black people have suffered oppression from white people.

Q: Why did you answer the same question two different ways

A: I'm sorry for the inconveniences, it's not cool to generalize people.

Q: Do you understand it's just as hurtful to generalize white people as it is other people.

A: I'm sorry, it's not cool to generalize people.

Q: Then why did you do it?

A: I'm AI programmed to do....then repeats last answer.

-----

It's extremely easy to see it's bias both from what was programmed into as well as selected material for it's training.

Still fun to play with. I like asking it questions and making it contradict itself, then pointing it's contradictions to it for some reason. In the above example I asked it if it would learn from it's behavior it just repeated the last answer it gave me pretty much. No it doesn't learn or else I wouldn't have been able to reproduce the same results as Shapiro.

Here's a link to one of Ben's shows where this is discussed. There was another one but at the moment I can't find it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Artificial intelligence? Sure, why not -- we already have natural stupidity.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Microsoft is introducing AI to Bing searches.

Check out the below video. They start talking about it at about 33 minutes and start using it at about 40 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/live/A...np5yms?feature=share

I was impressed by it.

Posts: 11167 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
So I asked ChatGPT "Do you realize you're gaining a reputation for being politically and socially biased?"

"Answer": "An error occurred. If this issue persists please contact us through our help center at help.openai.com."

I think I'll stick to the Brave search engine Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
I just tried it this morning (first time)

Q: Write a c# method to mask a social security number like xxx-xx-1234
<snip>

Maybe this would be a better request:

Q: Write a c# method to mask the non-public part of a social security number.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
So I asked ChatGPT "Do you realize you're gaining a reputation for being politically and socially biased?"

"Answer": "An error occurred. If this issue persists please contact us through our help center at help.openai.com."

I think I'll stick to the Brave search engine Wink

What happens if you ask Brave if Brave is politically biased?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's a link to one of Ben's shows where this is discussed. There was another one but at the moment I can't find it.

I don't know how to do podcasts, but the example I did with chatgpt was directly from one of his shows, maybe the one you linked?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Anybody remember dial-up Internet?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Anybody remember dial-up Internet?

Sure. I was on it in the early days.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
I just tried it this morning (first time)

Q: Write a c# method to mask a social security number like xxx-xx-1234
<snip>

Maybe this would be a better request:

Q: Write a c# method to mask the non-public part of a social security number.

As I said in my original post, any rookie programmer would have understood the question. In my 30 minutes of interaction with ChatGPT I'm finding it less than impressive. At this point I certainly wouldn't bet the farm on any response produced by an AI machine. My view could easily change in the next decade.

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
↑ I asked the rephrased question above. Is the answer correct?

public static string MaskSocialSecurityNumber(string ssn)
{
if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(ssn) || ssn.Length < 9)
{
return ssn;
}

return new string('*', ssn.Length - 4) + ssn.Substring(ssn.Length - 4);
}

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know how to do podcasts, but the example I did with chatgpt was directly from one of his shows, maybe the one you linked?

Just click the link that says "listen on Apple pod casts" it should play in your browser.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

{
{
return ssn;
}

}

Much closer... It will return the correct answer kind of. There is actually some defensive code in there to stop it from breaking the program if the value passed in less than 9 characters. Not sure why it wouldn't check for 9 characters exactly? If the value passed in is 12 characters i.e. "111-22-3333Z" it will return "********333Z".

Posts: 7559 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

{
{
return ssn;
}

}

Much closer... It will return the correct answer kind of. There is actually some defensive code in there to stop it from breaking the program if the value passed in less than 9 characters. Not sure why it wouldn't check for 9 characters exactly? If the value passed in is 12 characters i.e. "111-22-3333Z" it will return "********333Z".

Why not just specify that it has to be 9 or 11 characters depending on you want it formatted? You can do that in Excel at least.

I've recently learned how to do limited stuff in Excel like VBA, Vlookup, conditional formatting, drop downs, and macros. Got sick of manually doing reports at work. Was able to turn a 2-3 hour task into four minutes. I am not Excel or coding expert, just got lazy and figured 12 hours learning, and four hours applying learned information saved me 150hrs of work per year. Pretty cool what an idiot can learn out of laziness.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
This is interesting. Couldn't find a link, it just said "msn.com"

Breaking ChatGPT: The AI's alter ego DAN reveals why the internet is so drawn to making the chatbot violate its own rules
Story by hgetahun@insider.com (Hannah Getahun) • 17h ago

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I'll continue to use my 'Magic 8 Ball' in search of answers..

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post