SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Because I Practice What I Preach - I'm Running For School Board (Again)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Because I Practice What I Preach - I'm Running For School Board (Again) Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
Last year two of us parents ran against two incumbents. One was the President of the Board, and the other the Treasurer and member of the state association. Both are big names in our small community, and between the two of them had served on the school board for a cumulative total of 48 years.

This was the first time either of us have ever done anything like this, and it was quite the learning experience. We personally knocked on over 1,000 doors, spoke to members of our community at meet the candidate events, and were even interviewed on a local conservative morning radio talk show. We took 46% of the vote.

This year there are three seats available. Two of the incumbents chose to bow out, and the single incumbent who filed to run did so very late. We assume she was coerced to refile by the President along with one of his friends. Otherwise myself and two other parents would have been the only candidates on the ballot.

The pressure from our parents has been enough to get some changes underway and get two current members to seriously reconsider serving again. It doesn't matter if your children attend public schools, or even if you have children at all. We have all witnessed the nonsense going on in these schools, and it's our duty to fix it. You can run yourself, or identify, encourage, and support others that are.

I know there are some here that will ask how they can help me. I only ask for two things:

If you are on facebook you can like, follow, and/or share my campaign page. https://www.facebook.com/profi...p?id=100075522777686. You can also visit my website should you have any interest. www.frankzykan.com.

I also ask that you locate those who are running in your districts and if they are part of the solution follow them, share their pages, talk to your friends/family about them, and if you're so inclined offer them a small donation. Many of these races can be very expensive to run, especially for newcomers. In addition, encourage everybody you know to vote on election day.

We can fix this. We just need to get as many of us as possible involved.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Frank.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Good luck, this is the place to start fixing things at the local level!

Your tag line, Vote Frank, he's a Safe Bet!

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Good for you. School board can be a very rewarding experience. I served 7 years on a school board - 6 as board chairman. I got the honor of signing both of our children's diploma. Our schools weren't broken and we made sure they stayed that way by nixing any sign of woke-ness and 'modern' math.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Good luck and thanks for getting in the ring.

Posts: 17131 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38678 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Go get 'em, Frank. From what I know of you, I think you would make a formidable member of that board.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107602 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Quotes from your website;

"With few exceptions, I am opposed to our schools wading into issues involving morals, religion, or sexuality as I feel those topics are best left to the individual families."

"Students should not be made to feel guilty about who they are"

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Orange County / Central Florida, which is the 11th largest school district in the nation, with an annual budget of over $4 billion dollars, just elected someone with no experience over someone with a Phd in education and a lifetime spent in education.

The newcomer is so far to the right that she is doing the complete opposite of what I quoted you on above. She wants to bring religion into the schools. She wants to bring morals back, her morals. She has already publicly bullied children who do not conform to her ideology.

It sounds like you are running on a good platform, I wish you the best of luck.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Best wishes, and good luck.

We can't complain about the country falling apart if we're unwilling to serve and work to make it better.

Good job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you. I did a partial term for an abandoned seat and ran and won a full term.

It was an extremely interesting and challenging position. I had the honor of being written up in my hugely lib city's rag as "a barbarian at the gates" and on the same day in the considerably more conservative county paper (at the time, not now) as "A voice of reason".

I just mention that to reinforce what you already know, that politics ain't bean-bag. So again, good luck to you.

Posts: 6395 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Yep, best wishes. I just joined Next Door which is a social media by neighborhoods. I found a thread complaining about hoe the city mayor is corrupt and not caring about the community. It seemed like a general consensus.

The head scratcher for me is that the guy ran unopposed just like a good number of city positions.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I applaud you for caring and running.

As an aside, I would say the same thing about jury duty. We need juries of our peers serving in these ground level opportunities.

Our children's lives and the future are impacted by leftist school boards, get em out, we are way late in playing this game.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but we’re did you go to high school? (St. Louis joke). It’s a tough job and we need tough people to steer our schools down the right path. Best of luck.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Frank. You’ll do great things. Being a business owner will lend you a good perspective when making financial decisions. The rest is really common sense. You will probably deal with more personnel issues than you realize.

We have 4 openings this election cycle, 3-3 yr terms and 1-1 yr term to fill the seat of a board member that stepped down. Only 3 signed up for the 3 full terms, which included me, so I won’t need to run a campaign. While it’s nice to not to have to deal with the stress of a campaign, I would like for more to be willing to run. Everyone wants to complain, but no one wants to deal with the work of actually serving. It’s kind of sad. Either the community thinks we are doing a good job or we are all suckers and doing a job no one wants…

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Best of luck Frank.

You too, Erick85. What school district?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you both!

Jim

Posts: 1341 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Best of luck Frank.

You too, Erick85. What school district?

Hillsboro.

This will be my third term. 2015-18 and 2020- present.

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I served on the Mehlville School Board for 6 years. Now, we can't get a conservative candidate to even run. The board is completely NEA rubber-stamp candidates.
At least in neighboring Lindbergh there is one (David Randleman) brave enough to run.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother in law lives in Columbia, MO. He has told me some of the things going on in that school district and I just shake my head. He’s one of those that will complain but not run. I tell him every time to that he need to run. You can’t enact change/make a difference if you’re not willing to put yourself out there.