SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asheville, NC is slowing falling apart...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asheville, NC is slowing falling apart... Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Pictures aged well. Was that slide or print film?

What stood out to me was the lack of crowds. Not that way when we've been in the last five years. Crowded usually but still a neat experience.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
In 1972 I toured the Biltmore House in Asheville. It was a different time, for sure.

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...ms/72157637747670794

flashguy

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having lived in Asheville since 1995, I’ve seen it change dramatically. Some for the better, some for the worse. Still overall a good place to live, but have to say I don’t venture downtown much anymore. It’s a great place to enjoy the outdoors, hiking, mountain biking, fly fishing, etc. Incredible weather also, at least when it’s not raining four days a week like it seemed to often last year. Believe it or not, the Biltmore estate also has a sporting clays course/club that I'm a member of and a local gun shop has opened up a new shooting facility with a long range rifle course which I understand is state of the art and first class. Hoping to make it there soon. Anyway, the progressives haven't run all of us off...

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 245 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Is Asheville a university town?
Never been to NC.

HK Ag

Posts: 3535 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Pictures aged well. Was that slide or print film?

What stood out to me was the lack of crowds. Not that way when we've been in the last five years. Crowded usually but still a neat experience.

quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
In 1972 I toured the Biltmore House in Asheville. It was a different time, for sure.

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...ms/72157637747670794

flashguy
In 1972 I was probably using a Nikkormat FT camera and Kodak film. Some of the images show rounded corners, strongly suggesting that they were scanned from slides. The lack of saturation suggests they were not made with Kodachrome, so I would have been using Ektachrome ASA 64 at that time. I checked some other images taken at around the same time, and they all have rounded corners--a strong indication I was using slide film. Color renditon appears about the same, too.
197204-08 by David Casteel, on Flickr

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
We're not too far away from Asheville, but rarely visit there. If we do, it's only to go brewery hopping...there are tons of them in Asheville.
We usually choose to go to Hendersonville, Flat Rock, Brevard...all west of Asheville.

Now, the OP's town, Black Mountain, east of Asheville, is beautiful...very small, quaint town with a few cool restaurants and shops. My wife and I go about once a year to a furniture store, Tyson's, which has been there for as long as I can remember. And Montreat College (a small, private, Christian, liberal arts college) just above Black Mountain is beautiful. It has special meaning to our family and many friends...the youth from our Presbyterian church have retreats there quite often, and are always talking about how special Montreat is to them.

Posts: 746 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another example of anything a democrat touches, turn to crap quickly. Look at any democrat run city, county, state or organization; It ain't pretty and doomed to fail hard.

Posts: 970 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Is Asheville a university town?
Never been to NC.

HK Ag

UNC-Asheville and Lenoir-Rhyne, along with a number small schools in outlaying communities.

Asheville also has a vocal (for its size) LGBT community, which likes to see itself as the paragon of leftist direction/thought.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post