SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Asheville, NC is slowing falling apart...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asheville, NC is slowing falling apart... Login/Join 
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The wife and I spent our first wedding anniversary in Asheville, in the late 1990s. It was back then what we want it to be today- a quiet, beautiful little town with a storied past. No camps for the homeless, no needles and feces in the streets. No one hassling you for a handout.

There's no fixing this stuff, because those who allowed it to happen in the first place won't listen to reason or even believe their own eyes.

So very true. I graduated high school in 2001. Asheville was a happening place at that time and I loved it here. Now, 20 years later, the sistering towns are great, but Asheville proper is pretty much a no fly zone for us. Not that I'm afraid of the town, just that I don't want to take that added risk. I get a headache at how much I have to pay attention to while in downtown, just not worth it any more.

---------------------------
“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I worked and lived in Asheville from 2002 to 2006 and watched it steadily deteriorate. It’s a shame how leftists always take the most beautiful parts of the country and destroy it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asheville = Berkeley of the Appalachian's.

Spent some time there visiting friends, a fair number of outdoor sales representatives live there. Like others have pointed out, for awhile, it was a nice town, with a nice vibe, a bit Left than most of NC but, still within acceptable limits where you could enjoy a change of pace.

The last 20-25 years has definitely seen the slide toward the extreme, like other far-left college towns: Madison, Boulder, Eugene, Santa Cruz, Arcata etc...these places have attracted a different element. Far-left rhetoric which used to be confined to the gritty urban areas in Germany, Spain and Ireland has made its way to the US, much more confrontational, much more eschewing of common norms. Recent graduates of surrounding schools have stayed and established themselves, a beachhead for their brand of thought and living. Those long time residents who pride themselves on a more libertarian way of life, are unawares that they're being taken advantage of. Meth and fentanyl has changed the face of the rural substance abuser, combined with the 'alternative ways' this at this new Leftist thought has allowed/encourage a trashy, overrun, worn-down appearance to such communities.

Posts: 15085 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Asheville = Berkeley of the Appalachian's.

Spent some time there visiting friends, a fair number of outdoor sales representatives live there. Like others have pointed out, for awhile, it was a nice town, with a nice vibe, a bit Left than most of NC but, still within acceptable limits where you could enjoy a change of pace.

The last 20-25 years has definitely seen the slide toward the extreme, like other far-left college towns: Madison, Boulder, Eugene, Santa Cruz, Arcata etc...these places have attracted a different element. Far-left rhetoric which used to be confined to the gritty urban areas in Germany, Spain and Ireland has made its way to the US, much more confrontational, much more eschewing of common norms. Recent graduates of surrounding schools have stayed and established themselves, a beachhead for their brand of thought and living. Those long time residents who pride themselves on a more libertarian way of life, are unawares that they're being taken advantage of. Meth and fentanyl has changed the face of the rural substance abuser, combined with the 'alternative ways' this at this new Leftist thought has allowed/encourage a trashy, overrun, worn-down appearance to such communities.

While I don't disagree. I graduated from a liberal arts college, UNC-A. But I didn't drink the Kool Aid all up while I was there. It's made me well rounded, but I come from deep roots of American Pride and brotherhood that weren't going to be altered in 4 years of college.

“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I knew about Asheville being the "hippie capital of NC" and other names, but I didn't know it was turning into Shit Francisco. That's sad.

My personal experience with the place is trying to drive through it on my way to somewhere else, usually the periodic gun shows in Fletcher. (Johnson City, TN is only ~65 miles away, and the drive itself is scenic.) The freeway "system," such as it is, absolutely sucks. Poorly marked signage, narrow lanes, left entrances and exits that you have to dart across three lanes of traffic to get to, and a sharp turn.

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I knew about Asheville being the "hippie capital of NC" and other names, but I didn't know it was turning into Shit Francisco. That's sad.

My personal experience with the place is trying to drive through it on my way to somewhere else, usually the periodic gun shows in Fletcher. (Johnson City, TN is only ~65 miles away, and the drive itself is scenic.) The freeway "system," such as it is, absolutely sucks. Poorly marked signage, narrow lanes, left entrances and exits that you have to dart across three lanes of traffic to get to, and a sharp turn.

They don't call it "Malfunction Junction" for nothing!

— William Blake

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Planning a motorcycle trip down Skyline Dr and the Blue Ridge and I was going to make Ashville a stop. I think I'll just be passing through instead.

Posts: 1655 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:
Planning a motorcycle trip down Skyline Dr and the Blue Ridge and I was going to make Ashville a stop. I think I'll just be passing through instead.

You’d be better off driving thru Hendersonville...beautiful country and small town appeal.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by SHOOTIN BLANKS:

You’d be better off driving thru Hendersonville...beautiful country and small town appeal.

I do photography of the surrounding area as well!

Kyle Quattromani Photoworks

— William Blake

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Last there a decade ago and there were small leftist protests downtown.
No special occasion, they just seemed to be a regular occurrence and most people paid little attention. Back then it was relatively clean but headed in the wrong direction.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that Asheville had faded so badly. It was just one of those places that there was not a good way to get there from where I live.

Posts: 798 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear ... Never been there but was on my list

MDS

Posts: 394 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
I grew up not far from there. For many years we would go to Asheville for either Christmas or New Years, stay right downtown so we could walk to eat or shop. We stopped going a few years ago. Last time was not a pleasant experience. Addicts peeing by the hotel door is not my idea of Christmas cheer.

Posts: 752 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
My former next door neighbor retired there. I haven't heard from him in a while. If I do, I'll have to ask him how it's going.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
We visited in early December for a week and we were a bit surprised by the large homeless population. The downtown area was definitely interesting

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Asheville is the San Francisco of the East.

Started when the New Yorkers moved to Florida and wanted "summer homes" because Florida was too hot. It's been going downhill for about 40 years.

Posts: 233 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In 1972 I toured the Biltmore House in Asheville. It was a different time, for sure.

Pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...ms/72157637747670794

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Its definitely progressively getting worse. Pun intended. We still enjoy visiting Asheville but stick to staying outside of downtown. We love visit Biltmore, the local breweries, excellent local restaurants like White Duck Taco and the Blueridge Parkway.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
East Boulder

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
My little brother lived in North Carolina (before his death) and he always told me that the Raleigh, Durham, Cary area was about as liberal as they come. Sorry to hear that it seems to have spread.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post