SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Those who have their own domain name, who do you use to host your email?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Those who have their own domain name, who do you use to host your email? Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I have since moved my domain registrations, DNS and email to OpenSRS. For my low volume of email, it runs <$2/month at OpenSRS. It is based on usage.

Do they deal with consumers? They appear to be a wholesale operation.

That is their main thrust, but just create an account. There is a one time charge, not sure what it is now. It gives you the ability to resell domain name registrations, but you are under no obligation to do so. The account comes with DNS and Email, which you can also provide for your customers, if you go that route.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Network Solutions for registrar and DNS.
Gmail for mail.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2366 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
I've been doing this for a while and use Network Solutions as registrar (our ISP for DNS) and Gmail for small business.

You'll have to add an MX record to your Zone file as well as SPF pointers to resolve the e-mail address adequately to a 3rd party solution.

Many mail servers will require a reverse lookup to confirm the validity of an address before passing the mail to the recipient.

Not terribly fond of Go-Daddy and have been using Network Solutions since they were Inter Nic.

If you have a bulk of Domains Network Solutions will cut you a deal, mine are $17.99 Smile

Though we have several hundred domains parked for campaigns and future use.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7180 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I used GoDaddy for everything because it's easy and I'm ignorant. It may not be the best option for those willing to put the work in.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Not sure what the cost is for hosting/domain name fee renewals etc with where you are, compared to moving your domain registrar/hosting elsewhere. But I believe for your case a "all in one" place would be best.

I hooked up with Dreamhost back when they started and got a lifetime of free hosting with unlimited number oh hosted domains/sub-domains, unlimited email accounts, MySQL databases and users. At a very low price.

They had the normal and expected hiccups in the beginning, but have become most stable and reliable.

Prior, I dealt with Inter Nic (now Network Solutions) and a couple others that have gone away or been BORG'd.

I use GoDaddy for SSL certs, as I have multiple domains under single certs for business.

So, you might look around and see if there is a better place. Some offer easy to set up (one click installs) of things like websites, Wordpress, photo hosting, store front, shopping carts and such.

Even if you set up your email where you are, it won't be any problem moving, you just need to archive off the server any mail (if you leave it up on the server) when you move your services.

As others have stated GoDaddy makes things fairly easy, and have pretty good support if you need it, but they call and email a lot trying to sell services.

And most hosting services that provide all these can be used without "transfering" you domain name away from namecheap. As stated, you just point the DNS for the domain(s) to the hosting site you use.

If you do want to move the names, do that at renewal time, as typically you can pay the renewal at the gaining registrar/hosting company for the cost of the renewal fee, and often they offer discounts of which you can take advantage.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43925 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
As others have stated GoDaddy makes things fairly easy, and have pretty good support if you need it, but they call and email a lot trying to sell services.

Despite its other failings, I will say that GoDaddy has excellent phone support. You get to talk to a real live American person located in the Phoenix area, and the first line of support has quick access to the upper tiers.

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

Despite its other failings, I will say that GoDaddy has excellent phone support. You get to talk to a real live American person located in the Phoenix area, and the first line of support has quick access to the upper tiers.

This ^^^^^

I use them only for a registrar, however. I did briefly try their calendar services, so I could dump Google's (this was when I was still on Android), but it had too many missing bits at the time.

I would not use Namecheap for a registrar.

As for email, etc.: I host my own, on my own hardware, sitting right there at the end of my business class Internet connection. If I wasn't going to do that, I'd use a virtual server from the likes of Digital Ocean.

But I'm an ex-server and network admin Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post