SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How bad is chemotherapy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How bad is chemotherapy? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My wife took both chemo and radiation following surgery for endometrial cancer. The first year of treatments really had bad effects with the radiation weakening her left pelvic girdle and really effected mobility. Thought all had passed till it metastasized a year later and the chemo really impacted quality of life including blisters on her feet and hands. We had to go on hospice and this at least improved her quality of life until she passed. I have CLL B cell type which I attribute to agent orange from Nam. I had 5 rounds of a couple of chemo types over a 5 month period and other than being hyper or tired, no really adverse effects. So, from my experiences, chemo, depending on what the poison of the day is, effects all differently. Yes neuropathy and less energy, but I finished the chemo in 2018 and I turn 79 in June. Bottom line, keep a positive mind set, eat the best you can and remember that God's got this.

Posts: 1201 | Location: NC | Registered: February 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My father had a mass removed from his left lung and part of his lung removed also. This was in March of this year. They thought they got it all but it came back.
He started chemotherapy last month at the age of 79 and it's wearing him down badly. He doesn't look good and doesn't do much anymore.
They didn't want to do chemo at his age but he wanted it.
I had an Aunt go through it years ago and the cancer has been in remission since then.
Varies person to person I would say and many variables are involved.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Been through both chemo and radiation, One thing I wish I would have done is the exercises in the literature they handed me that I did not read until much later. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions from those who know.

Posts: 2402 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
My wife just finished her 12th and final treatment for colon cancer. She used these slip on cold packs for her hands and feet to lessen the effects from neuropathy.
She lost probably 75% of her hair, has some brain fog and fatigue. She did have some nausea but never threw up, she did have meds on standby if the nausea got to bad.
She had to get a couple of iron infusions after the second one of those she had a reaction to it and passed out in the elevator, I never have been that scared or panicked in my life, I thought she had died right there.

Anyway, I guess there are a lot of stories out there and different experiences. Like some have said it mostly depends on what kind, how much and for how long.
My wife is an oncologist RN, if there is any thing she can help with let me know and I'll pass it along, if she doesn't know it she can't likely find the answer.

Posts: 1843 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Three years ago I have been through the surgery, radiation and chemo ... with a chemo every six months for life.

My last one was just about a week ago, and got to say I have been a cranky bitch ... and owe an apology to SIGnified, P220 Smudge and 911Boss if I have come across as an asshole, especially since it is on top of other serious family medical stuff.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
You okay, stickman?

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I would like to thank you all for providing some insight on how this terrible illness has impacted you and your loved ones. I had truly no idea so many of our members or one of their loved ones had been through chemotherapy. Thank you again for your input and collective wisdom.

VThoky, yes I am fine. I guess I’m fine. My mother was recently diagnosed with breast cancer so I am trying to do all I can to understand the best way she can fight it and what she can expect when she undergoes chemotherapy next week. I will say I married the right woman. My wife damn near demanded she move in with us so we could make sure she was getting the absolute best care around the clock. Smile

I have to say I am truly inspired by her unshakable positivity. When you get news like that it’s easy to be negative or feel down in the dumps or react negatively out of fear. She didn’t do that for even a moment. She is an incredible woman and she will beat this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I have to say I am truly inspired by her unshakable positivity. When you get news like that it’s easy to be negative or feel down in the dumps or react negatively out of fear. She didn’t do that for even a moment. She is an incredible woman and she will beat this.

This ... ! Having a positive warrior spirit helps wonders. Yes, I have a few down days following my 6-month chemo ... but my oncologist is so please with how well I am doing despite my advanced cancer diagnosis. He says I am one of the very rare ones who is on the road to remission.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Well, I’ll let you know soon.

I’m waiting for my insurance to approve chemo.

Back in November, I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, thymic carcinoma. Tried immunotherapy, however it didn’t work as expected.

I ended up with fluid in my left lung and around my heart. Spent 10 days in the cardiac care unit of my local hospital after an operation to drain the fluid from around my heart and drain fluid from my lung. I think they said about 3 liters of fluid were drained from my lung.

So, my oncologist is switching gears to chemo. Not looking forward to it, but it’s better than dying.

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3439 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Around 13 years ago I was undergoing Radiation treatments for Cancer of the left vocal cord brought on by Acid Reflux Disease.

Anyway, a couple of weeks into treatment, I was sitting waiting for my next treatment to begin and 3 guys walked into the waiting room. All 3 looked like they were at death's door.

I got talking to them and turns out they had just left chemo and were in for radiation.

I never felt sorry for myself for how I felt after radiation treatments again.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
She is an incredible woman and she will beat this.

That's the spirit!!

God bless America.

Posts: 13525 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
My brother is getting ready to start what they say is the strongest chemo, for lung cancer. It’s supposed to leave permanent heart and kidney (I’m pretty sure he said kidney) damage. It will destroy his immune system and it’s supposed to take up to 4 months to recover from. I hope yours is not the same, it’s not going to be an easy road for my brother but he has few options since he’s got a rare cancer. BTW, he’s never smoked, has been teaching martial arts since he was a teen and still got lung cancer.

May the Lord help you through yours.

my Brother in law has a rare and aggressive for of multiple mylonoma (I know I spelled that wrong)

he did a round or radiation at UVA, then went to Duke for more and started chemo

first 2 cocktails did little , and the 3rd did ok,

lost hair, weak, no energy, got the shits often, and just general felt like crap,
he has a mild case of of chemo brain, but was able to preach at his church (he is a deacon, and did it via Zoom or Facebook)
they are currently finishing up another cocktail and hope to do stem cell something, and maybe bone marrow, but were told that pretty much eliminates his immune system, meaning he will have to start over just like a kid, to get immunized for everything,

sad part is, if all this works, the avg is 4 yrs in remission and then it comes back with a vengance

I am sure, that if this last cocktail did not work, he would have thrown in the towel

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
My father was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given the "6 months to live", he aggressively fought it and lived 4 1/2 years. He did many rounds of chemo until his body couldn't handle it anymore. I think it was pretty targeted but it still had the hair loss and stomach problems. I don't recall any serious issues with the chemo and he wasn't a pinnacle of health. The oncologist switched to various trial therapies afterwards, some worked better than others but he got alot of mileage out of them and was able to meet all of his grandchildren as they were born during his cancer. His hair grew back, he eventually died from his body failing him, it got into his stomach and it was more of not wanting to eat. His mind was sharp as a tack until the day he died.

Posts: 2528 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
My father was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer and given the "6 months to live", he aggressively fought it and lived 4 1/2 years. He did many rounds of chemo until his body couldn't handle it anymore. I think it was pretty targeted but it still had the hair loss and stomach problems. I don't recall any serious issues with the chemo and he wasn't a pinnacle of health. The oncologist switched to various trial therapies afterwards, some worked better than others but he got alot of mileage out of them and was able to meet all of his grandchildren as they were born during his cancer. His hair grew back, he eventually died from his body failing him, it got into his stomach and it was more of not wanting to eat. His mind was sharp as a tack until the day he died.

a friend and customer had Pancreatic
when I met him, he had recovered, and was on the 6 month checkup program

fast foward 5 yrs and he had a spot show up,, and started treatments again,

he biggest complaint was the cocktail made his hands and feet numb, permanently, he had trouble walking and picking up stuff due to it,

and fatique,

however he was not successful the last time and he passed 6 month after I saw him

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10436 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post