SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So lots of gun shop smash and grabs..........
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So lots of gun shop smash and grabs.......... Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
So over the last several months there have been a lot of gunstore smash and grabs. Way more then I have seen in the past. Hell in just this area a great many local shops have been hit. I have a weird feeling this is bigger then just your average tard looking for a fo-tay.

Just seems odd at the frequency.

Maybe the shitstorm that is the modern (antifakkkblm13percentetc etc ) is getting the best of me.

At any rate. Stay safe/alert.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7864 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Are these pretty much all in the south east?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
This is from last month in my area.
http://fox17online.com/2017/09...n-into-over-weekend/
Three stores hit and only the newest one Roll Eyes lost guns. I would expect they would have had the latest in theft prevention.

They have video but I've not seen any release.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
This is from last month in my area.
http://fox17online.com/2017/09...n-into-over-weekend/
Three stores hit and only the newest one Roll Eyes lost guns. I would expect they would have had the latest in theft prevention.

They have video but I've not seen any release.

All the gun stores around here put all their guns in safes at night. Then about 6 years ago a couple from Virginia bought one of the local shops. They installed better doors and windows, new alarm, and security cameras. They told me the ATF checked and approved the premisis as a part of the FFL approval process. I don't believe they are gun people or ever owned a retail store before. They left guns on the walls and in the counter display cases at night. About a year later, thieves cut a hole in the roof of the store next to the gun store, part of the same strip mall, and then through the wall. The store next door didn't have an alarm, camera system, fancy door locks, etc. I believe they got around 70 gums.

The shop has since been moved to a stand alone building.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We've had a good number of these in the Denver area.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Just had one recently here

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
In 2016, we had several in the Houston area as well. The most memorable was in this video:

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Txb31Z2kRbA

As the video said, the ATF nabbed 2 of the robbers. In May, the 2 turds were sentenced to 46 months and 57 months, and both got 3 years probation after release.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The gun store in my city gets hit regularly. They busted a wall out, they went in through the roof by moving the a/c and using a garden hose to climb down, they ran a stolen pickup through the front, etc.

The owner finally put up car blockers around the whole building and they started locking all the guns up at night. It hasn't been hit since.

Earlier this month, two cities over, an elderly couple who kept guns in their house got hit. One of the perps told them it's too hard to get them from gun stores now and they should thank a family member for telling them they have all the guns in the house. I think they got about 70 guns.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8153 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Most of the gun shops I frequent either have very impressive security or secure their weapons in safes at night.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Any unguarded shop that does not secure their weapons in a floor bolted safe or heavily secured room (essentially a safe in and of itself) is owned by fools. I know of no shop that has been even broken into that follows this practice.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
We recently have had multiple gun store break-ins in the Central Texas area. None of the stores hit had what I consider adequate measures in place, and were essentially "storing guns behind glass." The stores that are serious about securing their stock don't seem to get targeted at all.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 608 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had one locally maybe 15 years back. A couple of druggies used an old Caddy to pull the grill off the front of the store. They were caught when the cop got suspicious of a hoopty dragging the grill down the road. One guy tried to break into Bud's, but didn't make it thru the first door.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of our local gun stores was burgled twice within 2 months this summer (mid-June and mid-August). They're a brand new store, and they're located in one of those cheap prefab metal buildings.

The first burglar tore off part of the sheet metal wall out back, then busted through the interior insulation/drywall. He stole around 30 guns.

The second group of burglars simply smashed a window on the front and climbed in. They stole around 20 guns.

In both instances, the stolen guns were just sitting out in racks and glass cases. The store does have safes, but they were either already full or the employees were just too lazy to pack all the guns up at night.

Luckily, in both cases, the criminals were caught relatively quickly, and the guns recovered. But c'mon... Leaving dozens of guns sitting out in a prefab metal building (basically a large shed) with large unreinforced windows is just dumb. Especially if you've already been burgled recently.

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The gun store in my city gets hit regularly. They busted a wall out, they went in through the roof by moving the a/c and using a garden hose to climb down, they ran a stolen pickup through the front, etc.

Kinda makes you wonder if it's worth it to stay in business for some of them....

The margins must be pretty thin, with the availability you can fine online at low prices.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At least it was a burglary, not a robbery with the employee(s) present. I've told the story before of the little one-man gun shop. One day somebody robbed the place, took him in the back room, knocked him over the head and left him tied up. He was lucky not to have been killed. He never came back; the place closed down and another tenant eventually moved in.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really don't want to try to rob a gunstore in this town.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
Had one here robbed just a little over a year ago. Thieves used a stolen minivan to drive through the front door at 3AM. Whole thing took around 1 minute to take 43 firearms. And this shop isn't in the middle of nowhere - it's on the main street less than a mile from downtown and the police station.

Smash n grab

NC teens charged in Simpsonville gun store robbery

SIMPSONVILLE, S.C. (WSPA) — Two Charlotte teens have been charged for their roles in a smash-and-grab at an Upstate gun store.

Sahier Lavon Richardson and Juran Maghi Witherspoon, both 18, were indicted Thursday for their roles in the break-in and theft of firearms from the Gun Shop in Simpsonville, according to the office of U.S. Attorney Beth Drake.

A federal grand jury indicted the teens for stealing firearms from the store on October 13, 2016.

Richardson and Witherspoon have been in jail without bond since their arrest on federal warrants in early November for the offense.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) with the assistance of the Simpsonville Police Department, Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department and the Lincoln County (North Carolina) Sheriff’s Department investigated the incident.

The case has been assigned to Assistant United States Attorney Lance Crick of the Greenville office for prosecution.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know of a couple other shops in the KC metro that have been hit, one got hit three times within a year or so. Thankfully I don't worry about it too much as the exterior walls for our place are 18" steel reinforced concrete, and theres only one direction you have any distance to build up speed among other things that make us unappealing to anybody but the insane.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Had one here in Columbus (Gun Envy) broken into last week. Several weapons taken. In and out in @ five minutes

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7920 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Several in the DFW area have been hit over the past year. The ATF sent a letter of concern to us dealers a while back. Told us to make sure cameras, windows and roofs were secure. I think somethings up, at least a coordinated group.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7065 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post