SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are all the free image hosting sites dead?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are all the free image hosting sites dead? Login/Join 
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted
I used to use TinyPic to drop photos or images to, in order to add an image to any of my posts.

Is it that I basically just need to pony up for an Image site now? Is there one that's better than the others? I don't foresee myself using a ton of storage, just a gif or picture here and there. I can't imagine linking an occasional image to show you knuckleheads would be THAT much bandwidth...

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Imgur is NOT dead --> https://imgur.com/

Free & easy to use. You can resize images on upload and edit them once they're there. Lot's of copy/paste linking options for the original image, as well as multiple thumbnail sizes. I've been using it since 2012

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8946 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Postimage (https://postimages.org/) is still working.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Imgur is what I've been using,

Posts: 23556 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
Is it that I basically just need to pony up for an Image site now?

It used to be that income from pop-up and in-page ads could cover the server and bandwidth costs of free image hosting sites. That is no longer the case, due to the lessened revenue from ads combined with the huge increase in storage and bandwidth required by the more numerous and larger images being hosted these days.

Therefore, many of the free image hosts have closed down or switched to pay-only. The few free ones that remain are on borrowed time. It simply isn't a sustainable business model.

So you could move all your photos to a different free host, but then you'll just have to move again when that one closes down in the near future, then move again when the next one closes down, ad nauseum, until there are no free hosts left at all.

Or you can pick one of the inexpensive image hosts, pay a few bucks per month, and stay in one place. Personally, I use Imageshack, for which I believe I pay $18/year. Very reasonable.

Just make sure it's an actual photo host, not just photo storage. For example, if you're an Amazon Prime member they offer free image storage, but they are not set up for hotlinking to post/embed images to forums. Those are just for storage, like your computer's hard drive.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32546 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I use postimage as well.

Posts: 3447 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Imgur, works fine for me.

Posts: 935 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Or, if you're technically inclined and it's worth it to you: Rent a virtual server from the likes of Digital Ocean, set up a minimal web server, and host your own photos.

That's what I do, though on the server at the end of our Comcast Business Internet connection.

A Basic DO droplet with 25GB of storage and 1TB of monthly transfer is $6/mo.

You'll also need to choose and register a domain name. That's a whoppin' $8/year at Epik (recommended).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
I used to use TinyPic to drop photos or images to, in order to add an image to any of my posts.

Is it that I basically just need to pony up for an Image site now? Is there one that's better than the others? I don't foresee myself using a ton of storage, just a gif or picture here and there. I can't imagine linking an occasional image to show you knuckleheads would be THAT much bandwidth...
Send me an email.

Free things tend to go defunct. My opinion is that they should not be relied upon.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Or, if you're technically inclined and it's worth it to you: Rent a virtual server from the likes of Digital Ocean, set up a minimal web server, and host your own photos.

That's what I do, though on the server at the end of our Comcast Business Internet connection.

A Basic DO droplet with 25GB of storage and 1TB of monthly transfer is $6/mo.

You'll also need to choose and register a domain name. That's a whoppin' $8/year at Epik (recommended).
This is a perfect idea. If you don't want to spin up your own server, you can sign up for a shared host and get email service included. Here's a referral for Inmotion Hosting.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
imageshack.com is WELL WORTH the $20/ year

Posts: 175 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I use postimage for pictures on the forum.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3492 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
imgbb is still free and ez enough for me to figure out.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I've used ImageEvent (paid host) for 20 years or so.

"Upload Limits (per transfer)

Number of images: No Limits!
Total transfer size: No Limits!
Individual file size: 5 MB. 50MB for premium members. 500MB with large file support.

Supported Formats*
Image: JPEG/JPE/JPG, GIF, PNG, TIF/TIFF, HEIC/HEIF, WEBP, ART, AVS, BMP, CGM, DCM, DCX, DIB, DPX, FAX, FIG, GPLT, ICO, JNG, MAT, MONO, MTV, OTB, P7, PALM, PCD, PCDS, PCL, PCX, PGM, PICON, PICT, PIX, PNM, PSD, PWP, RLA, RLE, SCT, SFW, SGI, TGA, WBMP, WPG, XBM
RAW: Canon (CRW, CR2), Nikon (NEF), Minolta (MRW), Olympus (ORF), FujiFilm (RAF), Sony (ARW, SRF), Pentax (PEF), Leica (RAW, DNG), Digital Negative (DNG), Other RAW file formats
Video: Microsoft Media (AVI, WMV, WM, ASF), Real Video (RM, RAM), Apple QuickTime (MOV, QT), MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG-4 (MPG, MPEG, MPE, M1V, MP1, MPEG2, M2V, MP2, MPEG4, M4V), 3GP (3GPP, 3GP, 3GPP2, 3G2), DivX (DVX, DIV, DIVX), AVCHD (MTS, M2TS, M2T), Matroska (MKV), Other (MOD, TOD)
Office: Word (DOC, DOCX, DOT), Excel (XLS, XLSX, XLT), PowerPoint / PowerPoint SlideShows (PPT, PPTX, PPS, PPSX, POT), Rich Text Format (RTF), Open Office Format (ODT, ODS, ODP), Lotus Spreadsheet (123, WK1, WK2), Novell WordPerfect (WP, WPD)
Other: HTML, Macromedia Flash (SWF), Portable Document Format (PDF), Adobe Photoshop (PSD)
Please Note: Turn off your Pop-Up Blocker. It is also best to close all your programs before you start the upload.

* ImageEvent allows uploading of both standard and non-standard images. Standard images are the best in web sharing-- standard image formats are JPEG, GIF, PNG. If you are uploading a non-standard format, your uploaded image is downloadable in it's original format-- only the generated sizes (thumbnail, small, medium, large, xlarge) are in JPEG format. A non-standard image counts as one image.

Only Premium members may upload Videos, RAW files and Office formats. For video, videos are encoded to streaming files (H.264 MPEG4) in multiple bitrates which include HD. Using bandwidth detection, the highest bitrate file is selected. For Office Formats, the registered application must be installed or may be viewed as PDF using Adobe Acrobat Reader. For Other Formats, Adobe Acrobat Reader must be installed to view PDF. Macromedia Flash Player must be installed to view flash (SWF), and Adobe Photoshop must be installed toview PSD. Each video counts as 1 image. "

Posts: 21118 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Honestly...I LOVE using facebook's bandwidth.

I have an account setup just for image hosting. You upload pictures to your personal feed/page, make the permissions "for me only" (which does nothing except keep any "friends" you might have, assuming you're using an account with friends). Open the photo on your page, right click and grab the address.

Let ole Zuckerfuck foot the bill for your image hosting. Images not posted to facebook for others to see don't typically get looked at by their gestapo enforcers.

Just an idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Imgur is NOT dead --> https://imgur.com/

Free & easy to use. You can resize images on upload and edit them once they're there. Lot's of copy/paste linking options for the original image, as well as multiple thumbnail sizes. I've been using it since 2012

I 2nd this!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7081 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
<snip>
Or you can pick one of the inexpensive image hosts, pay a few bucks per month, and stay in one place. Personally, I use Imageshack, for which I believe I pay $18/year. Very reasonable.
<snip>

For the record… I’ve had ImageShack for years. Last January it was indeed $18/year when I renewed. This January (yesterday, in fact) it was $19/year. Still very reasonable. It supports avatars, and provides a mechanism to post a reduced-size image that nicely fits a forum page without the bother of uploading It.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8995 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've used ImageShack and Imgur, but since I am a subscriber to Flickr I just use it for my own photos.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
Honestly...I LOVE using facebook's bandwidth.

Let ole Zuckerfuck foot the bill for your image hosting.
Just an idea.

That's the spirit! The more we can bother our enemies in whatever form the better, and using their own stuff to do it is the sweetest.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Free things tend to go defunct.

I used Snapfish for years then one day the photos that were posted there couldn’t be linked to and shown on other sites like the forum. I now use ImageShack and its yearly fee seems trivial.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post