SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When getting zapped by static electricity is more than just zap.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When getting zapped by static electricity is more than just zap. Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I don't know if any of the other 17 replies mention this, but I don't think this was static.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
I don't know if any of the other 17 replies mention this, but I don't think this was static.

To echo others...

Shouldn't be any electricity flowing through a chain in any situation. The problems in the fan/fan wires, most likely being on the treadmill and sweaty allowed the current to ground through you and the treadmill to the house wiring.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I was outside barefoot after a thunderstorm rolled through. Cranking the generator as teen. Lightening hit the old original power pole just behind the basement probably 20 feet away from me. Being that the generator was plugged in. I guess me holding the generator frame made me the closest or deepest ground.

Bolt held me to the generator frame for what felt like a eternity but was probably a fraction of a second. Couldn't let go even through my hand was opening and closing super fast.

Went back upstairs and felt really hot & sleepy. Took a nap. My mom yelled at me for days. "You got hit by lightening and took a nap?!?!" Big Grin

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8856 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Combo ceiling fan and home defibrillator Eek

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A couple years ago I was changing out a light switch and thought I had the circuit completely off.

I'm in there pulling wires out and grab one and it feels...tingly... Eek

I quickly realized that this switch was controlling lights on TWO different circuits and I had only shut one of them off at the breaker. Holy shit

I mentioned this to an electrician at work and told him I was standing on a hardwood floor and did not touch any other wire at the same time, he told me that may have very well saved my life.

OP: electricity is nothing to fool around with and "get to eventually". I'd immediately UNPLUG and STOP using that treadmill and avoid touching that fan until a professional figures out what is going on here.

Posts: 33845 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Wondering How old is the fan and how old is the house?

When the fan is installed, unless the fan / house is VERY old, there is supposed to be a green or bare ground wire in the electrical box that the fan is installed in. This wire should be connected to the exposed metal (including pull chain) and would take on the current so your body doesn't have to. that's the first problem.

The second problem, if ground is not connected, is something may have degraded over time such that "hot" ended up on the chassis. Fans are known to vibrate themselves into problems over a decade or so -- not always, but like all other mechanical things that move (like P228 slides/frames/springs Smile ) some can eventually have problems.

So, I would keep the fan off and just not use it at all. There is some small probability it could pose a fire hazard as well as a shock hazard if the hot ended up on the chassis. Somewhat unlikely, but very possible if it ends up arcing to something else.

I was wondering about the treadmill chassis being hot. Then the fan would be grounded and the hot could be coming from a faulty treadmill or a faulty outlet in which is is plugged into. I would guess the treadmil has a 3rd prong on the outlet in which it's chassis is connected to, but failures can occur there too. (outlet itself, treadmill cord, treadmill itself). So, your body was touching the treadmill if I understand correctly??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10930 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That doesn’t sound like static. I hope I am the first to say this. Razz

That said I used work where I had to frequently unbox large steel rolling type tool boxes. These are packed in styrofoam and I can say on more then one occasion pulling them out of the box and touching the steel would cause a severe enough static discharge that there would be a small blue flash and my fingers / hand / forearm would go numb and hurt like a sonofabitch.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was wondering about the treadmill chassis being hot. Then the fan would be grounded and the hot could be coming from a faulty treadmill or a faulty outlet in which is is plugged into.

A fairly astute deduction.....

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I think I saw this in a horror movie...

Maybe we are living in a simulation.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I think I saw this in a horror movie...

Maybe we are living in a simulation.

Yup, and the stars are really holes in the lid of the container we are in.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I still think it's the fan.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm more concerned about your pace and form on the treadmill. Target pace? Distance? Incline? Wink I've got a marathon Saturday and I'm a bit amped up.

Any chance your treadmill and ceiling fan are on the same circuit?

I touched 480v briefly and it was zappy.

P229

Posts: 3842 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10995 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m curious if Q now has super powers and hasn’t realized it yet…I mean, it happens in comics books, so…

Hop back on that treadmill and give it the beans!

Glad you’re ok!

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Iowa | Registered: October 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I see your problem. No fan remote. Man card suspended for 2 hours.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Q's last post was his second post to this thread. That was quite a few hours ago. Hope he's all right.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post

Q

Posts: 26443 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with others that BOTH the fan and the treadmill need to be checked. Sockets, units, ALL. Both polarity and ground - the ground needs to be checked that it has a sufficient grounding rod.

You don't want it to happen again.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m in the electrified camp as well. When we were kids, we discovered our next door neighbors had something similar. If you touched both the refrigerator and dishwasher handles simultaneously, you would get a jolt of current.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
The entire group agrees and not one person blamed it on Biden!

I am SHOCKED!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6337 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post