SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unconventional Olympic pistol shooter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unconventional Olympic pistol shooter Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The one hand in the pocket* or hooked over a belt is a practice that goes back as far as I’m aware of about formalized handgun bull’s eye shooting. The idea is that the shooter wants to keep the off hand completely immobile to avoid any sympathetic movement of the rest of the body.

* That was the only way I ever remember seeing it long ago.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nosticks:
The way he shoots one hand in his pocket is exactly how I shoot today. I started indoor target shooting nearly 60 years ago. This two handed "movie stance" never appealed to me.

It's not a 'movie stance'. A proper 2 handed grip with an isosceles stance is the modern standard for proper fast and accurate shooting. Outside of disciplines like free pistol that mandate a one-handed grip.

Posts: 14156 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
^^^ Dan, that part was photoshopped if you didn't see the previous photo.

Dag gummit, I stand corrected, and just a little bit disappointed.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4999 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
His empty hand needs to be holding a beer to go with the cig.

Posts: 18139 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Here is my Hammerli I have shot for years. Can't compete with it's tanks over 10 years old.
I don't have pictures of my Steyr LP10 that is much newer

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6401 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy

It's not a 'movie stance'. A proper 2 handed grip with an isosceles stance is the modern standard for proper fast and accurate shooting. Outside of disciplines like free pistol that mandate a one-handed grip.

Probably, but it's called handgun, not handsgun.

Posts: 3786 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Good one, OTD!

And that Hammerli in Hamden’s post is awesome.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
Looks like he Foam Ear plugs in, which is probably all that is needed.

Yup

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post