SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Always carry at least one spare mag.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Always carry at least one spare mag. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Fuck it, I'm going back to a 2 shot Derringer! Wink

A few things-
I've been around the aftermath of more than a few armed robberies. Sometimes its one bad guy, sometimes it's more.

There's a few Commandments of Gunfighting:
Bring a gun
Make sure it's loaded
Make sure it's enough gun
Just because they got hit doesn't mean you won, and doesn't mean they're out of the fight.
Just because YOU GOT HIT doesn't mean you're out of the fight, or that they won.
Do whatever you can to turn it into a Shooting instead of a Gunfight!

That being said, most of us here don't have the luxury of having a Marine Rifle Platoon or a SEAL Team backing us up when we go out.

The times, they are a changin'! I'm seeing more and more violence. And not just in the places where you expect it, like the inner city- Oakland for example. Bad guys are migrating out to the neighborhoods where people HAVE more stuff, make shitty witnesses and easier targets. I'm seeing shootings, robberies, carjackings with multiple offenders.

Take that information and do what you want with it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
It amazes me that so many people just carry what’s in the gun

Why? You don't know what other people's situation. They do whatever that applies to them.

Say, you carry an extra mag, get into a gun fight and run out of bullet. The next guy is going say, "It amazes me that so many people carry only one extra mag". See how that works?

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Curious that a 25+ retired police captain is now in the cannabis biz.

You'd be amazed at how many retired cops and others that are now in the (legal) Cannabis Business now!
There's a lot of $$$ in that business!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Retired Oakland police captain robbed by four persons

'Shot placement is key.' --- Miyamoto Musashi

Posts: 15845 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
If he didn't live under California's 10 round restrictions, one mag might have been plenty. Who knows if he would have had time to reload if he did have another magazine anyway.
This is an extremely rare circumstance so drawing conclusions on needs based on this event means little.
The truth is that if you have any gun at all on your person, ready to go when you need it, puts you ahead of at least 90% of the others out there. Doing that and being aware enough of your surroundings puts you ahead of probably 98%.

Thanks to Saint Benitez, the rule with respect to normal capacity magazines is if you got ‘em smoke em. If I remember correctly, at least the original “hi cap ban” didn’t apply to LEOs (like many CA gun laws). One would assume that a cop planning on retiring would have stocked up on normal capacity mags while it was legal to do so.

ETA: Everyone’s situation is different. I am self employed and don’t really give a rat’s rump what what folks think of my “fashion choices”. Wearing jeans, an A-shirt (wife beater) tucked in, then a T-shirt and a “camp shirt” both untucked, it it trivial to carry a P228 on one side and a flashlight and spare mag on the other. I actually have gone tuckable with both the pistol and the stair mag when I thought I needed a coat and tie, but I didn’t care for it much. Unlikely to ever need the pistol, much less the spare mag, but I feel naked without it. I look at it kind like extra fuel in an airplane - The only time you can have too much is when you’re on fire. Better to have it and not need it…

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I have always preached that if you carry a semi-auto, you must carry a spare magazine, not so much because you need the extra ammo but that the magazine is a major part of the semi-auto and is dropped and abused like no other gun part.I always insisted that students drop there expensive mags to the ground when empty, no releasing the mag to your hand and then reloading. When the mag is empty its like holding a turd in your hand, get rid of it.
The look on shooters faces when told to disassemble there magazines and to clean them, was priceless.Most don't know the magazine comes apart or ever needs to be cleaned.They have a look on there face like I told them to perform brain surgery on there mother.
Being in Chicago I re-appraised my carry gun last spring.I used to carry a Kahr CM45 but stopped because of the low round count.
I went to carry my CZ SPO1 Shadow with a 19rnd capacity plus an extra mag. Again, not for the extra 19rnds, but to have a magazine available to replace a defective mag or to clear a malfunction.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Of course.

It's like driving with no spare tire.

When it matters, it matters very much.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It amazes me how many people walk around with no weapon.

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yeah this is more than “carry an extra magazine”.

He is defacto in the dope business. Probably should have planned a little better given that fact.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Carry a good gun that you can shoot well, in as big a caliber and size as you can. As well as a spare mag, a knife, preferably a fixed blade on the support hand side, and a light.

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
It amazes me how many people walk around with no weapon.

CA has carve outs for honorably retired LEO. In alameda county CA and most of the Bay Area, Jesus Christ himself couldn’t get a CCW unless he was Facebook or Google executive security and there is a generous sheriff campaign donation made.

Glad I’m in a free-er state now. Constitutional carry would be ideal. But at least here it’s a state issued must issue CCW as long as your not a felon or other prohibited person and not at the whim of the local sheriff, of which most of the urban CA sheriffs are extremely anti ccw. No good cause statements, psych exams and year long waits.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the main weed shops up here has a home delivery business. Which deals in strictly cash. They were hiring drivers and the $$$ was good. Several friends encouraged me to apply. I declined, citing the fact that I do not own anything belt fed right now.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
One of the main weed shops up here has a home delivery business. Which deals in strictly cash. They were hiring drivers and the $$$ was good. Several friends encouraged me to apply. I declined, citing the fact that I do not own anything belt fed right now.

When did federal law change making such deliveries legal? Oh, that's right, it's still against federal law. Silly me.

Sorry for the drift, but since the Oakland ex-cop is, as Jones put it, a defacto dope dealer, it's not too far of a thread drift.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

When did federal law change making such deliveries legal? Oh, that's right, it's still against federal law. Silly me.

Sorry for the drift, but since the Oakland ex-cop is, as Jones put it, a defacto dope dealer, it's not too far of a thread drift.

Under the federal guidelines, he is. So are a lot more people.
However, under the state guidelines, he's not.
I doubt the DEA is going after him.

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The only time you can have too much ammo is if you are underwater or on fire.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
The only time you can have too much ammo is if you are underwater or on fire.

Big Grin

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post