SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Espresso/latte machine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Espresso/latte machine? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
My wife likes drinking lattes. Unlike my drip coffee (yes from my Moccamaster) the lattes don't give her a headache.

I saw a review that listed the Calphalon Amazon link as a good choice.

Does anyone have one of these. Or advice on what to look for/problems etc.?

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Not really the same thing, but I sure like my Nespresso, which might be more versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/Nespres...d0-5ec63b24bcb5&th=1

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
All sorts of options here:

Seattle Coffee Gear

I’ve accepted I have to spend more than $150, but less than $2K. Haven’t settled on the sweet spot….

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a Nespresso

I really like it.

The coffee is about $1.25 a cup.

The problem is that we go through about 4 to 6 cups a day.

No mess or clean up and really good coffee.

They sell directly and via Amazon.

Depending on what you buy it may arrive faster from Amazon. They often give free stuff if you buy directly.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a Nespresso, but the pod one.

https://www.nespresso.com/us/e...-vertuoline-titanium

I really like it.

The coffee is about $1.25 a cup.

The problem is that we go through about 4 to 6 cups a day.

No mess or clean up and really good coffee.

They sell directly and via Amazon.

Depending on what you buy it may arrive faster from Amazon. They often give free stuff if you buy directly.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Stan,
That unit you linked is a 15 bar pump job. They are inferior to boiler and heat exchanger espresso machines in what they are capable of producing. Nespresso units don't produce quality espresso shots either for espresso based drinks like the lattes you seek for your wife.
Sadly a decent prosumer espresso machine and grinder will be quite expensive but many note, depending on consumption rates, how quickly the cost hits the break even point from all those barista made (Starbucks, etc.) espresso drinks that they would otherwise had been buying.

Our old setup:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
Please note it’s really lattes we’re looking for so I should have specified that.
Need to be able to get the hot frothy milk too.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
We have this one off Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLongh...g%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-4

The wife uses it once or twice daily, mostly for iced mochas or lattes. No complaints so far.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Very similar to my Dedica I've had since 2018. About 2 descalings per year. Just a little more than your link. Good coffee and grinder help.

Delonghi Dedica 15 Bar Espresso... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079...ppx_pop_mob_ap_share.

Besides my Dedica sits the Europiccola that gets fired up occasionally and when I have good beans.

La Pavoni EPC-8 Europiccola 8-Cup Lever Style Espresso Machine, Chrome,Silver https://a.co/d/2JYZJmQ

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Timely post. I've been looking hard at an Olympia Cremina. I'm preparing for winter espressos and lattes.

Always wanted a La Pavoni but now I've read too much about the Olympia for my own good.

The expense of a good grinder has me on the fence.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, friends. I do have an old Braun burr grinder I'm happy with. Will look at the Delonghi and Olympia.
Bob, my wife is quite frugal, hates me to buy expensive toys for her. Yeah, I know, right? Doesn't complain about the guns that mysteriously appear.

Edited to add:
1. The DeLonghi Stilosa is inexpensive; has a long very favorable review by a user on Amazon but gearlabs ranked it low.
2. Breville Bambino: Gearlabs rated it much higher. Anyone have experience with it?

Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
I've been using this one for more than 5 years now. Yes, it's expensive but well worth the cost in my opinion... always freshly ground, adjust the amount of bean and the amount of water to suite your taste. Built in frothier for lattes. It's like having a barrister on the counter. https://www.amazon.com/DeLongh...id=1693119434&sr=8-8

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
I’m with Bald1…. If you want good to great espresso you’ll need to have an espresso machine AND grinder that can deliver quality espresso shots.

Yes, you will get espresso using automatic machines and machines that produce less pressure and widely variable temperatures. But if you’re looking for espresso drinks that blow your mind you’ll need to part with some cash.

No, I’m not a coffee addict. I do not consider myself a coffee snob. I only have one coffee a day and I want it to be as good as it can be, every day.

When I had a prosumer machine, every espresso shot was a science experiment. What beans am I grinding, how old are they, what grind setting am I going to use, how hard to I tamp the ground beans?

Full disclosure, my machine gave up the ghost a few years ago and the machine I wanted (still want) is outside my budget right now. I make French press coffee now and wistfully think on my previous cappuccinos and lattes.

If you’re a person like me, the investment will be a daily joy.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1601 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Not really the same thing, but I sure like my Nespresso, which might be more versatile.

https://www.amazon.com/Nespres...d0-5ec63b24bcb5&th=1

We have a Nespresso machine similar to this one. It’s about ten years old and uses the original coffee pods. It makes a decent cup of latte without the work of the expensive restaurant type espresso machines. I would recommend it.

Sure, the best espresso is made with the $3,000 machines where you grind, tamp, pull the shot and get a dreamy cup of joe. But realistically, the Mrs. doesn’t have the skill to do that.

The Nespresso is pretty easy to use.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yep, I use it daily and make 3.7oz "longo" cups. I have used the cappuccino function, but not often. Easy each day to make a great cup of coffee and many flavor variations to pick from. And not just Nespresso brand.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Thanks for the info, friends. I do have an old Braun burr grinder I'm happy with.
That may or may not yield what you feel to be acceptable results. (See below.)
quote:
Edited to add:
2. Breville Bambino: Gearlabs rated it much higher. Anyone have experience with it?
I've had a Breville Bambino Plus since April of 2021.

After through research I determined it was the only one that fit within my budget, would fit in the limited counter space I had available, and would produce acceptable results (based on all the reviews I read).

It is not without its quirks and flaws, but, overall I'm satisfied with the machine.

Ok, this is going to get a bit coffee geek technical. Can't be avoided.

For real espresso you have to force X amount of water through X amount of ground coffee at X temperature in X amount of time. Period. End of story. Everything else is pretend espresso. (That's not to say people may not be completely happy with it, but, it's not espresso.)

So, your old Braun burr grinder. Unless it's a lot more grinder than I suspect it is, which is something along the lines of our Capresso Infinity burr grinder, it's not going to produce a grind acceptable for espresso. Even if it does go fine enough, it will probably create an inconsistent grind (the size of each particle) and excessive "fines" (grinder speak for "dust").

But, with the Bambino Plus all is not lost, because they include both pressurized and non-pressurized portafilter baskets with the machine, allowing you to use a drip grind to make espresso. It won't be quite proper espresso, but, it'll be pretty darn close.

(When I bought my Bambino Plus the machine came with only pressurized baskets. I wanted more. So I went out and bought a non-pressurized basket for the portafilter and a much more capable grinder [Baratza Vario].)

The Bambino Plus excels at milk drinks. It has an exceptionally capable, easy-to-use, automated steaming wand and system. Put your milk in the very nice included pitcher, put the wand in, select temperature and foaminess, hit start, wait until it's done, remove pitcher, pour. When you put the wand back down it even performs an automated self-cleaning cycle.

If you've any other questions, just ask. I'll answer what I can. And, if you buy it, reach out to me and I'll pass along cleaning supplies suggestions that will save you a buck or two.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
Full disclosure, my machine gave up the ghost a few years ago and the machine I wanted (still want) is outside my budget right now. I make French press coffee now and wistfully think on my previous cappuccinos and lattes.

We're alike here as well. Mine died after 13+ years. No one locally will sign up to fix it. I could sent it back East for refurbishment (getting close to what I originally paid for it) or buy a new machine (gasp...the prices have REALLY gone up). But at 76 and being the only one in my extended local family that loves espresso drinks, I've had a hard time justifying either.
So I've contented myself with a SCA certified drip coffee maker (Ninja CM401) that has a few specialty modes like "over ice" and a "Specialty Brew" for super-rich coffee concentrate they tout to "create delicious lattes, macchiatos, cappuccinos, and other coffeehouse-style drinks." Nowhere close to my old machine but marginally doable in a pinch. Works great for Irish Coffee. Lol

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shiftyvtec:
Timely post. I've been looking hard at an Olympia Cremina. I'm preparing for winter espressos and lattes.

Always wanted a La Pavoni but now I've read too much about the Olympia for my own good.

The expense of a good grinder has me on the fence.

I was very fortunate to find a pre-millennium 49cm basket Europiccola (with a gauge) from a gentleman in NY on ebay a few years ago. He also sent extra gaskets and o-rings. Very little use.
I bet there are other cheap gems out there since everything today is about convenience and and speed.

Pulled a shot this morning and realized I've been lazy using the Delonghi. Deciding to go with more quality vs. Quantity and convenience. Things break and wear out. I prefer to go with something that can be maintained.

Posts: 3521 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This is worse than guns. Way worse! $1500 for a used Cremina? What $2500+ for a new one???
But it's Swiss!
Just like if my wife wanted a sewing machine, I'd have to buy a Bernina.

Took the wife for her latte at local place, The French Oven Bakery which makes fabulous genuine French (5th generation) croissants and the like. Their latte is way better than Starbucks.
I had an espresso to see what it would be like. Price: $1 for 12 oz.
Verdict: not bitter, pretty smooth. Going to try a cappuccino next time.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is worse than guns.
Espresso ain't cheap Wink

I got out, espresso machine + grinder, for a bit over $1k. I believe that's about as inexpensively as one can do it and end-up with passable espresso or milk drinks with espresso as the coffee base (lattes, cappuccinos).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post