SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home Espresso/latte machine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home Espresso/latte machine? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I still have an old Rancilio Silvia espresso machine and it has been a workhorse for 18 years, though I haven't used it in a couple of years. Built tough, all metal parts, but it is not an easy machine to use, the learning curve is a bit steep to master the art of making a good cup of espresso. Does not have a PID temp control, and is a single boiler system, so achieving the perfect cup requires the ideal grind, the right tamp pressure, gauging the correct temp, to get a good shot (with lots of crema). I bought a Rancilio Rocky grinder to go along with it and still use it, having replaced the burrs a couple of times.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
This is worse than guns.
Espresso ain't cheap Wink

I got out, espresso machine + grinder, for a bit over $1k.

Yup, Espresso definitely ain't cheap!
February 2003 saw me pony up $1005 for my "dual use single boiler pro-summer espresso machine" and semi-commercial burr grinder. That was just for starters as accessories and minor refinements added more to the investment. Twenty years later now you know what a similar setup would run. Eek

My next door neighbor moved from a Silvia machine to a more upscale Quick Mill Anita HX heat exchange unit and from a Rocky grinder to a "better" Eureka Conti Valero burr grinder for over the $2k mark in 2007.

He and I visited the home of a professor from the local engineering college in 2011 where he had a tweaked out La Spaziale S1 Vivaldi II dual boiler espresso machine. He also two other units including a fancy lever espresso machine!
Yowser

Unadorned:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Please note it’s really lattes we’re looking for so I should have specified that.
Need to be able to get the hot frothy milk too.

For ease of that, and 100% reliable results, I recommend a dedicated "milk steamer". I'm sure it's slightly less hot than proper steamed milk but a no brainer and can be running at the same time you're pulling shots. Also called a frother, but unlike the wands that just whip up milk, the countertop models heat it. Can be easily had in the $30 range.

While convenient, my concerns with the combo grinder/frother/espresso is costs to repair or God know replace if one component of that bites the dust. For the cost of repairing a grinder in one of those I suspect I can just buy a new burr grinder for example

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
Breville has some combo machines with grinder built in. Might be a good option.

JC

Posts: 1269 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I've got the Breville Barista Express combo machine. It's about a $750 machine. It makes pretty damn good coffee for my tastes. Plenty of crema, etc. It's paid for itself several times over since we make iced americanos for my wife at home instead of multiple daily visits to charbucks. In fact, she now cannot stand charbucks and much prefers the home brew.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Charbucks has been my name for the Monster That Ate Seattle for years. Great minds think alike—but then it should be obvious the moment you let the cup touch your lips.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxdave:
... she now cannot stand charbucks and much prefers the home brew.
My wife tells me the lattes I've made for her with our Bambino Plus are the best she's ever tasted Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post