SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Local K9 retiring after 2 tours in Afghanistan with USMC and 5 years with our Sheriff's Department
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local K9 retiring after 2 tours in Afghanistan with USMC and 5 years with our Sheriff's Department Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
I know we have a lot of dog lovers here, check out this good boy! Gets to enjoy retirement after a stellar career in service to our country and our local county.

http://1450wlaf.com/2018/06/19...y-calls-it-a-career/

Cowboy calls it a career

He has served his country. He has served his county. And now, K-9 Officer Cowboy, a black Labrador Retriever, is calling it a career.

What a career! Two tours in Afghanistan as a Marine Corp bomb detection dog were followed by almost five-years as a member of the Campbell County Sheriff’s Department.

Cowboy’s partner, Captain Jeremy Goins, recalls a lot of good times together along with working lots of cases together. One memorable highlight is when Goins and Cowboy were a part of President Trump's detail on his last visit to Knoxville.

Goins describes Cowboy’s retirement as bittersweet and heart breaking. Though there is an upside in that Cowboy will continue to live with Goins, his wife, and two sons at their Davis Chapel home.

I loved this part
Cowboy has his own outside kennel. However, he’s quick to point out, with a chuckle, that the nine and a half year old has never stepped foot inside it. Goins says Cowboy’s usual sleeping spot is beside one of their beds. He adds that it means a lot to him and his family to care for Cowboy.

Happy Retirement Cowboy, you've earned it!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Smile

Thanks for sharing that!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12360 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
Destined for a life of cuddles, treats, hogging the bed and depositing land mines in the neighbors yard!

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Congrats to the Captain Goins and Cowboy. I hope Cowboy enjoys a peaceful retirement at home. Detector dogs are absolutely amazing, and it is most definitely a team. The handler has to read the dog's indications well enough to say "there is an explosive here", or "there is absolutely NO explosive here". That's the harder part.

Posts: 10805 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Congrats to the Captain Goins and Cowboy. I hope Cowboy enjoys a peaceful retirement at home. Detector dogs are absolutely amazing, and it is most definitely a team. The handler has to read the dog's indications well enough to say "there is an explosive here", or "there is absolutely NO explosive here". That's the harder part.

I can only imagine how stressful it must be, especially in areas where you know there are live IED's all over the place.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Apparently Cowboy is very excited. Good boy, Cowboy. Enjoy the rest of your days.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5489 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's an impressive career.

Posts: 5171 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome thanks for posting this.

That is a great career, and I am glad that he is being retired so he can enjoy himself.

He has done more this Country both OCONUS and CONUS than many will ever do or even think about doing.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Wonderful boy!
I hope he isn't being retired for medical reasons. I noticed an unusual red growth on the lower left jaw in the first picture, and it is still evident in the second one with the Capt.

He deserves a looooooooong and healthy retirement!

Good Boy!!
Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your service, Officer Cowboy, and enjoy your retirement!

Good doggie!!! Smile

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
Goooooood. Boyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Posts: 2477 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Who's a good boy!!!!

Thanks for posting.

Posts: 6067 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing that.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. We raise service puppies for the blind, for their first year. Lots of hard work goes into turning out these kinds of service dogs, and it's always good to hear when they retire to a good life after their service.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
That dog shouldn't be named Cowboy. He should be named Woody.
Regardless of names, that dog deserves everything wonderful for the rest of his life.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy retirement. A fine looking dog.

Posts: 4069 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
That puts a smile on my face. Thanks for sharing this story.

Posts: 3522 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope cowboy lives a long well deserved retirement I believe the old statement the more people I meet the more I appreciate my dog. Snuggly yellow lab at my side as I type this

Posts: 3306 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Fine officer and veteran. Kudos to him. The are the finest and most loyal creatures on the Earth.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12679 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post