SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boys/Girls State - were you/your kid in it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boys/Girls State - were you/your kid in it? Login/Join 
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted
I did a search, didn't see a previous post on this. I have AppleTV for free for a couple months and am watching Boy State (2020) about a session in Texas.

I was in Missouri Boys State in 1998, one of two from my high school. My high school girlfriend was in Missouri Girls State in 1997. My wife was in Iowa Girls State in 1999. I don't know how that happened, it just did, but the odds have to be small. Anyway, has anyone else or their kids been to their state's State? What were your experiences?

In the days before smart phones it looks like my experience was a bit different than current internet/social media/texting campaigning that occurs. I wasn't an Alpha Male / Extrovert and wanted to be a state trooper and took the Enforcement/Criminal Justice area which was very interesting with the presentations by MSHP, FBI, etc. I never saw what the other concentrations did during the day until this movie with the exception of seeing what occurred in evening sessions/speeches/votes. I'm glad I didn't pick any of the politician paths, maybe the law one would have been interesting as I ended up becoming a lawyer in my grown up real life. I remember what threw me off the most was the last day when everyone was going home a number of guys were crying and getting all emotional because they were going home and breaking up some life long friendship that was created in a week. Somehow I didn't make that personal connection but it was a great experience. Politics were much different then.

Posts: 2552 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buckeye Boys' State `81 or '82. Not sure which year. Quite an experience coming from a small rural community of less than 600. If I remember correctly, I attended because I scored the highest, or second highest, on a test The American Legion conducted each year. It was a fun week but much like you, never acquired lifelong friendships from the experience. I would encourage those who are eligible to attend

Posts: 53 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our son attended in 2012. He did not want to go but we convinced him it would help get a Army ROTC scholarship.

The Lion's Club in New Braunfels sponsored him.

Capt. Jake did receive a Sophomore - Senior ROTC scholarship and four years room and board from the University of Arkansas. He graduated in 2018 and I was honored to give him his first salute and pin his Airborne wings on him after Ranger School.

Posts: 1087 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son will be attending MO Boys State this summer. I never attended, but have a few friends who did.

Posts: 2164 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yep. Long Ago. The local American Legion post sponsored me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20340 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Deeds Not Words
posted Hide Post
Arkansas—summer of 1988. Invited to return the following year as a junior counselor. Subsequently, I had to recuse myself due to Plebe summer activities at Kings Point— U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. Great experience but rapidly overtaken by a more nautical adventure.

Navy BMD: When "Aim High" isn't High Enough!

Posts: 64 | Registered: August 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was in scouting back in the late 60’s to the mid 70’s and I only stopped because we ran out of fun things to do.

Posts: 53326 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I did it way back when. I did well enough I received a scholarship from it for college. My city was Busan.

Posts: 12500 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oklahoma Boy's State in 87 or 88', can't remember exact year. Fun time from what I remember.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1117 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
California Boy's State 1994.

Posts: 1940 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Washington state, 1990 in Cheney (Eastern Wa Univ). Got a scholarship because I went. Also sponsored by the local American Legion.

I attended an out-of-state university and by pure coincidence, my roommate also went to the same Boy's State as I did.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4340 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, Virginia at Lynchburg College 1974.

Posts: 294 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Louisiana Boys State. 75 or 76.

Posts: 997 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I had a girlfriend in college who was in Girls State. She was a wild one.

Posts: 27012 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our son went to Boy’s State in Missouri. He graduated high school in ‘96, so I guess he went in ‘95? (I don’t remember how that worked.) Joe Buck was the guest speaker that year.

Posts: 31 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post