SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever ridden in the back seat of your own vehicle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever ridden in the back seat of your own vehicle? Login/Join 
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted
​As I was vacuuming the second row of the suburban a thought came to me that I had never ridden in these seats. I had no idea how they feel. I thought back and realized that I don't think I have ever ridden in the back seat of my own vehicles. Front passenger seat, yeah, ride along with a mechanic, but never in the back.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Yes I have. Actually forced the salesman to chauffeur me around a bit Wink. This truck is my daily, but also a primary hunting truck. Annual trips out west with 3 other guys make backseat comfort a primary concern.

After a few years with extended cabs and the dismal comfort they provide I wanted to make sure the super crew was worth the $. It most certainly is back seat is 95% of front seat comfort.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
This is funny because I had the same thought recently.

I was cleaning my car and was working on the rear seats when I suddenly had the thought that 'I've had this car for 8 years and never rode back here'.

It's actually pretty nice back there. I have a throw blanket and a pillow. back there; comfortable seats, plenty of leg room. Now, I just need someone to drive me around! Big Grin

ETA: I'm reminded of when my kids starting driving. They always jumped at the chance to drive, and I was happy to let them. I would either sit in the front passenger seat or in the back, kick back, read, take a nap, or just look out the window.

The best time was driving back to Chicago from Florida when my oldest was about 19 or 20. He asked if he could drive. I said, 'Sure! Just let me know when you get tired'. He likes to drive and never asked me to take over once. That was a great drive! Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
It was a long time ago, I was a kid, and we weren't moving in the car. Smile

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Slept in it once or twice, never as a passenger with someone else driving. Also, I have had it for almost 15 years and only two passengers have ever ridden there.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Yep. Every 4 months or so, I take the family to a local Italian place with an expansive Scotch/Whiskey bar. Needless to say, I don't drive home.

Posts: 4212 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not since the late 70s but I have ridden in the passenger seat of my wife’s after eye appointment dilations and surgery that required anesthesia. Otherwise I’m the designated driver if we’re together as she hates driving.

Posts: 289 | Location: North Central Florida | Registered: December 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a Suburban. I have the captains chairs with leather on the second row. They suck. The third row is even more miserable. My kids are the ones that usually sit back there, so maybe those seats are more comfortable to them, but for an adult, they suck.

Posts: 679 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yup, when my brother wanted to test drive my new '94 Dodge Intrepid.

Those cars didn't get any respect, but I loved mine.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15271 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Ha! Never thought of that. I’m single, so I’d have to get one of the kittehs to drive. Or lease a hooker…

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I've ridden in the 2nd and 3rd row of our Suburban numerous times on trips. Wife and I usually divide and conquer with one driving and the other reigning in child terror, but often I end up working on the laptop and making calls like the Lincoln Lawyer...only in a Suburban. I've never ridden in the back of any other of our current cars though.

I once wedged myself between two car seats in the 2nd row of the Outback we used to have to reign in childhood terror. That was a very uncomfortable place...much like the back of a Volkswagen I would imagine.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It was a long time ago, I was a kid, and we weren't moving in the car. Smile

You guy were just sitting back there? Razz

(I know what you meant; I just read it poorly at first pass.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13519 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have. Usually, after consuming a beverage or two, my wife will drive home and I'll sit in the front. But last year, on a long road trip I decided to sit in the back for a bit with my wife and daughter up front. It was weird.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24172 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! The back of my king cab truck has acres of leg room and is very comfortable. When my daughter and son in law come to visit, I put them in the front, and enjoy being chauffeured around.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Only recently. I sit back there with headphones on, sipping Diet Mt. Dew out of my cup, eating snacks, periodically screaming "are we there yet" and thinking "So this is what I've been missing the last 16 years."

Posts: 11010 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This calls to mind an amazing skill my old man had. He could steer the car, twist around and thump the shit out of my brother and I. this in an era when cars had large rear seats and required quite a long reach in order to get the job done. This has caused me to lose interest in back seat travel.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16121 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Yes, post knee surgery. Was unable to bend comfortably knees after knee replacement so wife drove and I was in backseat to be able to stretch out legs.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2706 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
The only time I can remember being in the back, I had gotten off of graveyard shift, and I went to sleep in the floor of our Sienna minivan while my wife drove the first leg of our family trip. A couple of hours into it, she spun off of the interstate due to ice. She was too flustered to continue on, and before I could find my shoes, an 18 wheeler ran off the highway to avoid other spinning vehicles and hit us broadside at full speed. Sienna saved us, but wife almost lost her leg. Now wife always wants me to drive when we’re together.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
No, I have crashed out there before but never rode back there.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9369 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
For me it would be impossible. I am 6'4" 250lb I drive a Scion FR-S. It is a two door sports car however it does have back seats, at least that's what they call them.

With both front seats in a position someone would be able to ride in the car, the back of the front seats are up against the front of the rear seats. In other words no place for the rear seat passenger to place their legs.

When the salesman took us for a test drive he had to lay across the back seat to be able to go with us.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post