SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This School Took Away Smartphones. The Kids Don’t Mind.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This School Took Away Smartphones. The Kids Don’t Mind. Login/Join 
posted
A boarding school is conducting a social experiment: a smartphone ban for all students and faculty.

Buxton School, a 57-student high school in Williamstown, in northwest Massachusetts, had always prided itself on its close-knit community, where family-style meals are eaten at round tables and students and teachers share in chores. But as smartphones became ubiquitous, faculty members say that sense of community eroded.

Students often looked down at screens during meals and even in class, where phones were prohibited. Teachers grew tired of being gadget police. Kids retreated to their rooms after class to scroll and text rather than gathering in student lounges. When the Covid-19 pandemic hit in 2020 and the school closed for a few months, class went virtual and things got worse.

“We found our students had disengaged more and more from real life as their phones became their world,” says John Kalapos, Buxton’s associate head of school, who graduated from the school in 2013. The trend continued after students returned to campus, he says.

Mr. Kalapos realized something needed to be done late last year after a student live-streamed a physical altercation. Watched on social media by many students, the fight became the talk of the school. He and other administrators began discussing a ban. Many students thought that the school wouldn’t actually do it—and that stripping phones from teens was unrealistic.

But it happened.

Bea Sas and other Buxton students now use Light Phones, which have limited capability.
This fall, students weren’t permitted to have smartphones on campus, and teachers agreed not to use them. Instead, they would all receive minimalist Light Phones for essential communication. The announcement resulted in chaos, Mr. Kalapos says. “Everyone was crying. Kids were yelling at us,” he recalls. “Parent feedback was really mixed.”

Now, nearly two months in, students are getting used to life without social media and the drama of group texts—even if not all of them love it. Although it’s a measure that other school administrators couldn’t even dream of adopting, the lessons could be useful.

No Looking Down

Bea Sas says students are less isolated now that they aren’t retreating into their smartphones.
“There are some things that are annoying about not having your phone, like watching videos,” says Emilio Martinez Buenrostro, a 16-year-old sophomore.

Still, he says, he’s gotten used to not being glued to his screen all the time. It’s nice to see other students walking around campus without looking down at their phones, he adds.

Bea Sas, an 18-year-old senior at Buxton, says it has been a relief. Now, she can go on strolls or study without being bombarded by notifications and the pressure to respond to texts.

The teachers say they, too, have had to adjust. “I used to have my smartphone on my desk when I was teaching, and there were moments of checking in with the outside world. Now, there’s nothing that brings me out of the classroom,” says math teacher Adrian St. John.

The school is surveying students and teachers throughout the year to assess how the smartphone ban is going. In the first installment, conducted in September, students said the ban hasn’t been as bad as they feared. Teachers said students are more engaged in class.

Buxton photography teacher Katherine Finkelstein, in a long-sleeved shirt, says her students have shown more interest in analog photography now that they aren’t carrying smartphones.
Students can still have tablets and smartwatches under certain circumstances. Digital cameras are allowed. All students can have laptops, from which they’re allowed to access social media. The idea, Mr. Kalapos says, wasn’t to cut off students entirely from the outside world, but to make it harder to have online drama accessible at all times from their pockets.

The school wanted to make sure parents and students could still reach each other, so it supplied the Light Phones. The devices have basic call and text functioning but no internet browser, camera or apps. Texting is designed to be clunky, and many students say it’s so slow that they don’t bother texting more than a few words at a time.

Light Chief Executive Kaiwei Tang says the majority of the phone’s users are young adults trying to be more intentional about their phone use. But he says parents are getting interested in Light Phones for their kids. Buxton is the first school with which the company has partnered. Light is lending refurbished phones; the school pays for service.

Students at Buxton perform chores, such as chopping wood and taking out trash, as a way
Lasting Impact?
The looming question is whether the Buxton students will maintain healthier tech habits when they return home over the summer or head off to college.

“Tech holidays or digital fasts are very effective for restoring baseline mood, motivation, energy and sleep, as well as decreasing the constant cravings to check our devices,” says Anna Lembke, a professor of psychiatry and addiction medicine at Stanford University School of Medicine. The effects can be lasting if people are motivated by the benefits of screen moderation or abstinence, she adds.

More children and teens are struggling with mental-health issues and medical experts are recommending children as young as 8 be screened for anxiety disorders. Social media and cyberbullying have been found to play a role in exacerbating many mental-health issues in teens, ranging from anxiety to eating disorders.

For years, Dr. Lembke, who wrote “Dopamine Nation: Finding Balance in the Age of Indulgence,” has encouraged schools to adopt similar bans. “It is unrealistic and unfair to expect students to police themselves without help,” she says.

Buxton can pull this off because it’s a relatively tiny boarding school. It can enforce rules even after class hours are over. Still, parents and administrators everywhere could hold it up as an example when trying to create more-realistic policies to separate students from smartphones.

Buxton School, in Williamstown, Mass., has banned smartphones from campus.
During a recent four-day weekend at home, students were given their smartphones for the trip. Many found it weird to have them back. Lynne Harris, a mother in St. Marys, Ga., said her 15-year-old son stayed with a friend during the long weekend and told her that he felt his smartphone had too many apps. He cut four screens of apps and games down to two, and said it felt good to get rid of them.

Yamalia Marks, a 17-year-old senior at Buxton, says having her phone back felt illicit, “like I was committing this crime.” Her iPhone 13 felt heavy compared with the little Light Phone, and she says she didn’t use it much during her stay with her mom.

Not having a phone at school this year has allowed her to make new friends and to savor more moments of her senior year, she says.

“I’m a lot happier being on social media less. I think I’ve been a lot more self-aware,” she says, adding that she expects the benefit to carry into her first year of college.

“Will I ever go back to having a phone with me all the time?” she wonders. “I don’t know, but I hope not.”
LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...?mod=hp_trending_now

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
There should be NO cell phones in any school classroom PERIOD end of story.
Student, teacher, janitor, principal, para educator, NO ONE.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought it was absurd that kids were ever allowed to have phones in school.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
They always say its for an emergency. When I was in grammar school and if there was an emergency people still got notified.
Schools are fairly regimented. Dont deviate and your good. Dont miss the bus, etc.

The one problem I see now though is there is no payphones around anymore.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
The one problem I see now though is there is no payphones around anymore.

There wasn't a pay phone within a mile of my grade school (or high school for that matter). Somehow or another, we all survived.

Posts: 20107 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:

The school wanted to make sure parents and students could still reach each other, so it supplied the Light Phones. The devices have basic call and text functioning but no internet browser, camera or apps. Texting is designed to be clunky, and many students say it’s so slow that they don’t bother texting more than a few words at a time.

Never heard of a "light phone", but I do use a basic phone, or "dumb" phone. Yes, texting is more of a pain than smartphones using the T-9 system, but I have learned quickly to just text the very minimum. Since we don't have a land line anymore at home, I just leave it on the counter much of the time, half the time forgetting to bring it with me when I leave the house.

Getting off the smartphone merry go round was a good decision for me. Don't miss it one bit.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I agree with most of the points made but will add that their presence is not always a bad thing.

From a safety standpoint, there have been both medical and police emergencies where phones being present have saved lives.

Also, there has been a lot of evidence of some of the nonsense that occurs in schools (generally public schools) recorded by students on their phones.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Even though we can live without the technology today, I am soooo glad it wasn't available when I was a kid.
Life was simpler then. Smile

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
AMEN, brother!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Bea Sas, an 18-year-old senior at Buxton, says it has been a relief. Now, she can go on strolls or study without being bombarded by notifications and the pressure to respond to texts.

The teachers say they, too, have had to adjust. “I used to have my smartphone on my desk when I was teaching, and there were moments of checking in with the outside world. Now, there’s nothing that brings me out of the classroom,” says math teacher Adrian St. John.
These are very important things.

I'm currently reading a book entitled Stolen Focus: Why You Can't Pay Attention and How To Think Deeply Again, by Johann Hari. He found mobile devices, particularly those with social apps installed on them, are a big problem.

It's a fascinating book.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the comment. You are quite right about focus and thinking deeply.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post