SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Move to adjourn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Move to adjourn Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
My son pulled a good one again tonight. This is the 2nd month in a row he's done it. They need to learn he doesn't have much patience with bullshit.

We belong to a large 4wd club. Meetings have taken a routine. No matter what's being discussed they come to a point where its kind of useless to continue. And he's pulled again. they call on him and he just moves to adjourn. Those motions take precedence ov other ones. Its kind of funny becasuse at some point, additional talk will just piss off more people. What was really funny was the number of folks to laughed when he made the motion. I used to be the one doing it. Now it's my son. This is the 2nd month in a row he's done it. You'd think they'd learn. What was funny was the vote. About 2/3ds voted to adjourn. It used to be me pulling that crap. Now its my son.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18390 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The apple does not fall far from the tree Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19257 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a former autocrosser, having attended the club meetings in officer capacity. This approach of pushing END when the discussion is no longer constructive is brilliant. The depths members would go to for their pet projects/peeves is astounding. Bravo

Peter

Posts: 95 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Another classic and underappreciated (underutilized?) parliamentary maneuver/tactic, is to 'Call the Question' to end debate and move to a vote. It is particularly useful when the discussion becomes circular and/or non-productive, and especially if the direction of the discussion is to the disadvantage of your side!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8969 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Certainly something to brag about and be proud of! Roll Eyes

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never belonged to any orgs or clubs but was a union member for 20 years.

Every journeyman had a voice & a vote. Always a few who wanted to drag out every union meeting (when business was clearly over) to discuss their pet projects, which usually included union funds.

Move to adjourn sounds like a good tool for those moments.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1944 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
Another classic and underappreciated (underutilized?) parliamentary maneuver/tactic, is to 'Call the Question' to end debate and move to a vote. It is particularly useful when the discussion becomes circular and/or non-productive, and especially if the direction of the discussion is to the disadvantage of your side!

Interesting, Roberts Rules is specific on this, so if you want to use it, here's a reference link on how to use it for those so inclined..

Link - Call to Question

Posts: 23603 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"Are we gonna fish or eat bait?"

Bravo!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

Interesting, Roberts Rules is specific on this, so if you want to use it, here's a reference link on how to use it for those so inclined..

Link - Call to Question

Robert’s Rules of Order can be very effective when used properly.

If people want to sit around and BS do it after the meeting has adjourned so those who have more pressing things to do can go about their business.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6337 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgerge222:
Certainly something to brag about and be proud of! Roll Eyes

I agree. I also love it when my sons don’t suffer fools.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2114 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post