SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New thermostat, different than Veepers post
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New thermostat, different than Veepers post Login/Join 
posted
While Veeper is looking to get a stat with no internet, I have a different problem. We keep our cabin at 50 degrees when we ae not there. It takes about four hours to raise the emp to 68. I would like to do this remotely, I do have internet at the cabin. Any preferences as to what stat to buy that would be easy to use? Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
We replaced our old HVAC system a couple years ago.

The distributor of the new system had a special going, a free upgrade to this model.

It will do what you're asking about. Before I leave work, I can check the temperature at the house and adjust the target temperature so the system will start working during my commute.

You can see the internet symbol at the top right corner of the screen:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
If you opt for an Ecobee t-stat, you can enable geo-fencing and have the t-stat behave the way you want it to by virtue of your physical location. Neat feature I use on our HVAC system throughout the entire year to insure our home is always the right temp when I'm there (or soon will be there).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Ecobee.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use Nest thermostat and carbon monoxide detectors in our main and rental homes for years now. They're excellent. Easy to install.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I’m in the Honeywell camp. I have one that does the exact same functions as what V-Tail posted, it just has a fancier screen. Schedule, as well as remote access. I’m quite happy with it.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rucker:
Another vote for Ecobee.

Third vote for the bee!

I have them on three houses and love being able to remotely adjust them as well as reviewing the usage data. I can also tell if we’ve lost power there as, of course, it goes offline, but boots up by itself when power is restored.

I believe they are having a sale right now..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a https://www.amazon.com/Honeywe...d_i=B07N83WK9T&psc=1

That does exactly what you are looking for.

It also come with and extra sensor to track temp in a second room.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have used the Honeywell Home thermostat and app for years. It just works.
Would buy same again. Matter of fact did exactly that when we moved into our new house.
Billy

Posts: 266 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

I’m in the Honeywell camp. I have one that does the exact same functions as what V-Tail posted, it just has a fancier screen. Schedule, as well as remote access. I’m quite happy with it.
Yeah, the one that I showed is similar to (same as?) the one that I have. It does have a schedule function, you can schedule four periods, such as sleeping, morning, away at work, and evening at home, for each of seven days. The scheduling is easiest do do with the free app, available for smart phones and tablets.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I am an Ecobee user you can remotely control, will give you current temps, you can set notifications for low and high temp warnings you can monitor individual room temps if needed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much!

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Honeywell camp.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20754 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
The lyric will be your cheapest option, but I suggest either Honeywell prestige or a Carrier stat called a COR’. My professional experience has shown me more dropped WiFi connections with the Ecobe than anything else.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of np149
posted Hide Post
Another happy ecobee user here. I have extra sensors around my house to help balance out the temps in the house. As a bonus, the sensors can be used by Apple Home as motion detectors to activate smart light bulbs with HomeKit.

I have a couple of lamps with smart bulbs that pop on when I walk by one of my sensors. they stay on for ten minutes then turn off.

Another feature is the geo fence that someone mentioned. I have mine set to turn on a couple of lamps whenever one of us turns into the sub. That way, no one is walking into a dark house and the people inside know its a friendly when the light pops on.

One last suggestion for you is when you're driving to your other home, you can just ask Siri to set the heat to whatever you want it at. If you time it correctly, you will walk into a warm house.

I didn't think I would like these additional features, but now I won't be without them. Good luck with your decision.

Posts: 236 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Be sure to get one with automatic time setting/updates over the internet. Setting clocks manually is painful. Especially if it doesn't update during daylight savings.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Emerson Sensi. App and Alexa enabled.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
We have 2 non-WIFI enabled Honeywell thermostats that look just like the one V-Tail posted, except without the WIFI symbol.

One of the temperature buttons is at times unresponsive.
I went ahead and replaced both of the units with the one V-Tail posted. I had ordered them on Saturday, and they arrived last night.

Installation time was about 15 minutes per unit. The mounting holes lined up perfectly, and more importantly, I did not have to do any paint touchups. Smile

The thermostats can be controlled from a web application or from one of 2 phone apps.

This fit my needs and for under $70 each, was inexpensive enough.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post