SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn weeds - What is this and how to kill it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn weeds - What is this and how to kill it Login/Join 
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted
These weeds started popping up with the hot weather.
At first I pulled them out, probably leaving the roots, but then there were just too many.
My usual broadleaf weed killer doesn't phase it.
I've always had it, but this year is worse than ever.

Can anyone tell me what it is and what to use to kill it?
It grows in bunches and spreads out.
Grass is Bermuda.

TIA...

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Looks like lisperza, I know I spelled it wrong, it's some kinda import from Korea they used to hold soil and feed cattle in the fiftys and it's everywhere in the south now.

Back in NC I used a product called speed zone, or Trimec...they both worked

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
It's called spurge.

Fairly easy to pull. I don't consider it a huge lawn problem (looks like it is for you though), but I can't keep it out of my damed planter beds.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Yeah. We have tons of it here in the Midwest. Easy to pull but keeps popping up.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g8rforester:
It's called spurge.

Fairly easy to pull. I don't consider it a huge lawn problem (looks like it is for you though), but I can't keep it out of my damed planter beds.

Some good info on Spurge, looks like it is best controlled pre-emergently rather than after the fact unless you can isolate it from the lawn.

Posts: 22916 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Waffles
Picture of cherokee2u
posted Hide Post
Spurge Mad

I hate this crap. Not hard to pull up after a rain. preemergent and postemergent herbicide will have decent results but spurge has many seeds so it can become an annual problem. The better lawn you have the better it keeps it under control. Grows best in bare spots or when grass is stressed by summer heat

https://aggie-horticulture.tam...7-Spotted-Spurge.pdf

A shepherd must tend his flock....and at times fight off the wolves

Posts: 2988 | Location: Carolina | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yup, spurge is what the farmers called it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
I get it some here in Virginia. But does not pop-up thru the grass only in bare spots where grass was missing or killed by crabgrass.... Have not really tried to spot-treat it, just pulled it up here and there. Not sure if it is related to crazy wet summer weve had or related to my regular treatments by "The Weedman".

Posts: 504 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What’s your usual weed killer? 2,4-D?

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yup, didn't know what it was called but I get around here as well. It's mostly a problem for me in bare spots as others have said.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5041 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Looks like lisperza, I know I spelled it wrong, it's some kinda import from Korea they used to hold soil and feed cattle in the fiftys and it's everywhere in the south now.

Spurge. It's not lespedeza, but similar.

Common lespedeza (Kummerowia striata (Thunb.) Schind syn. Lespedeza striata) is a freely branched, summer annual legume that is a problematic weed in lawns and other turf areas. Common lespedeza, also known as Japanese clover or annual lespedeza, has three smooth, oblong leaflets with parallel veins that are nearly perpendicular to the midvein (Figure 1). As common lespedeza matures, the stems harden and become woody, which is attributed to persistence and competition with turfgrasses in late summer (Figure 2). Flowers are pink to purple and present in the leaf axils.

http://extension.uga.edu/publi...rol%20in%20Turfgrass

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...110091644#9110091644

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24130 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Looks like lisperza, I know I spelled it wrong,...

ITYM Lespedeza. I think not. Lespedeza has woodier-looking stems and somewhat pointier leaves.

I think the others are right: It's one of the spurges.

SpeedZone (red) should get it. If you use a non-ionic surficant with it (I would) and a hose-end sprayer, don't forget to adjust the rate to account for the volume of surficant.

SpeedZone, applied at the correct rate, is fast. You should see what it does to Purslane, a similar-looking weed that you often see in driveway, walkway and patio cracks, and along the edges of those and of gardens. I hit that stuff with SpeedZone and it's already looking decidedly unhappy 24 hours later. W/in a couple days it's essentially gone.

SpeedZone is effective on Creeping Charlie and clover, as well. (Some clover is good, but I was out of control in our yard.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Try Triclopyr (3,5,6). It works on stuff that seems resistant to 2,4-D. Or go with a product like Crossbow which is a mixture of both. Mix in a little Dicamba and I bet you’ll get it. The Speedzone ensigmatic suggested is 2-4,D + Dicamba. Crossbow is 2-4,D + Triclopyr.

You’d better test your lawn first. Bermuda is susceptible to more stress from herbicides than other species. Also, this isn’t the best time of year to get maximum efficacy. 2,4-D is best in June, since it works by causing uncontrolled growth in the plant. It doesn’t work well late in the season because the growth has already slowed as the plant winds down for the year.

If you are going with a “mix up everything” approach, watch for overspray. Dicamba will kill conifers, for example. It’s a good way to accidentally wipe out your hedge.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
If that is the weed where you grab and pull the main root right at or below the branches, I've been fighting that for years.

I used Weed B Gon and Roundup effectively when I broke down and used chemicals. What I normally did(I moved away from that house earlier this year) was pull them. After watering, I'd sit in my chair and pull all within arm's length since the wet soil made it easier.

I have a neurological disease, but I can't pin it on any one thing since I've been exposed to so many things over my 54 years. That's why I would pull these and other weeds rather than to use chemicals, which I still did as a last resort.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Or go with a product like Crossbow which is a mixture of both. Mix in a little Dicamba and I bet you’ll get it. The Speedzone ensigmatic suggested is 2-4,D + Dicamba. Crossbow is 2-4,D + Triclopyr.

Speedzone "red" is actually 2, 4-D, 2 Ethylhexyl Ester - 28.57%, Mecoprop-p Acid - 5.88%, Diacama Acid - 1.17% and Carefen trazone-ethyl - .62%.

FWIW: The members over on lawnsite.com seem to report more effective results with SpeedZone than Crossbow. (Personally, I cannot say. We haven't had a big problem with spurge. I bought it for the clover control. The Creeping Charlie and Purslane was icing on the cake.)

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
You’d better test your lawn first. Bermuda is susceptible to more stress from herbicides than other species.

This is excellent advice. My "grass" is so crappy that a little damage wouldn't be the end of the world, so I didn't worry so much about it. Best thing might be mix up a small batch in a 1 ga. sprayer, treat one small area and give it a few days.

Also I just realized your profile says "Texas." You might be better-served with SpeedZone Southern than "red."

I concur with sigcrazy7's other points, except I believe the proper selective herbicide, properly applied, will still do the job. In fact: After I get the new seed down, I'm going to do another round of crabgrass spot control. In two weeks the second round of Tenacity on the !@$!%!! bent grass. And that's up here in Michigan. In another month I certainly wouldn't bother, though.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Good advice.^^

Killing Spurge or anything tougher than dandelions is a multi-faceted affair. You must plan on more than one application over the course of the season, and sometimes using a variety of herbicides. For example, spurge can be knocked back early with a pre-emergent in the early spring, then two treatments of 2,4-D in June, spaced two weeks apart, then a late season treatment of Dicamba.

Or you could hit it with a flame thrower, saturate it with glysophate, and put it under a hot tarp for a month. Sometimes you just gotta nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I hate this stuff it is crazy in my planters at the moment.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25428 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your input.
It is appreciated...

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
For growth in the cracks around concrete, Roundup. In the yard, Ortho Weed B Gon does it for me just fine.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post