SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sliding Patio Door question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sliding Patio Door question Login/Join 
Picture of IndianaMike
posted
I have Anderson sliding patio door and the screen wont open and close very well any more.I have to jiggle/wiggle it make it slide. I have cleaned the track. Can i Lube it? If so what kind of lube ?

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used a DRY Teflon spray which I believe was from 3M. Make sure to clean the track out first.
If the rollers are worn out replacements used to be available for some makes.

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Scotchbrite pad to remove dirt on frame rail.

No grease!

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OOPS forgot to mention that I have just bought replacement generic screen doors in the past for warped, bent, or otherwise dog/ cat/ or clumsy old me damaged doors. Good luck

Posts: 146 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take the door off the track and check the top and bottom wheels if they have them.

They may need to be lubricated or replaced.

Different year sliding screen doors have different wheels.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pella has provided me with free replacement rollers under warranty for a set of sliding doors installed in the 1990s. Maybe Andersen will do the same?

https://www.andersenwindows.com/support/

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My screen door had a quality frame, a good screen and they put on cheap
plastic wheels. Had a family get together with a bunch of kids, the wheels
disintegrated. Big box stores? Same thing. I gave up, keep the glass door closed.

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
I just did this on my anderson screen door a well. The problem is that the rollers wear out, the plastic wheels get oblong in the hole and don't roll anymore so they stick instead of roll. Its a very easy replacement, there are a couple of youtube videos out there. Here is a link to the one I bought on amazon. Once I replaced the rollers, my door slid in and out nice and smooth.
https://www.amazon.com/Sliding...TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&th=1

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Ace Hardware (and probably other hardware stores) has a can of lubricant that is marked specifically for patio doors. Clean the schmutz out of the tracks before you lubricate it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30674 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Take the door off the track and check the top and bottom wheels if they have them.

They may need to be lubricated or replaced.

Different year sliding screen doors have different wheels.
This. Most likely the bearings in your door wheels are shot. HD will have replacements, but take the old ones to the store with you to match them up. I have found that it is not too hard to adapt a generic replacement to a highly-engineered suspension rollers. Specifically, substituting these for something like these, and much easier to maintain.

Note that some screen doors have rollers on the top of the door to prevent rocking, and these can wear out too. These are usually, but not always, the same as in the bottom channel.

If the frame is bent/warped, you can usually, disassemble the door, and tap them straight, perhaps replacing any bent corner brackets with new ones. Do not try to straighten the frame unless you take it down to "sticks," or it will twist on you in the most creative ways.

Posts: 6475 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
Update cleaned the snot out of it again blowed out the rollers and Bingo it works fine thanks for the help.

Posts: 1604 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post