SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unbelievable video shows Chicago firefighter jumping to safety during massive fire in Bridgeport
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unbelievable video shows Chicago firefighter jumping to safety during massive fire in Bridgeport Login/Join 
posted
CHICAGO — Unbelievable video from WGN News’ Skycam 9 captured a firefighter jumping to safety while battling a massive fire in Chicago’s Bridgeport neighborhood.

The extra-alarm fire started around 7 a.m. Friday at a building in the 2700 block of South Lowe. Power lines in the area were catching fire, causing a bigger problem for firefighters to control the flames.

When Skycam 9 arrived to the scene, fire crews were seen sliding down a ladder from the roof as smoke overtook the area. One firefighter, who was stranded on the roof, was captured jumping to the building next door to safety.

According to Chicago fire officials, all crew members are accounted for. At least four firefighters were transported to area hospitals with non life threatening injuries.

The fire was struck just after 8 a.m. Friday.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this time.

Video at link: https://wgntv.com/news/chicago...chicagos-bridgeport/

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a jump for life! Considering how heavy that bunker gear is, He had to been been worried.

Tony

Posts: 316 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Dang. Hope he's okay. I bet he's feeling that in his back, hips, knees, and ankles today, especially considering all the extra weight from his gear... That was the least worst option, considering the alternatives.

Posts: 32545 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
WHERE IS YOUR RIT !!!!!!

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad he made it. Looking at the wiring in that area I'm thinking there are a lot of fires in that area. It looks like what you see in India.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
They where truckies. They opened the roof to vent and it vented! time to go. Secondary means of egress would have been nice but things happen. Glad there OK. Hray

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1142 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video reporter mentioned one firefighter being treated with an orthopedic injury. If I were to be a betting man, I'd put my money on the jumper.

I hope that he and his peers recover completely.

Posts: 1515 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Superhero landings are really hard on your knees.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’d call the leap one of desperation rather than bravery. The bravery part is a given for being there in the first place.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15616 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post