SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Health Care Workers--- Heroes ???
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health Care Workers--- Heroes ??? Login/Join 
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
My wife is my hero.

She has always volunteered to put herself in danger for people in need, even at her own risk.

Many years ago in Colombia, she would visit remote areas controlled by FARC guerrillas to help people with Tuberculosis. We would still be there had her father not been assassinated.

Almost 20 years ago, we lived up north, and we were expecting our second child. She was 13 weeks pregnant, and rushed to downtown New York City when the planes hit in 2001. She was volunteering to see patients, in a hospital she didn't work at, to let the ER people focus on the trauma cases undisturbed by patients with heart attacks or pulmonary embolisms. Unbeknownst to her, they had installed a portable x-ray unit right behind her non-shielded cubicle. A week later, we lost the baby, and almost lost her too, as she hemorrhaged and went into hypovolemic shock. To this day - even 20 years later - she blames herself.

Now she works as a hospitalist here in Florida, and is torn by what has been going on with COVID. On the one hand, she wants to volunteer in the COVID unit at her hospital, but fears she will bring it home to her family. Our kids are healthy, but I'm in my 50s and I'm diabetic, so she's obviously worrying mostly about me.

She doesn't do it for the glory. She's a dedicated and compassionate human being that quietly does it because she feels she can help sometimes.

Her patients love her, and that's all she needs.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Perhaps the constant proclaiming by so many people is what I am tired of.

Exactly....calling everyone a hero lessens the meaning. There are some who might truly deserve being called that, but not all, just because of the job.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
For some perspective:

Yesterday was Nurses' Day. You know what Deplorable Dixie's entire hospital system did for its nurses in recognition of that day? Nothing.

Other hospitals in the area were giving nurses free food, etc., as is customary.

She bought her own damn cupcake.

Yesterday our governor, during one of his almost daily press conferences, decided to celebrate Nurse's Day by first recognizing nurses during the pandemic with the typical customary flattering type descriptions, and then brought on an experienced nurse with many years of health care experience...who read a 'heart wrenching' prepared plea to celebrate the day by following all of the governor's mandated orders on social distancing, mask wearing, etc... effectively choosing to celebrate the day by using it as a propaganda campaign to bolster his orders.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nurses Day, Doctors Day, Lawyers Day, Secretary Day, Dogs Day, Cats Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, My Day, Your Day.... Totally insignificant.

What's really significant to me? Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Nurses Day, Doctors Day, Lawyers Day, Secretary Day, Dogs Day, Cats Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, My Day, Your Day.... Totally insignificant.

Agreed...although I would add Independence Day and Constitution Day to the list.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Agreed...although I would add Independence Day and Constitution Day to the list.

Absolutely! But, I was just talking about People's Day, you know. Every Joe has to have his day. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
ahh, gotcha now. I guess I just never thought of either Memorial Day or Veterans Day as "people" holidays.

Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
ahh, gotcha now. I guess I just never thought of either Memorial Day or Veterans Day as "people" holidays.

Memorial Day is to remember those who gave their life while serving in the Armed Forces. Veterans Day is to remember everyone who has ever served in the Armed Forces of the United States. Both are groups of "people" and not event driven holidays.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

They were not called Robot's Day. Razz Big Grin

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:

Memorial Day is to remember those who gave their life while serving in the Armed Forces. Veterans Day is to remember everyone who has ever served in the Armed Forces of the United States. Both are groups of "people" and not event driven holidays.

quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
Theye not called Robot's Day. Razz Big Grin

Yes, I am aware of what both Memorial Day and Veterans Day commemorate. My point, maybe not well made, is that I think of these holidays as patriotic days of rememberance, of a recognition of sacrifice, and a recognition of service. I don't think of those remembered on these days the same as I would say, as Mother's / Father's Day, or Washington's/ Lincoln's/ or MLK's birthdays...which is not to say that these others don't deserve to have their service rembered, merely that I focus on the collective service and sacrifice of those who served our country in the armed services.