SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bird Folks - A question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bird Folks - A question Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
We feed the birds in the winter. After losing several fancy feeders to various disasters, we just have a wooden tray we fill and set on the front stoop. Works fine.

Question is this: I have a problem with ice buildup on the stoop and I'd like to put down some salt to break up the ice. I'm concerned about the birds either consuming the salt or the salt burning/irritating their feet.

What I have available and would prefer to use (to get rid of it) is some fine grain mineral salt. If that's a bad idea, I do have rock salt as well.

Problem or no?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what do you put out for seed?
peanuts? shelled peanuts?
millet?, suet? b.o. sunflower ?
safflower ? thistle?

I get these for my hanging feeders
https://www.acehardware.com/de...AvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

the ace hardware gives them to me because I am handsome Big Grin

they work great for keeping rain and snow out of the feeders.

can you put a dozen holes on the bottom of the tray and then put mesh over the holes , for the water to run out , but the seed will stay on top?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Currently, here in the Frozen North my bird feeder is supporting:
A large group of Voles.
Two very cold Cottontail Rabbits.
A horde of red and gray squirrels.
Many birds. Mostly Chickadees, Nuthatches and Finches.
I have a small patio that ices up from time to time but I just shovel it off and put on spikes to fill and maintain the feeder. The anti-icing stuff might be bad for all non-birds that the feeder supports so I dont use any of it. If you are leaving your feeder tray out at night, you might be surprised at who is using it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I have wondered the same thing about putting down ice melt and if it would be harmful to the birds. So far, I haven't seen any evidence of any harmful affects.

As a side note, I have birds come up and start chipping away on the cement between bricks on my porch and porch steps. I don't know if they are looking for a nutrient or grit, but it doesn't seem to be harmful to them....not so good for my porch though.

I use a similar type feeder....wooden frame tray with a screen base, works great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ggile,

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2095 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We live out on the prairie east of town. The area is still populated by native bird species that evolved there. It’s pretty quiet here, with respect to birds, in the winter months; the natives fly south. In the warm weather months we have meadowlarks, horned larks, lark bunting, nighthawks, various native sparrows and a few warblers and a others that escape me at the moment. I’ve noticed that those neighbors who feed birds have drawn in a bunch of urban parasites, and I include robins in that mix, along with English sparrows, grackles and starlings. I hate that. I know from feeding Gambel’s quail in the Arizona desert, that there are places you can feed birds without drawing in undesirables; hope that’s the case. There are also places were the bird population is what it is, and that’s all there is to it. There is a concern about contagions spreading where birds are fed.

Posts: 13306 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I get mostly mourning doves, bluejays and crows, with the occasional chickadee.

Also red and gray squirrels.

Posts: 15276 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No idea if it's a real risk but I would share your concern.

Is there any possibility of putting your feeder on some sort of mat ( maybe a welcome mat) that you could periodically shake or rinse ??

Posts: 1276 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Natural salt should not be a problem, since it is short term and short exposure times to the birds.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Could you elevate the tray so it's not where you need the salt (i.e. ground/foot level)?

That would keep the salt out of the tray, where the birds don't want it and where it's not doing its job (melting the snow on the stoop). Also melting the snow in the tray would produce meltwater, leading to ice, which will freeze up the birdseed.

Posts: 15039 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Could you elevate the tray so it's not where you need the salt (i.e. ground/foot level)?

That would keep the salt out of the tray, where the birds don't want it and where it's not doing its job (melting the snow on the stoop). Also melting the snow in the tray would produce meltwater, leading to ice, which will freeze up the birdseed.

I would guess that the seed gets knocked off the feeder and ends up all over the ground surrounding the feeder. Happens where we feed ours....

I would think a bit of normal salt would'nt bother any critters. Most of them hunt for salt at some points in time...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Natural salt should not be a problem, since it is short term and short exposure times to the birds.

Great, thanks.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Is there a different spot you can put it where your don’t need to get rid of any ice? Salt is not good for birds. Even if it was raised on your stoop, birds are messy eaters and much seed will fall onto the stoop where the salt is and other birds will be eating what fell while others eat from the tray. I would try to find a different spot.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8674 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought for sure Cornell U. would address this, but could find nothing about it on their site

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54715 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No idea about the salt harming the birds and I don't know what a "stoop" is Big Grin and you didn't mention the construction of it but if it happens to be masonry/concrete of any kind then salt is a no no on it.

THIS is the feeder I use. The squirrels can't destroy it and it holds enough seed that I don't have to refill it too often. Got mine a Tractor supply. You do have to unscrew the nut on top to refill, not terrible but not the most covenant either, and If not properly retightened, critter action and wind has unscrewed mind a couple times, letting it fall to the ground.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post